Topics

JTAlert integration with MSHV application

Phil, VK1HX

Hi Laurie et all,

I can see this topic has been discussed some time ago. I am not sure what the technical requirement is needed for JTAlert to connect to MSHV, however the new release of MSHV is supporting PSK Reporter Spotting and UDP Broadcasting. Is the UDP broadcasting (127.0.0.1, Port: 2237, which is editable) what is required for JTAlert to connect, that was taken out of the application previously?

I have recently switched to MSHV as JTDX has no plans to implement FT4 in future release of their release candidate application. It would be nice to have JTAlert option for MSHV. Maybe what is needed for MSHV can be put to the developer as a release update. I happy to champion that cause for such great programs.

Regards
Phil VK1HX

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/08/2019 9:22 pm, Phil, VK1HX wrote:
I can see this topic has been discussed some time ago. I am not sure what the technical requirement is needed for JTAlert to connect to MSHV, however the new release of MSHV is supporting PSK Reporter Spotting and UDP Broadcasting. Is the UDP broadcasting (127.0.0.1, Port: 2237, which is editable) what is required for JTAlert to connect, that was taken out of the application previously?

I have recently switched to MSHV as JTDX has no plans to implement FT4 in future release of their release candidate application. It would be nice to have JTAlert option for MSHV. Maybe what is needed for MSHV can be put to the developer as a release update. I happy to champion that cause for such great programs.

Regards
Phil VK1HX
Phil,

MSHV integration is still on the "to be investigated/tested" list. It is not high priority.

If you want to run FT4, use WSJT-X, it works well. Starting JTAlert with the appropriate shortcut is all that is needed, there are no changes needed to JTAlert (except for starting using the correct shortcut) when switching between FT mode application.

On 11/08/2019 9:22 pm, Phil, VK1HX wrote:
I can see this topic has been discussed some time ago. I am not sure what the technical requirement is needed for JTAlert to connect to MSHV, however the new release of MSHV is supporting PSK Reporter Spotting and UDP Broadcasting. Is the UDP broadcasting (127.0.0.1, Port: 2237, which is editable) what is required for JTAlert to connect, that was taken out of the application previously?

I have recently switched to MSHV as JTDX has no plans to implement FT4 in future release of their release candidate application. It would be nice to have JTAlert option for MSHV. Maybe what is needed for MSHV can be put to the developer as a release update. I happy to champion that cause for such great programs.

Regards
Phil VK1HX
Phil,

I found some time to do some MSHV testing, the news is not good.

MSHV implements a subset of the WSJT-X UDP API, not ideal, but I could possibly work with. But what is implemented is fundamentally flawed. MSHV doesn't generate UDP Status messages when the Band changes or when the DXCall is changed/added/cleared. Both these are show-stoppers for JTAlert. These deficiencies were encountered early in my testing and I chose to not pursue any further testing.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Phil, VK1HX

Hi Laurie,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time and effort to take a look at the possibilities. My inquiry about JTAlert support for MSHV is a group request, essentially I am the spokes person, hi hi.

I known WSJT-X and JTDX are the primary applications for JTAlert, however I and some others (both in Aust and overseas) have been using JTDX over WSJT-X. From my experience with WSJT-X and the latest release, I've have difficulties with the application working and connecting to my SDR/PC setup where as JTDX just works. I am sure this is probably only an issue for me. When JTDX developers told me that they have not intention on implementing FT4 I've searched for an alternative, hence MSHV. Again it works perfectly and is as equally sensitive to rx decoded signals as JTDX. What is interesting I find MSHV (as it is setup on my system) does not suffer missed decodes, like the other applications.

Is it possible for you to provide me with the exact UDP API etc details that is needed in MSHV for JTAlert to work fully and I will make a request to MSHV developers. Maybe I could just request them to put the WSJT-X UDP API back into MSHV?

Again I thank you for taking the time to investigate and get back to me. I'm available to do any testing if think that is worth while.

Regards
Phil - VK1HX

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/08/2019 9:16 pm, Phil, VK1HX wrote:
Is it possible for you to provide me with the exact UDP API etc details that is needed in MSHV for JTAlert to work fully and I will make a request to MSHV developers. Maybe I could just request them to put the WSJT-X UDP API back into MSHV?

Regards
Phil - VK1HX
Phil,

The MSHV devs already have access to the API specs of WSJT-X. It is fully documented in the "NetworkMessage.hpp" file.
I note that MSHV has a similar file, "NetworkMessage.h". It appears to be missing some of the api commands and what is documented, some of the commands are missing fields added in later WSJT-X updates (long ago). It looks very much like a very old version of the WSJT-X API.

Regardless of the age of their API implementation, the major defects with the Status not reporting Band or DXCall changes (no Status packet being generated at all) are not related to the API specs, but to a lack of proper support for the API Status command.

de Laurie VK3AMA