locked JTALERT "B4"

Steve Roth - AD4K

I recently upgraded to JTALERT Version 2.50.5 which has the new "Miscellaneous Alerts" "B4" history selection.  I did not change my B4 settings to anything but continuous (no timeout).  It might be coincidental but since then some of my "B4" annotations to previously contacted stations are being dropped.  For example, this morning I contacted V31MA on 20M FT4.  V31MA was already in my logbook from a 20M contact in the past, both FT4 and FT8.  There was no "B4" annotation on his callsign block and his block was "CQ Green".  After the contact I got a "B4" annotation on his callsign block and it turned red.  I went to 20M FT8 and came back to 20M FT4.  V31MA was still there but his callsign block did not have "B4" in it and it was "CQ Green".  So, I called V31MA and got another "B4" annotation and it changed color to red.  I then went to 20M FT8 for a minute, then back to 20M FT4 and V31MA was still there but the "B4" annotation was gone and it was "CQ Green" again.

I am using HRD with with HRD logging system.  I have no boxes checked on the JTALERT "Worked B4" setting.  I let HRD Logbook do my logging direct from WSJT-X.  Under the JTALERT Setting "Logging" I have nothing selected and never have.  I never noticed this issue before.

Thanks, Steve    AD4K

g4wjs

On 21/08/2021 14:17, Steve Roth - AD4K wrote:
[...]

Steve,

JTAlert loads worked before data form your logging program at startup and updates it as you log stations, if you don't have JTAlert doing the logging into your logging program then it will not update its database of stations worked since it was last started. In other words your configuration to log directly from WSJT-X to the HRD logbook is invalid.

Bill
G4WJS.

Steve Roth - AD4K

Okay Thanks, I will give that a try.  Steve - AD4K

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 9:20 AM g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:
On 21/08/2021 14:17, Steve Roth - AD4K wrote:
> I recently upgraded to JTALERT Version 2.50.5 which has the new
> "Miscellaneous Alerts" "B4" history selection.  I did not change my B4
> settings to anything but continuous (no timeout).  It might be
> coincidental but since then some of my "B4" annotations to previously
> contacted stations are being dropped.  For example, this morning I
> contacted V31MA on 20M FT4.  V31MA was already in my logbook from a
> 20M contact in the past, both FT4 and FT8. There was no "B4"
> annotation on his callsign block and his block was "CQ Green".  After
> the contact I got a "B4" annotation on his callsign block and it
> turned red.  I went to 20M FT8 and came back to 20M FT4.  V31MA was
> still there but his callsign block did not have "B4" in it and it was
> "CQ Green".  So, I called V31MA and got another "B4" annotation and it
> changed color to red.  I then went to 20M FT8 for a minute, then back
> to 20M FT4 and V31MA was still there but the "B4" annotation was gone
> and it was "CQ Green" again.
>
> I am using HRD with with HRD logging system.  I have no boxes checked
> on the JTALERT "Worked B4" setting.  I let HRD Logbook do my logging
> direct from WSJT-X.  Under the JTALERT Setting "Logging" I have
> nothing selected and never have.  I never noticed this issue before.
>

> Thanks, Steve    AD4K

Steve,

JTAlert loads worked before data form your logging program at startup
and updates it as you log stations, if you don't have JTAlert doing the
logging into your logging program then it will not update its database
of stations worked since it was last started. In other words your
configuration to log directly from WSJT-X to the HRD logbook is invalid.

Bill
G4WJS.

DAVID MM0AMW

I already raised this issue in message #36167 in mid July. It only seems to happen on FT4 as everything works as expected on FT8.  It also happens if you switch bands and back again whilst on FT4.

73
David
MM0AMW

Steve Roth - AD4K

Thanks much for solving my mystery.  Sorry I missed your previous post - I tend to not do much FT4 and I never had the occasion to experience the problem. The situation with V31MA constantly calling gave me the opportunity to illustrate the issue.

I will go back to the way I was doing it (just using HRD to log for me).

Regards, Steve  AD4K

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 10:30 AM DAVID MM0AMW via groups.io <david.gillies116=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I already raised this issue in message #36167 in mid July. It only seems to happen on FT4 as everything works as expected on FT8.  It also happens if you switch bands and back again whilst on FT4.

73
David
MM0AMW

Bob Frostholm

test

73

Bob

Ko6Lu

--
Bob
KO6LU

f8nhf

Good evening Steve
can you tell me the method you use
I have HRD de luxe as my log
73 Denis F8NHF

Steve Roth - AD4K

Here are my setup pages.  This works for me.

JTALERT HRD LOG Jul 21.jpg
JTALERT LOGGING.jpg
JTALERT WORKED B4.jpg
WSJT-X Reporting.jpg

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 12:08 PM f8nhf <f8nhf@...> wrote:
Good evening Steve
can you tell me the method you use
I have HRD de luxe as my log
73 Denis F8NHF

neil_zampella

You do realize that this will not give you any alerts from JTAlert as it has no access to see if you worked anyone before on any mode.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Steve Roth - AD4K

Okay, I believe you.  The way it works now it gives me B4 data.  Lately I have been having issues with unreliable B4 data.

What is the correct way to do it?  I am all ears as having seen your advice in past I believe you can help.

Thanks, Steve

In your first post you said :

"I am using HRD with with HRD logging system.  I have no boxes checked on the JTALERT "Worked B4" setting.  I let HRD Logbook do my logging direct from WSJT-X.  Under the JTALERT Setting "Logging" I have nothing selected and never have.  I never noticed this issue before.

In which case I'm surprised you were getting any B4 notifications in JTAlert at all.   JTAlert must have access to the log in order to do the B4 checks from prior contacts..

Turn ON the JTAlert HRD logging by checking ENABLE HRD V5/V6 logging in JTAlert.   Turn OFF the secondary UDP settings in WSJT-X.

I've also seen threads about issues with the MS Access database in HRD.   I'd convert your log to the other database option, Maria DB.    Do a database backup before you do this.

This allows JTAlert to properly signal all alerts based on real-time data using logbook confirmations etc, from LoTW and eQSL.

Neil, KN3iLZ

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Steve Roth - AD4K wrote:

Okay, I believe you.  The way it works now it gives me B4 data.  Lately I have been having issues with unreliable B4 data.

What is the correct way to do it?  I am all ears as having seen your advice in past I believe you can help.

Thanks, Steve

Steve Roth - AD4K

I will make the changes and let you know.

With my current settings I am getting all the audio alerts (new country, wanted callsign, etc.) and the B4 was working for all.  I recently ran into some B4 issues.

Thanks for the help, I want to get this correct.  Will advise.

Regards, Steve Roth  AD4K

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 7:53 AM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

In your first post you said :

[...]

Okay, I applied the changes you suggested (other than change the MS Access database) with bad results.  I rebooted JTALERT and WSJT-X everything after I made the changes.  Here is what I saw.  KZ9DX had a "B4" added to his call tile on JTALERT and it turned red.

Log Error.jpg
Log w error.jpg
Log Error 2.jpg

In your first post you said :

[...]

Oh also, the "Logged B4 Database" in JTALERT is grayed out.

In your first post you said :

[...]

I changed the JTALERT and WSJT-X settings back to the way I originally had then and made a successful contact which put it into my HRD logbook correctly, added "B4" to the contact's tile and the tile turned red.  The "Log B4 database was back and it was updated at the time I made the last log entry for my contact.

Regards, Steve

In your first post you said :

[...]

The error just said that JTAlert couldn't verify that the QSO was updated, that could mean that the delay setting in JTAlert was not long enough.   The grayed 'B4' file is not a bad thing, its normal as JTAlert is going to your main log for all the older B4 data which means its updating each time you start the program.

You said that JTAlert showed the QSO as B4, and that's what you want.     As far as it colored red, that's a personal preference, I have mine setup fo show B4 as gray.

None of that (other than the verification) is a 'bad result'.   You can try increasing the time JTAlert pauses before it verifies the QSO was logged, or just turn that verification off.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Steve Roth - AD4K

Okay, I will keep trying.... Thanks

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 9:40 AM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

The error just said that JTAlert couldn't verify that the QSO was updated, that could mean that the delay setting in JTAlert was not long enough.   The grayed 'B4' file is not a bad thing, its normal as JTAlert is going to your main log for all the older B4 data which means its updating each time you start the program.

You said that JTAlert showed the QSO as B4, and that's what you want.     As far as it colored red, that's a personal preference, I have mine setup fo show B4 as gray.

None of that (other than the verification) is a 'bad result'.   You can try increasing the time JTAlert pauses before it verifies the QSO was logged, or just turn that verification off.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Steve Roth - AD4K

I tried various things, including a 10 sec delay.  I got the same error.  It does put something in HRD logbook but the date is missing as well as some of the other fields.  It also puts a logbook entry direct from WSJT-X with everything correct.

I am thinking that there are other settings in WSJT-X and JTALERT which may be impacting things working correctly - i.e., JTALERT talking to WSJT-X and both talking to HRD Logbook.  Perhaps not, but that is my feeling after reviewing some YouTube sessions discussing similarities with my setup.  For example, there is a "QSO Forwarding" setup page in HRD Logbook.  My current settings do not match those that I found on several YouTube sessions.  I would like to find a person who is using the same setup I have (WSJT-X and JTALERT and HRD Logbook) so I could get screen shots of their setup.

I am usually pretty good at this stuff but not this time.  The setup I have is working, albeit not the best configuration and lacking in correct B4 data.

Just as an experiment I set my HRD Logging to on, then did a  Rebuild Alert Database.  That messed up the alert data for DXCC worked and wiped out the States Worked data.  I recovered from that as I keep good records of my current stuff before messing with new stuff..

I truly appreciate your help.  But, I regret bothering you.