locked JTAlert and WSJTX in linux


Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>
 

I have JTAlert installed under crossover in debian 10 and also have linux wsjtx 2.5.0rc3 running.
JTAlert is waiting to see wsjtx to start before it will continue startup.
What is the detection method please, as I thought the udp port activity may have been the trigger ?

73

vk4tux


HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 29/07/2021 8:23 pm, Adrian Fewster wrote:
I have JTAlert installed under crossover in debian 10 and also have linux wsjtx 2.5.0rc3 running.
JTAlert is waiting to see wsjtx to start before it will continue startup.
What is the detection method please, as I thought the udp port activity may have been the trigger ?

73

vk4tux

JTAlert will trigger on detected UDP activity, BUT to do that JTAlert has to know on what UDP port to listen. It determines the port automatically by examining the config file of detected WSJT-X instances. To know which config file to read JTAlert has to know if WSJT-X was started with a --rig-name parameter or not, it does this by examining the command-line used to start a detected WSJT-X instance. JTAlert enumerates the processes on the JTAlert PC looking for running WSJT-X instances. JTAlert will not find the Debian WSJT-X process because it is not running on the JTAlert PC.

de Laurie VK3AMA


Jim Nortron
 

Speaking for myself only, in the JTAlert Settings I copy, then paste the command line from wsjtx or JT dx,  which ever you prefer, from that’s programs startup icon properties to JTAlerts Applications Auto-Start item. Then I put a tick in the Start box and the Close box. Mine reads, C:\JTDX\156\bin\jtdx.exe I hope this helps. WD4T 


Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>
 

Laurie, Just to be clear JTAlert is running on the same debian 10 PC under crossover (advanced version of wine with excellent NET support).

So for this to be successful the process detection requirement would need to be disabled and the UDP port configurable.

If that was possible it would work wonderfully in this combination. I have read others linux blogs on issue trying to use JTalert under linux in emulator software,

and see now why they said it did not work out. They usually turn to gridtracker which is supported in linux directly.

If there is an accessible file or register IU can modify to let it work , that would be wonderful. I am very sure it is possible.

I run also windows HRD under crossover with linux wsjtx for FT-897 HRD selection cat bridging via DDE etc,  and other localhost porting, and it all works great.


Thankyou


vk4tux

On 30/7/21 6:35 am, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 29/07/2021 8:23 pm, Adrian Fewster wrote:
I have JTAlert installed under crossover in debian 10 and also have linux wsjtx 2.5.0rc3 running.
JTAlert is waiting to see wsjtx to start before it will continue startup.
What is the detection method please, as I thought the udp port activity may have been the trigger ?

73

vk4tux

JTAlert will trigger on detected UDP activity, BUT to do that JTAlert has to know on what UDP port to listen. It determines the port automatically by examining the config file of detected WSJT-X instances. To know which config file to read JTAlert has to know if WSJT-X was started with a --rig-name parameter or not, it does this by examining the command-line used to start a detected WSJT-X instance. JTAlert enumerates the processes on the JTAlert PC looking for running WSJT-X instances. JTAlert will not find the Debian WSJT-X process because it is not running on the JTAlert PC.

de Laurie VK3AMA


Don Melcher
 

Wouldn’t making the UDP port configurable also allow JTAlert running on a Windows PC to connect to an instance of WSJT-X on another - no matter what system WSJT-X is running under?
--
Don
W6CZ
DM07


Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>
 

Yes if the IP could also be set. It would be good, These type programs run great under crossover in linux.

If a manual/auto option was added at install, it could provide the option, under applications > wsjtx, where the fwd rx traffic port config exists, to add the main porting config.


vk4tux

On 31/7/21 12:02 am, Don Melcher wrote:
Wouldn’t making the UDP port configurable also allow JTAlert running on a Windows PC to connect to an instance of WSJT-X on another - no matter what system WSJT-X is running under?
--
Don
W6CZ
DM07


Don Melcher
 

I desire to run WSJT-X under Linux and connect over IP with a W10 machine. 
--
Don
W6CZ
DM07