locked JTAlert 2.50 - quits working #FT8

ag5pc@...

I tried again, either JTAlert works and I cannot log or JTAlert doesn't work and I can log. Now JTAlert works for 2 or 3 WSJT cycles and then dies with this error message:

I reverted to 2.16 and it's even worse. The grid keeps blanking and refreshing every second or two.

John

I was having problems with my audio popping and squawking after after starting up WSJT-X and JT Alert, plus the Alert window would disappear and reappear, I had done the not ready for distribution Win 10 update.

After reading the mail on this or a similar thread, I decided to revert my .net back to ver 5.0.0 vise 5.0.7 (or whatever it was called).

After going back to .net 5, everything worked great.

Hope this helps.

John
VE7KKQ

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 9:10 AM <ag5pc@...> wrote:
I tried again, either JTAlert works and I cannot log or JTAlert doesn't work and I can log. Now JTAlert works for 2 or 3 WSJT cycles and then dies with this error message:

I reverted to 2.16 and it's even worse. The grid keeps blanking and refreshing every second or two.

Bob Frostholm

Hi john,

Same problem here.... exact symptoms with Win 7.... I went back to 5.0.5 and all is well except Microsoft keeps trying to reinstall 5.0.7

73

Bob

Ko6Lu

--
Bob
KO6LU

John

Hi Bob,

I guess we had better activate the "Do not Update" feature every six days.
I did go to the MS Support site and they are aware of the .net audio issue and say they are working on it.

Patience is required till the fix is ready.

Stay safe.

John
VE7KKQ

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 10:25 AM Bob Frostholm <bob@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Black

Do you have a link for that?
I reported it to the Feedback hub.

Mike W9MDB

On 6/14/2021 10:28 AM, John via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Don Roden

How do I *positively* turn off updates in Win 7 ?

W4DNR

On 2021-06-14 12:24 pm, Bob Frostholm wrote:

Hi john,

Same problem here.... exact symptoms with Win 7.... I went back to 5.0.5 and all is well except Microsoft keeps trying to reinstall 5.0.7

73

Bob

Ko6Lu

Charlie - K5EY

I'm experiencing the same symptoms with Desktop Runtime 5.0.7. I reverted to 5.0.6 and all was well. However I didn't want to divorce myself from the MS updates by pausing them. So I reinstalled 5.0.7 and turned off the sound in JTAlert. (JTAlert Menu >> Sound >> OFF.)  With the sound turned off everything works fine with Runtime 5.0.7. I figure that it is no big deal to operate without sound until the fix is out. If you can't live without sound, try JTDX. It has a "beep on own call" function.
Charlie -- K5EY

Bob Frostholm

Only way I know is to change OS..... Linux?

73

Bob

Ko6Lu

On 2021-06-14 12:24 pm, Bob Frostholm wrote:

Hi john,

Same problem here.... exact symptoms with Win 7.... I went back to 5.0.5 and all is well except Microsoft keeps trying to reinstall 5.0.7

73

Bob

Ko6Lu

--
Bob
KO6LU

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 15/06/2021 5:56 am, Charlie - K5EY wrote:
I'm experiencing the same symptoms with Desktop Runtime 5.0.7. I reverted to 5.0.6 and all was well. However I didn't want to divorce myself from the MS updates by pausing them. So I reinstalled 5.0.7 and turned off the sound in JTAlert. (JTAlert Menu >> Sound >> OFF.)  With the sound turned off everything works fine with Runtime 5.0.7. I figure that it is no big deal to operate without sound until the fix is out.
FYI,

A fixed JTAlert is currently with the Test Team. I expect to make a public release in 2 or 3 days.

Why 2 or 3 days you may ask. The audio fix/workaround is tacked onto the upcoming 2.50.2 release which has a number of enhancements/changes that need to be fully documented, that's taking time, and I was unable to produce a quick fix release without all the new changes going live.

Unfortunately, in order to workaround the audio defect introduced with the NET 5.0.7 runtime, I had to abandon (temporarily) the existing audio management library and use an alternative which does not allow for sound-device selection for audio playback, resulting in all audio being played on whatever device is set as the default for Windows.

de Laurie VK3AMA