locked JTAlert Issue

rob neff

Hey all,

I sent a support request through the app so I apologize if this is a duplicate for some. However I have more information based on Laurie’s response about the jtalertv2.manager module.

The issue is that under my windows 10 profile, which is the profile the app was installed under, JTAlert 2.50.1 runs fine. When I sign out and sign in as my wife the app will display but I get no call sign window, it does not read the band I am on and will eventually error out saying it cannot talk to wsjtx on the ip and port (which is correct according to the ini file). Reinstalling the app, rebooting, nothing helped. Even the program updates option in manage settings says error downloading data until I click check for updates.

Then a few moments ago I saw Laurie’s reply about jtalertv2.manager doing a number of those functions so I signed in as my wife and sure enough, that app is not running. On my profile I see a CMD instance as well as the manager app but on her profile, nothing. Attempting to run the manager executable just immediately closes. Executing it from a command prompt says it is expecting -I, init string.

Is there something I can do at this point to troubleshoot further? I don’t see anything strange in the debug log files.

Thanks,

Rob KW2E

rob neff

Okay, I tried running the shortcut on the desktop as Admin and it runs now. I will make that permanent.

Sorry for the trouble.

Rob KW2E

On May 11, 2021, at 7:50 PM, rob neff via groups.io <rob=houseofneff.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hey all,

I sent a support request through the app so I apologize if this is a duplicate for some. However I have more information based on Laurie’s response about the jtalertv2.manager module.

The issue is that under my windows 10 profile, which is the profile the app was installed under, JTAlert 2.50.1 runs fine. When I sign out and sign in as my wife the app will display but I get no call sign window, it does not read the band I am on and will eventually error out saying it cannot talk to wsjtx on the ip and port (which is correct according to the ini file). Reinstalling the app, rebooting, nothing helped. Even the program updates option in manage settings says error downloading data until I click check for updates.

Then a few moments ago I saw Laurie’s reply about jtalertv2.manager doing a number of those functions so I signed in as my wife and sure enough, that app is not running. On my profile I see a CMD instance as well as the manager app but on her profile, nothing. Attempting to run the manager executable just immediately closes. Executing it from a command prompt says it is expecting -I, init string.

Is there something I can do at this point to troubleshoot further? I don’t see anything strange in the debug log files.

Thanks,

Rob KW2E

neil_zampella

Rob,

you should NOT be running JTAlert with 'Administrator' privileges, it should not be necessary..    If you sent a report request, Laurie will respond directly, but I suspect he'll tell you the same thing as the program is not written to need such privileges.     Do you have any other ham-related programs running as such?  

Neil, KN3ILZ

rob neff

Neil, only apps running are HRD, HRD Logbook, WSJTX 2.4.0 RC4 and JTAlert 2.50.1 and Dimension 4. 

I will wait for a response from Laurie but for now it’s working with admin. 

Rob KW2E

On May 12, 2021, at 10:19 AM, neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

Rob,

you should NOT be running JTAlert with 'Administrator' privileges, it should not be necessary..    If you sent a report request, Laurie will respond directly, but I suspect he'll tell you the same thing as the program is not written to need such privileges.     Do you have any other ham-related programs running as such?  

Neil, KN3ILZ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/05/2021 11:52 am, rob neff via groups.io wrote:
Okay, I tried running the shortcut on the desktop as Admin and it runs now. I will make that permanent. 

Sorry for the trouble. 

Rob KW2E

NO! There should be no need to run JTAlert elevated if installed correctly.

On the affected Windows account, did you install JTAlert or are you relying on the JTAlert install under the other (working) account. If the later, that explains why you need to elevate JTAlert as it is trying to access the %localappdata% area of another Windows account which is normally prevented due to Windows security permissions

For each Windows account you need to install JTAlert.

If your reason for using a secondary Windows account is so that you can use a different Callsign with JTAlert. That is easily accomplished by creating a new JTAlert shortcut with an appropriate callsign command parameter. See the "Station Callsign" section of the Settings window.

de Laurie VK3AMA