locked JTAlert Boot issue

Jim Denneny

Laurie

Running latest JTAlert released version 2.50.1.  Net 5 also installed The past few days JTAlert hangs during boot sequence.  Don't know if it is a pc or app issue.  I cannot kill the loading message with Task manager.  Task Manager shows  JTAlert as not responding.  Reboot fixes it usually.

I have run several diagnostic programs without issue.  PC is Win10 64bit with latest MS updates. No evidence of malware etc.  Am I the only one experiencing this?

73, Jim K7EG

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/05/2021 3:17 am, Jim Denneny wrote:
Running latest JTAlert released version 2.50.1.  Net 5 also installed The past few days JTAlert hangs during boot sequence.  Don't know if it is a pc or app issue.  I cannot kill the loading message with Task manager.  Task Manager shows  JTAlert as not responding.  Reboot fixes it usually.

I have run several diagnostic programs without issue.  PC is Win10 64bit with latest MS updates. No evidence of malware etc.  Am I the only one experiencing this?

73, Jim K7EG

Jim,

I have not seen any other reports of this. Sounds like possible PC Protection interference"

When JTAlert hangs, has it completed its loading or is there a specific window that appears to be hanging or not loading.

If a PC restart corrects the problem, that indicates that it is unlikely a config file issue.

When you view a hung JTAlert in taskmanager, are you seeing the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process? You should as it is core to proper functioning. It is the component that requires the .NET 5 runtime.

You can check if it is a .NET runtime issue by executing the "NET Framework Check" shortcut located in the Windows "HamApps JTAlert" start menu group. Does it run successfully?

de Laurie VK3AMA

KE7AZ

Me, too.....

Two weeks ago, JTAlert was running fine.  Today, not so much.  It goes into the start up process, I get the loading settings message, then it disappears.  No sign of JTAlert in the Task Manager.  I tried upgrading wsjt-x to 2.3.1 and JTAlert to 2.50.1 and have the same problem.  Windows 10.

Logan, KE7AZ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/05/2021 6:58 am, KE7AZ wrote:
Me, too.....

Two weeks ago, JTAlert was running fine.  Today, not so much.  It goes into the start up process, I get the loading settings message, then it disappears.  No sign of JTAlert in the Task Manager.  I tried upgrading wsjt-x to 2.3.1 and JTAlert to 2.50.1 and have the same problem.  Windows 10.

Logan, KE7AZ

Very likely your PC protection software has decided to take a dislike to JTAlert and is inappropriately interfering with JTAlert operation. You will need to set your software to consider JTAlert safe.

What protection software do you use?

If you're uneasy about setting your protection software with an override for JTAlert, than submit JTAlert to the protection software vendor for analysis, once they give JTAlert the "all clear", which I am sure they will, than you will need to configure their software appropriately.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim Denneny

Thanks Laurie.  Don't think it is protection hardware.  I am always warned if action is needed.  I use TotalAV.  I also ran Restoro with no malware noted.  Fingers crossed.

I reinstalled Net 5 and 2.50.1.  So far JTAlert has not crashed. - Jim K7EG

KE7AZ

I'm running MS Defender, however, i'm not getting any notifications or warnings about a virus being detected.  I went through and shut down all virus and firewall protections and still no success.

Any other ideas?

Logan

KE7AZ

Here is the failure data from the Event Viewer

Faulting application name: JTAlert.exe, version: 2.50.1.0, time stamp: 0x608a69d2
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x05517f78
Faulting process id: 0x449c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d74dd21a05ee03
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert\JTAlert.exe
Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 46f2f19c-65db-4304-928b-567514d3caca
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I also found events in the Windows log for Applications that identified an application error for JTAlert.  There were links to dump files but I didn't have permission to access. 

Logan

Jim Denneny

Logan

I am having same issue with latest JTAlert. OS is latest updated Win 10x64.  I have double-checked all protection software and find no trace of any action.  I am trying to figure out how to rollback JTAlert.  I am not sure whether I must also rollback NET framework as well.

Laurie.  You now have at least two incidents of this issue.  HELP.

73, Jim K7EG

Jim Denneny

I should add that a total reboot sometimes allows JTAlert to run.  Once it is running, all is OK.  Again, if there was any interaction with protection software, I would know it.  I have examined TotalAV and Win Defender and see nothing.

Jim K7EG