JT Alert periodically crashes.

vk3xl@...

Hi all, I have seen similar posts to this problem but yet to find a solution.

I have been using JT Alert for 3 years or more and this problem has occurred from the start with my setup.
I have used many versions of WSJT and WSJT-X over the years and JT Alert with all of them (admittedly a early version until yesterday when I updated to the latest version) The problem occurs after a random period of time that JT Alert fails to pick up the decodes from WSJT and therefore cannot be used to update my logbook (Log 4 OM).
It seems to take less time for the lock up to occur if you are actively using WSJT and logging contacts, but it will also occur if you just leave the software running monitoring the activity on FT8 etc.

To overcome the problem I need to shut down JT Alert and Log 4OM and restart JT alert (which restarts Log 4 OM). All is fine for a period of time then it locks up again. The period of time can be a short as a few minutes up to a few hours but more often it is 15 to 30 minutes on most occasions.

I have updated both JT Alert and WSJT-X to the latest versions and the problem persists.

If anyone has some clues of where to look to find a solution I would greatly appreciate your help.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/11/2021 3:12 pm, vk3xl via groups.io wrote:
[...]

OM,

Does JTAlert show an error message? Is this a true crash or simply that JTAlert stops producing Alerts?

What versions of WSJTX and JTAlert?
Please quote the actual version number of WSJTX and JTAlert being used.

Sorry, I learnt my lesson long ago, claims of the "latest versions" are often inaccurate leading to wasted effort trying to debug what turn out to be old versions. I need actual numbers.

de Laurie VK3AMA

vk3xl@...

Hi Laurie, fine on the lessons learnt, I should have put the version numbers in the original post.
The software stops producing alerts and the alert screen is completely blank.
JT Alert version 2.50.7
WSJT-X version 2.5.2.

I am running under 32 bit windows 10 if that makes a difference.

After thinking about the problem for a while I believe that the problem is with some other operation going on in the background (like a terminate and stay resident bit of software) as this has be a consistent problem with my setup from day 1, It has occurred with all WSJT-X versions I have installed over the last 3 years or so. Admittedly I was using an older version of JT Alert up to a few days ago, but the 2.50.7 version does the same thing.

I did some testing yesterday and found that the period of time between starting JT Alert and when it stops working properly is almost the same (31 minutes, 38 minutes and 39 minutes approx) It does not seem to matter if you are actively using WSJT-X or just monitoring the frequency. Changing bands does not seem to effect when it stops working either.

The more I think about it the more I think it is some other event that is stopping the transfer of data from WSJT-X to JT alert that my PC does. I dont think it is a fault with your JT Alert or WSJT-X as there are many people who use this pairing of software without issue. It is some other event created by some software on my PC that causes the interruption to the data transfer. I just have no clue on how to track it down.

 Best regards

Mike VK3XL

Jim Cooper

On 12 Nov 2021 at 14:49, vk3xl via groups.io wrote:

> It is some other event created by
> some software on my PC that causes
> the interruption to the data
> transfer. I just have no clue on how
> to track it down.

I strongly suggest that you use the Device Manager
and the Control Panel and through EVERY possible
device that can be controlled by the "power saving"
'feature' of Windoze and TURN OFF any of them
that are not set to 'never' (not really turn off, but
set them to NEVER) ...

all USB devices, all COM port devices, plus the
POWER OPTIONS in the Control Panel.

graphic

vk3xl@...

Thanks Jim I will give that a try.

vk3xl@...

Well that worked... I stopped anything from going to sleep with the Devise Manager and also set the power saver to max performance in the Control Panel. JT Alert has been running now for 3 hours without a single problem.

Thanks for the tip JIm

Mike Vk3XL

vk3xl@...

Well it worked up to yesterday and now about every 30 minutes JT Alert stops receiving the decodes from WSJT-X again.
I checked all the power management settings in the device manager as well as the power settings in the control panel. and nothing has changed there.

I am confused to what has changed to cause this to come back after a week or so of trouble free 24 hour operation.

Any clues on what to check next greatly appreciated.

Jim Cooper

On 18 Nov 2021 at 3:21, vk3xl via groups.io wrote:

now about every 30 minutes JT Alert
stops receiving the decodes from WSJT-X again.
sure seems like something timing out ...

maybe someone on the list who is more familiar
with the internals of Windows can suggest where
to find an EVENT LOG that would say just what
happened at those specific times.

w2jc

K1DJE - Dave Corio

On 11/18/2021 12:12 PM, Jim Cooper wrote:
On 18 Nov 2021 at 3:21, vk3xl via groups.io wrote:

now about every 30 minutes JT Alert
stops receiving the decodes from WSJT-X again.
sure seems like something timing out ...

maybe someone on the list who is more familiar
with the internals of Windows can suggest where
to find an EVENT LOG that would say just what
happened at those specific times.

w2jc

Have you checked the power-saving features of all USB ports in use by your system? If those are on it could cause loss of connectivity resulting in crashes.

73

Dave - K1DJE

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/11/2021 10:21 pm, vk3xl via groups.io wrote:
Well it worked up to yesterday and now about every 30 minutes JT Alert stops receiving the decodes from WSJT-X again.
I checked all the power management settings in the device manager as well as the power settings in the control panel. and nothing has changed there.

I am confused to what has changed to cause this to come back after a week or so of trouble free 24 hour operation.

Any clues on what to check next greatly appreciated.

In a previous message https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/37778 you claim to be running WSJT-X 2.5.2.

PSKReporter shows you're running WSJT-X 2.5.0 NOT 2.5.2 as claimed.

There should not be a problem with 2.5.0 but it may be the cause.

Is this an official WSJT-X release you're running or one of the hacked clones masquerading as WSJT-X?

Please try the latest 2.5.2 release.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Larry Banks

Including any HDMI ports.

Larry / W1DYJ

On 11/18/2021 12:42, K1DJE - Dave Corio via groups.io wrote:
On 11/18/2021 12:12 PM, Jim Cooper wrote:
On 18 Nov 2021 at 3:21, vk3xl via groups.io wrote:

  now about every 30 minutes JT Alert
stops receiving the decodes from WSJT-X again.
sure seems like something timing out ...

maybe someone on the list who is more familiar
with the internals of Windows can suggest where
to find an EVENT LOG that would say just what
happened at those specific times.

w2jc

Have you checked the power-saving features of all USB ports in use by your system? If those are on it could cause loss of connectivity resulting in crashes.

73

Dave - K1DJE

vk3xl@...

Hi Laurie, I have both WSJT-X v2.5.2 and a clone based on WSJT-X v2.5.0. The problem appeared on the clone so I will do a test on the 2.5.2 version today and see if it has the same issue. I think it is a windows 10 setting rather than a problem with JT Alert. It is strange how it worked fine for about 1 week after I turned off all the power management settings on all the devises and set the control panel settings to max performance and never to go to sleep etc. I will see if there was a windows update that has occurred recently that may have changed something. Thanks for the help.

vk3xl@...

Yes Dave I have checked all the power saving settings and nothing has changed since I turned them off a week ago. I will see if I can find out how to get an event log from windows to see what is happening. It seems too much of a coincidence that the problem always occurs around 30 - 40 minutes after I launch JT Alert.
Thanks for the help

vk3xl@...

Larry I cannot find any settings for HDMI ports and as far as I am aware the PC does not have a HDMI port physically.

Larry Banks

Hi VK3XL (name?),

Sometimes HDMI ports that are activated can be a problem.  They also have USB-type power management time-outs.  I was wondering if you had added a HDMI port, or an update had changed an HDMI port unexpectedly.  Sorry I don't have any further suggestions.

Larry / W1DYJ

On 11/18/2021 17:56, vk3xl via groups.io wrote:
Larry I cannot find any settings for HDMI ports and as far as I am aware the PC does not have a HDMI port physically.

vk3xl@...

Thanks Larry, I have had it monitoring on 17m this morning using v2.5.2 and all seems ok now. I will go back and try the clone version (2.5.0) again and see if that is the root cause.

73 form Mike VK3XL