locked JTAlert 2.50.0 Upgrade help needed

Bill Rogers

I upgraded JTAlert to 2.50.0 from 2.16.10 (I think) for use with WSJT-X.  After the install the Callsign Window and others like "About" don't come up when selected. I am also getting an Unable to communicate with the WSJT-X process: UDP Port 2237 IP Address 127.0.0.1.

I did not modify my setup after the installation and it appears WSJT-X is still set up to use port 2237.

Is there a remedy or something to try?

Is there a way to go back to the older version safely?

Thanks,
Bill K2TER

Fred Roberts

Bill.....
      As I did, you may have installed the wrong version of .Net. The problems you described are exactly what I experienced. I had to go to remove programs, search by date, and remove .Net, then go back to the JTalert installation website, click the link provided, and then install the correct version of .Net. The x86 version is for 32 bit versions of Windows, the x64 is for 64 bit versions of Windows.
Hope this helps.
Fred
WB4QOC

Sent from my phone.....Fred

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021, 1:09 PM Bill Rogers <k2ter@...> wrote:
I upgraded JTAlert to 2.50.0 from 2.16.10 (I think) for use with WSJT-X.  After the install the Callsign Window and others like "About" don't come up when selected. I am also getting an Unable to communicate with the WSJT-X process: UDP Port 2237 IP Address 127.0.0.1.

I did not modify my setup after the installation and it appears WSJT-X is still set up to use port 2237.

Is there a remedy or something to try?

Is there a way to go back to the older version safely?

Thanks,
Bill K2TER

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 14/04/2021 1:10 am, Bill Rogers wrote:
I upgraded JTAlert to 2.50.0 from 2.16.10 (I think) for use with WSJT-X.  After the install the Callsign Window and others like "About" don't come up when selected. I am also getting an Unable to communicate with the WSJT-X process: UDP Port 2237 IP Address 127.0.0.1.

I did not modify my setup after the installation and it appears WSJT-X is still set up to use port 2237.

Is there a remedy or something to try?

Is there a way to go back to the older version safely?

Thanks,
Bill K2TER

All those symptoms indicate that the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process is not running.

That process requires the .NET 5 Desktop Runtime to be installed. Make sure it is installed and of the correct architecture  (32bit or 64bit), The Runtime needs to match your Windows architecture.

If your running Windows 64bit install the X64 runtime, if 32bit install the X86 runtime.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill Rogers

Thanks for the reply! This is a well thought out application.

I was able to downgrade to 2.16.17 which was smooth. I will take another crack at the upgrade soon. I am pretty sure I downloaded and installed the updated .NET for the right OS but maybe I missed something.

73 es thanks,
Bill K2TER

On Apr 13, 2021, at 2:36 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply! JTAlert is fantastic operationally.

I did successfully downgrade to 2.16.17

[...]

N2TK, Tony

I installed .Net, 64 bit. At the end of the installation, "download and install" am I supposed to do anything else in NET?
I have had no luck with "dotnet" at a command prompt. I get an alarm that "Windows cannot find dotnet".
Any ideas?
Tnx
N2TK, Tony.

On 16/04/2021 6:13 am, N2TK, Tony via groups.io wrote:
I installed .Net, 64 bit. At the end of the installation, "download and install" am I supposed to do anything else in NET?
I have had no luck with "dotnet" at a command prompt. I get an alarm that "Windows cannot find dotnet".
Any ideas?
Tnx
N2TK, Tony.

What version of Windows, 7, 8.1 or 10? Is it 64bit or 32bit?

There is nothing you need to do after installing the .NET 5 Desktop Runtime. You might try restarting your PC, but personally I have never needed after many installs and uninstalls of the runtime during my testing.

If the command "dotnet" in a command  prompt window is throwing a cannot find dotnet error, that suggests that it is not installed correctly. Check control panel to see if it is listed. Try running the .NET installer again.

If the runtime is installed correctly you should get similar results in response to a "dotnet" and "dotnet --info" command...

de Laurie VK3AMA