locked JTAlert--new install denied-- Error - MoveFile failed: code 5.

Peter Eckersberger

Hello,

Today my anti virus program "Avira Security" denied starting "JTAlert" and put the necessary exe-file for one reason or an other into the virus container. No panic so far as this happened
also several times in the past. I downloaded the newest "JTAlert 2.50.4.Install.exe" and tried to make the recommended new install. Unfortunately it didn't work out properly. When clicking on the install.exe the procedure started as usual but after a few seconds the window # 2 popped up ...

As you may see the program got installed BUT ...

after a second or so windows # 4 came up ...

At the very same moment the installation procedure got aborted and all the files in the Hamapps folder # 2 were removed.

Well, here I'm. Any advise what may cause this misbehave and how to overcome it? TIA!

73 de Peter, OE3EPW
<oe3epw@...>

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 3/08/2021 6:08 pm, Adrian Fewster wrote:

Peter did you go to windows programs/apps and uninstall the existing JTAlert system first, before installing the replacement ?

73

Adrian Fewster
There is no need to uninstall JTAlert first. This has always been the case, just run or rerun the installer is all that is needed. The same if downgrading versions, just run the old installer.

On 3/08/2021 5:34 pm, Peter Eckersberger wrote:
Hello,

Today my anti virus program "Avira Security" denied starting "JTAlert" and put the necessary exe-file for one reason or an other into the virus container. No panic so far as this happened
also several times in the past. I downloaded the newest "JTAlert 2.50.4.Install.exe" and tried to make the recommended new install. Unfortunately it didn't work out properly. When clicking on the install.exe the procedure started as usual but after a few seconds the window # 2 popped up ...

As you may see the program got installed BUT ...

after a second or so windows # 4 came up ...

At the very same moment the installation procedure got aborted and all the files in the Hamapps folder # 2 were removed.

Well, here I'm. Any advise what may cause this misbehave and how to overcome it? TIA!

73 de Peter, OE3EPW

The problem is that your Protection software was interfering with the installation. The installer when extracting files creates files in a temporary location first then moves them to the install location was they have been fully extracted and written to disk. Your protection software removed files that the installer had not finished moving to the new location.

The problem is with Avira falsely flagging the JTAlert installer files, The is nothing that the JTAlert installer can do, it is in your hands to curb this unwarranted interference by Avira.

de Laurie VK3AMA

chas cartmel

I have encountered that or similar. It was simply that a file was left open
and as such the move of a file to replace this was not allowed.
After a cold and dark start of the PC this is always fixed. I am sure this
was the first thing you tried though.
It may be relevant that I have my ham stuff installed on a separate disk and
not in either of the Program Files folders.

73 Charlie
G4EST
www.g4est.me.uk
Stay safe out there