locked JTAlert 2.50.1 Callsigns Window Blanks When Logging Contact

Paul

Laurie,

I installed the latest version of WSJT-X (2.3.1) at the same time as updating to this latest version of JTAlert (2.50.1).  I am thrilled with version 2.50 of JTAlert and thank you for all your excellent work on it.

However, there is one problem that I have not found a solution to, namely, the JTAlert Callsigns window blanks whenever I log a contact.

My setup is configured to ask before logging a contact (to allow me to add a comment should I so desire) and, after I click okay to log the contact, when the ‘contact logged’ confirmation window pops up, the JTAlert Callsigns window blanks.

This did not occur with the previous versions of WSJT-X and JTAlert, and I often spotted a station that I wished to call while I was engaged in a contact, and I was ready to select that ‘next’ station upon contact completion.  I am not able to do that now because the window blanks and I lose the opportunity until a cycle or two later.

Can you advise where I may find a setting that would prevent this blanking from occurring, or is there a potential problem with my installation?

Thank you & 73…  Paul (VE3PS)

DAVID MM0AMW

Go to JT Alert main window, Settings/Manage settings or hit F2/ Logging, then scroll down the Logging options list and second from bottom make sure Clear callsigns after logging is unticked.

73 David MM0AMW

[...]

Thanks very much David.  I looked at that settings ‘page’ several times and did not see the setting, but that was because I was ‘blind’ to the scroll bar.  😊

I apologize if this ‘thank you’ starts a new thread, but I have previously commented that I have been unable to find any way to reply to posts in this group even though I have submitted at least two (and possibly more) requests to join the group.

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Go to JT Alert main window, Settings/Manage settings or hit F2/ Logging, then scroll down the Logging options list and second from bottom make sure Clear callsigns after logging is unticked.

73 David MM0AMW

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/05/2021 4:50 am, Paul wrote:

I apologize if this ‘thank you’ starts a new thread, but I have previously commented that I have been unable to find any way to reply to posts in this group even though I have submitted at least two (and possibly more) requests to join the group.

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

This statement makes no sense. I am replying to a message posted by you in response to a group message. So you are replying to group posts otherwise they wouldn't be appearing here. You're already a member of the Group otherwise you would not be allowed to post messages at all.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Paul

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for confirming that I am a member, which I presumed to be true because of my recent (and previous) communications with you.  The problem I am experiencing is no doubt due solely to my ignorance of how this group works.

Other groups to which I belong have Reply ‘buttons’ on the message page, whereas, on my computer at least, this group does not.  So, when attempting to reply, I am copying the title of the message thread, going back to the home page, and doing what I would do with a new post except copying the message thread title into the subject field hoping that it will become part of the intended thread.  It is a different way of doing things but, as I now see with this thread, it seems to work.

Thanks again for your comments and for all your excellent work.  It is truly appreciated.

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Larry Banks

Hi Paul,

If you are receiving this via email, why not just use you email “reply”?

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Thanks for confirming that I am a member, which I presumed to be true because of my recent (and previous) communications with you.  The problem I am experiencing is no doubt due solely to my ignorance of how this group works.

Other groups to which I belong have Reply ‘buttons’ on the message page, whereas, on my computer at least, this group does not.  So, when attempting to reply, I am copying the title of the message thread, going back to the home page, and doing what I would do with a new post except copying the message thread title into the subject field hoping that it will become part of the intended thread.  It is a different way of doing things but, as I now see with this thread, it seems to work.

Thanks again for your comments and for all your excellent work.  It is truly appreciated.

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

Jim Cooper

On 9 May 2021 at 12:48, Paul wrote:

> Other groups to which I belong have Reply 'buttons' on the message
> page,

Paul ...  different email systems present the incoming emails
in different ways, but MOST ALL email programs will show f
you in the header a 'reply to:' address.   This group does that (see my headers, below) -- apparently whatever email
display program you are using does not parse that info from
the message headers.

graphic

Paul

Thanks very much Jim, and there’s the rub!

My email client app is (MS Office) Outlook and, although it does not present that header info the way yours does, it does show it as the ‘Cc address’, but I have not been receiving any emails from the group – until this one that I just received from you.

As there is no ‘Reply’ button on the thread’s messages, unlike those in other groups that I belong to (such as the IC-7300 group, for example), I had no idea how I was to reply.  Now that I know how this group works, even without that header info being displayed with my email client the way it does with yours, if I receive emails from the group, I can simply reply to the Cc address as I am doing with this message.

Now the mystery becomes, if this is the way this group works, why have I not received any emails prior to yours???

It seems that Murphy remains my constant companion!

Thanks for helping me understand the difference with this group.  Much appreciated.

73…  Paul (VE3PS)

> Other groups to which I belong have Reply 'buttons' on the message

> page,

Paul ...  different email systems present the incoming emails

in different ways, but MOST ALL email programs will show f

you in the header a 'reply to:' address.   This group does that (see my headers, below) -- apparently whatever email

display program you are using does not parse that info from

the message headers.

graphic

Paul

Larry,

As I just mentioned to Jim, I see now that that is the main/actual problem.  You are of course correct about hitting Reply to an email, but I am not receiving any emails from the group to reply to and, as a result, I am having to browse ad hoc to the hamapps.groups.io web pages and search for messages in order to discover, as I just did with yours now, that someone has kindly responded.

Thanks, and 73…  Paul (VE3PS)

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/05/2021 7:22 am, Paul wrote:

[...]

The reason you received Jim's email is because he CC'd you in on his reply to the Group.

I can clearly see a "Reply" option along with a "Reply All" and "Forward" options in your posted image.

You said "have I not received any emails prior to yours". That is the clue to what is happening. It is not the lack of a Reply option in your email client, it is that you're not getting Group emails. Your Groups.io profile setting is the culprit, you have it set to "Special Notices Only". This is why you're not getting group emails.

I don't typically go in and alter a members profile, but since you raised the non-receipt of emails as a problem, I took the liberty of adjusting the profile and enabling "Individual Messages". You should get this group message in your inbox.

On 10/05/2021 1:35 pm, Paul wrote:

As I just mentioned to Jim, I see now that that is the main/actual problem.  You are of course correct about hitting Reply to an email, but I am not receiving any emails from the group to reply to and, as a result, I am having to browse ad hoc to the hamapps.groups.io web pages and search for messages in order to discover, as I just did with yours now, that someone has kindly responded.

Thanks, and 73…  Paul (VE3PS)

You're not getting group emails because you have your group profile set for "Special Notices Only".
It needs to be set to a less restrictive message delivery. I have changed your profile to "Individual Messages".

de Laurie VK3AMA

Paul

Mystery solved!

Thanks very much Laurie.  After finally understanding how replies work within this group thanks to Jim and Larry, I was just getting ready to look for such a setting in my profile but you beat me to it.

Thank you…  Paul (VE3PS)

On 10/05/2021 1:56 pm, Paul wrote:
finally understanding how replies work within this group

To be clear, there is nothing unusual with the settings for this group with respect to group emails.
It was simply that you had set your message delivery to "Special Notices Only"

The default for the Group, is "Individual Messages", so at some point you must have set your profile to the
"Special Notices Only".

de Laurie VK3AMA

Paul

Thanks Laurie, but I do not recall setting preferences of any sort, as I have yet to find out where to find the preferences for this group.  I have never seen the screen you captured and included below.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks…  Paul (VE3PS)

On 10/05/2021 2:34 pm, Paul wrote:

I have never seen the screen you captured and included below.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks…  Paul (VE3PS)

That image was taken from the Moderators area of the Group settings. It shows the default email delivery options for the group that gets applied to all new memberships.

To find the settings for your self, simply click the "Your Subscription" link that is shown at the bottom of all group emails.

This is what I see at the bottom of all emails...

de Laurie VK3AMA

Paul

Thanks Laurie.

You have just solved another mystery related to my recent attempts to participate in this group.  Although I had no idea, it turns out that my subscription to this group is under a different account than the one I have been using during this confusing time.  That account must have been created when I first started to get involved with digital modes a couple of years ago.

Now that I realize what has happened, I can hopefully amalgamate all my groups under one account (the one that includes this group, of course) and eliminate the other account!

Thanks again.

73…  Paul (VE3PS)