Topics

JTAlert 2.15 - can't get sound to work

Doug Munday

Installed JTAlert 2.15 for WSJTx and no matter what I try, I can't get any sound alerts or test sounds to work.  Sound device is set correctly, Sound is ON.  The correct wav files are selected for each Alert.  Other apps can send sounds, but nothing from 2.15.  I had previous version - 2.14 working fine with sound.

I re-installed JTAlert 2.14 and the sound works!

I am at a loss.  Thanks for any hints?

73,

Doug - W7DRM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/11/2019 1:00 pm, Doug Munday wrote:
Installed JTAlert 2.15 for WSJTx and no matter what I try, I can't get any sound alerts or test sounds to work.  Sound device is set correctly, Sound is ON.  The correct wav files are selected for each Alert.  Other apps can send sounds, but nothing from 2.15.  I had previous version - 2.14 working fine with sound.

I re-installed JTAlert 2.14 and the sound works!

I am at a loss.  Thanks for any hints?

73,

Doug - W7DRM
All sound playing is automatically handled by a separate executable, the JTAlertPlugins.exe file. If you check TaskManager you will very likely find that the file is not running. It cannot be started manually (so don't try that), it has to be started by JTAlert. If the file is not running then it is very likely your PC protection software do to an incorrect false-positive flagging of the file has interfered and shut the process down.

I suggest waiting for the next JTAlert release where there have been significant changes to the JTAlertPliugins.exe file and all the associated plugin files, they have all been replaced with new .NET code from  the future JTAlertV3 codebase.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Doug Munday

Thanks Laurie,

In fact, when I installed and ran 2.15 the first time, I got an error that JTAlertPlugin.exe was missing - and indeed I could not find it with a search.  Had to reinstall to get 2.15 to run, but still no sound nor JTAlertPlugin.exe in JTAlert\plugins folder.

Separately, I have been helping my brother-in-law (N4RF) with his system and we had the exact same issues, with warning about missing TAlertPlugin.exe and no sound.  We installed 2.14 and things were fine.  On his system there was also a triggered threat notice from Windows.

Thanks,
Doug - W7DRM

Michael Black

Make an exclusion in your antivirus for the JTAlert program folder.

de Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 8:30:15 PM CST, Doug Munday <svtdoug@...> wrote:

Thanks Laurie,

In fact, when I installed and ran 2.15 the first time, I got an error that JTAlertPlugin.exe was missing - and indeed I could not find it with a search.  Had to reinstall to get 2.15 to run, but still no sound nor JTAlertPlugin.exe in JTAlert\plugins folder.

Separately, I have been helping my brother-in-law (N4RF) with his system and we had the exact same issues, with warning about missing TAlertPlugin.exe and no sound.  We installed 2.14 and things were fine.  On his system there was also a triggered threat notice from Windows.

Thanks,
Doug - W7DRM

Doug Munday

Thanks Mike.  That did the trick.  Even windows is triggering a false positive.  What a PITA.

Doug - W7DRM

Gilbert Baron

Yes ,a PITA this is and the easy solution is to get rid of all AV software. It cannot protect you from the real bad stuff (ZERO DAY) anyway. Good backup strategy can.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226N 92.51265 W en34rb

--