locked JTAlert not communicating with WSJT-X

Ed Crosby - W7UJ

Here are my settings:

JTAlert Instance       : #1
JTAlert Start Params   : /wsjtx
WSJT-X Window Title    : WSJT-X   v2.1.2   by K1JT
WSJT-X Command Line    : "C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsjtx.exe"
WSJT-X   --rig-name    :
WSJT-X Config File     : C:\Users\w7uj\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini
WSJT-X Version         :
WSJT-X Revision        :
WSJT-X Spec Op Mode    : None
WSJT-X UDP ID          :
WSJT-X UDP Port        : 2237
WSJT-X UDP Server      : 127.0.0.1
WSJT-X UDP MCast on LB : True
WSJT-X UDP Max Schema  :

UDP Ports used
JTAlert.exe           : 60922 50236
JTAlertV2.Manager.exe : 56044 56045 56046
JTAlertV2.Decodes.exe :

Audio output devices
[1] Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital High Definition Audio)

JTAlertV2.Manager (2.50.7.0) status
(2021-10-17 00:10:11 utc)
CLR Version       : 5.0.6
NET Framework     : .NET 5.0.6
Architecture      : x64 64bit
UDP Router        : Initialized : YES (WSJT-X)
Audio             : Initialized : YES (1 output devices)
Activity Service  : Initialized : YES (started : 58)
Messaging Service : Initialized : YES (started : 17)
HamSpots Service  : Initialized : YES
QRZ Xml           : Initialized : YES
HamQth Xml        : Initialized : YES
QRZ Log           : Initialized : YES
HamQth Log        : Initialized : YES
ClubLog Log       : Initialized : YES
Eqsl Log          : Initialized : YES
HrdLog Log        : Initialized : YES
DXLab DDE         : Initialized : YES
User Alert        : Initialized : YES
Updates Check     : Initialized : YES (started : 3600)
Environment Check : Initialized : YES (started : 3600)
Maintenance       : Initialized : YES (started : 3600)
It was working great for about a year and then nothing.

Any ideas?

Joe Subich, W4TV

What logging program and/or other WSJT-X add-on are you running?

Switch to Multicast UDP as documented in JTAlert -> Help ->
WSJT-X UDP Settings.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-10-16 8:15 PM, Ed Crosby - W7UJ wrote:
Here are my settings:
[...]

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/10/2021 11:15 am, Ed Crosby - W7UJ wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

Very likely you have an application taking exclusive control of the UDP Server assigned port effectively locking JTAlert out.

Your data shows that you are running WSJTX with the UDP Server settings set for unicast. This only becomes a problem when there are multiple applications running concurrently trying to work with WSJTX. Multicast UDP needs to be used when there are multiple applications running concurrently trying to work with WSJTX. JTAlert can run concurrently with other apps and WSJTX when all apps are set to use multicast UDP. That is the purpose of using multicast UDP.

If a single application does not support multicast, then you will need to disable its WSJTX integration or stop using JTAlert.

The JTAlert help file provides simple setup instructions for using WSJTX UDP multicast. Use the "Help -> WSJT-X UDP Setup" menu on the main JTAlert window.

BTW, your version of WSJTX (2.1.2) is very old. While that will not be the cause of your issues, I strongly suggest an upgrade. The latest version is 2.5.0. There have been many enhancements, fixes and decoding performance improvements since 2.1.2 was released.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tommy Evans

I can not get JTAlert and N1MM working at the same time.  Apparently N1MM does not support multicast UDP.   I have tried the JTAlert rebroadcast and N1MM rebroadcast and can not get either to work..  An other ideas or input ?  Thanks.

Tommy NE4J

Dave Garber

I run n1mm as a stand alone, then export my contacts to the log.  I only use it for rtty, so jtalert need not be running at that time

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On 20/10/2021 12:02 pm, Tommy Evans wrote:
I can not get JTAlert and N1MM working at the same time.  Apparently N1MM does not support multicast UDP.   I have tried the JTAlert rebroadcast and N1MM rebroadcast and can not get either to work..  An other ideas or input ?  Thanks.

Tommy NE4J

I found an old post from the N1MM developer where they indicate that (at that time) they had no intention of coding multicast support. My internal response when I read that was "WTF, why?"

I understand old code-technology based applications, like those that use Visual Basic 6 not supporting multicast as the network code routines of VB6 cannot handle it. But, N!MM is written in a very modern language that can easily support multicast operations.

It takes a couple of lines of code to switch between unicast and multicast support. It is not rocket science. The net is littered with numerous code samples on how to support multicast UDP. Why the N1MM developer does not embrace this minor change/enhancement is unknown to me. I assume he has his reasons.

As for getting JTAlert and N1MM to operate concurrently, try this...
  1. first get JTAlert working with WSJTX
  2. turn off the"Secondary UDP Server" in WSJTX.
  3. enable the UDP resend option in JTAlert.
  4. change N1MM to listen to the JTAlert resend UDP traffic and not have it set to listen to WSJTX directly.

Note: The above has not been tested recently. This is how it worked in the past before N1MM had any support for working with WSJTX directly.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tommy Evans

The above did not work.  Apparently the UDP resend is making some change to the data that N1MM does not recognize the data.  I thought the issue was caused by the latest windows 10 update but there was a N1MM update about the same time.  I suspect that is what is the root of the issue.  N1MM work ok getting the data direct from WSJTX.  Thanks for the help and let me know if I can do anything else on my end.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/10/2021 12:18 pm, Tommy Evans wrote:
Apparently the UDP resend is making some change to the data that N1MM does not recognize the data

That is wrong!

JTAlert does not alter the data, it is simply reseeding what it receives on a port different from which it is received. That new port (resend port set in JTAlert) is where N1MM should be listening, not to the WSJTX configured port.

I am 100% certain that JTAlert does not alter the data being resent.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tommy Evans

Below is what I have the Resend set to:

Here is the capture:

As is shown the 127.0.2.1 port  2334 is not shown.  What settings do i have wrong  or what am I missing ?

Thanks.

Tommy NE4J

Tom Melvin

Hi

Your dump is looking at 127.0.0.1 yet you are sending to 127.0.2.1.

Guessing your N1MM install is on same machine so IP should be 127.0.0.1 - what port is N1MM setup for? - set the resend port to what N1MM is listening on.

I don’t see N1MM on you UPDWatch program - I would expect it to be showing up along with port number - unless you have filters set. N1MM is running?

Tom
GM8MJV