disk rather than use a (potentially damaged) image from the cache?

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-10-09 6:48 PM, Bob McLeod via groups.io wrote:
Well, have had a look at my friend's PC, and looks like everything is set up same as mine.  I can't see anything obvious that could be stopping JTAlert and WSJT-X from talking.  We uninstalled everything and reinstalled, rebooted, turned firewall off, just can't find anything that looks suspicious.  It was definitely working when he first set it up as he made some contacts which went through JTAlert and into DXKeeper, then the PC went to sleep and now JTAlert is not getting data from WSJT-X.  Something has gone to sleep and we can't wake it up.  Grateful any suggestions.
Thanks
Bob VP8LP

Bob McLeod

Hi Joe, Yes, he has done a restart.
73
Bob VP8LP

Joe Subich, W4TV

Any other software (e.g., logger) running? Perhaps it is not multicast
enabled (or multicast is not enabled in WSJTX) and the other software is blocking the UDP port.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-10-09 9:26 PM, Bob McLeod via groups.io wrote:
Hi Joe, Yes, he has done a restart.
73
Bob VP8LP

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/10/2021 6:15 am, Bob McLeod via groups.io wrote:
A friend is setting up his FT8 programs on a new PC.  He has WSJT-X, JTAlert and DXKeeper.  It was all working fine on the old PC, and he thinks he has installed it in the same way on the new PC.  In fact it seemed to be working, but the PC went to sleep at some stage with the programs open, and now JTAlert doesn't connect to WSJT-X (there is no band information in the title bar). That could have been a coincidence, but nothing he has tried will make it connect now - including making sure the 3 tick boxes on the WSJT-X Reporting tab that deal with UDP are checked.  I hope to be able to log on to remote view his PC later today, and I will go through checking the installations and settings against those on my working copy, but has anyone come across this before, or have any suggestions? Thanks Bob VP8LP

reading your other responses, my guess is that SpotCollector is running and it has WSJTX integration enabled. In that situation, SpotCollector is taking exclusive control of the UDP port and locking JTAlert out. It is not possible to run JTAlert and SpotCollector concurrently if SpotCollector has WSJTX integration enabled.

Normally, to allow multiple applications to work with WSJTX concurrently requires using UDP multicast. Unfortunately, the technology of SpotCollector does not support multicast UDP which is why the WSJTX integration needs to be turned off if you want to run JTAlert.

On 10/10/2021 2:04 pm, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) via groups.io wrote:
It is not possible to run JTAlert and SpotCollector concurrently if SpotCollector has WSJTX integration enabled.

Just to be clear. JTAlert and SpotCollector can run concurrently. I do it all the time.

But you cannot have SpotCollecter set to work with WSJTX directly. If you require SpotCollector to work with WSJTX directly, than you have no choice but to abandon using JTAlert.

JTAlert has had for many years the ability to feed decodes into SpotCollector. This is the only way to have SpotCollector and JTAlert running concurrently and for SpotCollector to display WSJTX decodes as local spots.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bob McLeod

Hi Laurie/Jim

Laurie - SpotCollector has not even been downloaded, so don't think that is the answer.  The only DXLab things downloaded are DXKeeper and DXCommander, but I don't think DXCommander is actually running - he is controlling the radio through WSJT-X.

Ref Jim's suggestion about Power/Sleep - he has worked through these settings, but as Jim says there are many places to check and not sure if he has caught them all, but as far as we can tell it shouldn't go to sleep in the future.

There may be a chance to get his PC later today (he lives 100 miles away from me) and we can have a play with it - have more time than him as I am retired.

Thanks for the replies.
73 Bob VP8LP

Bob McLeod

I have the PC now.  Reading through the help file for JTAlert, it mentions about copying the information from the "About" screen for the current operating state, so I was going to have a look at that and compare the status to my own installation, but the about screen doesn't appear.  So I thought perhaps it is a corrupt installation, so I uninstalled, restarted the PC and installed again - but it is still the same.

By the way, it is a new Windows 10 laptop with nothing else on it - just WSJT-X, JTAlert and DXKeeper.
73 Bob VP8LP

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-10 7:33 PM, Bob McLeod via groups.io wrote:
I have the PC now. Reading through the help file for JTAlert, it mentions about copying the information from the "About" screen for the current operating state, so I was going to have a look at that and compare the status to my own installation, but the about screen doesn't appear.
Sounds like the *wrong version* of dotNET 5.0.x is installed. You must
install the *DESKTOP* version. If you look in the right hand column
here: <https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/5.0> there are
*three* versions - ASP.NET Cor Runtime 5.0.10, .NET Desktop Runtime
5.0.10 and .NET Runtime 5.0.10. You want the *middle* one - the
*DESKTOP* version.

If the WSJTX version is 64 bit, you want the x64 installer. If the 32
bit version of WSJTX is installed you want the x86 installer.

Use Windows PC Settings -> Apps -> Apps and Features to look for
"Microsoft Windows Runtime - 5.0.xx" or Control Panel -> Programs
and Features to look for "Microsoft Windows Runtime - 5.0.x". If
you find "Microsoft Windows Runtime" *without* "DESKTOP" in the
name, the wrong version of dotNET 5.0.xx is installed.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-10-10 7:33 PM, Bob McLeod via groups.io wrote:
I have the PC now.  Reading through the help file for JTAlert, it mentions about copying the information from the "About" screen for the current operating state, so I was going to have a look at that and compare the status to my own installation, but the about screen doesn't appear.  So I thought perhaps it is a corrupt installation, so I uninstalled, restarted the PC and installed again - but it is still the same.
By the way, it is a new Windows 10 laptop with nothing else on it - just WSJT-X, JTAlert and DXKeeper.
73 Bob VP8LP

g4wjs

On 11/10/2021 01:06, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
If the WSJTX version is 64 bit, you want the x64 installer.  If the 32
bit version of WSJTX is installed you want the x86 installer.
Hi Joe,

just a small correction, the architecture of WSJT-X (32- or 64-bit) is not relevant here. The architecture version of the Microsoft .NET Deskop Runtime needed is the one that matches the architecture of the version of *JTAlert* that has been installed.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob McLeod

Problem solved.  As I was looking around the PC trying to work out what the issue was, I found several Windows functions not working - for example right click on the start menu - Control panel wouldn't open (although settings and device manager were OK).  So I started looking for a solution to that and ended up restoring Windows to it's out of the box state, saving personal settings only.

I then went through all the sleep settings again etc , reloaded WSJT-X, JTAlert and DXKeeper, and Dimension for the timing, and everything is working now.  Just don't know what caused Win10 to go faulty.

Thanks to everybody who has contributed advice.

73
Bob VP8LP