locked JT Alert not ready for prime time

AOL/ CompuServe Mail <GMuller885@...>

All:
    As much as I like the features of JT alert this sw is not ready for prime time. The programmer did not do do very good job of checking to make sure it would work with JT-X. I there fore deleatig it from my system and and will not use it till the progrmer fixs his or her program.

Gerald Muller K9GEM
USN DSC (SW) Retired 

Robert Lorenzini

RTFM.

Bob - wd6dod

On 7/26/2021 9:09 AM, AOL/ CompuServe Mail via groups.io wrote:
All:
    As much as I like the features of JT alert this sw is not ready for prime time. The programmer did not do do very good job of checking to make sure it would work with JT-X. I there fore deleatig it from my system and and will not use it till the progrmer fixs his or her program.

Gerald Muller K9GEM
USN DSC (SW) Retired 

Jim Nortron

Works perfectly well with JTDX in my shack Chief. WD4T 

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 12:00 AOL/ CompuServe Mail via groups.io <GMuller885=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
All:

Gerald Muller K9GEM
USN DSC (SW) Retired 

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 27/07/2021 2:09 am, AOL/ CompuServe Mail via groups.io wrote:
All:

Gerald Muller K9GEM

What is JT-X? Do you mean JTDX? If so that shows a lack of attention to detail on your part in composing your message.

No where in your message do you indicate what the problem is.

What is not working?

What needs to be fixed that you clam the programmer needs to address without any supporting documentation to the fault?

A rant about defects without enumerating the defects is worthless.

You need to back up your claim with some detail.

de Laurie VK3AMA
(JTAlert programmer)

Jim Cooper

Why don't you submit for a FULL REFUND ... ??

btw, you are probably saving Laurie hours and hours
of answering dumb questions by leaving us ... 73 ...-.-

On 26 Jul 2021 at 16:09, GMuller885@aol.com via groups.io
wrote:

All:    As much as I like the
features of JT alert this sw is not
ready for prime time. The programmer
did not do do very good job of
checking to make sure it would work
with JT-X. I there fore deleatig it
from my system and and will not use
it till the progrmer fixs his or her
program. Gerald Muller K9GEMUSN DSC
(SW) Retired GMuller885@aol.com

William Wagaman

Hello Bill here N3GTY ..... what can I say Laurie... you have the patience of a saint. You handled that with more grace then I would have. Thanks for a great piece of software and all your efforts.

de Bill N3GTY

On 7/26/2021 1:09 PM, Jim Cooper wrote:
Why don't you submit for a FULL REFUND ... ??

btw, you are probably saving Laurie hours and hours
of answering dumb questions by leaving us ... 73 ...-.-

On 26 Jul 2021 at 16:09, GMuller885@aol.com via groups.io
wrote:

All:    As much as I like the
features of JT alert this sw is not
ready for prime time. The programmer
did not do do very good job of
checking to make sure it would work
with JT-X. I there fore deleatig it
from my system and and will not use
it till the progrmer fixs his or her
program. Gerald Muller K9GEMUSN DSC
(SW) Retired GMuller885@aol.com

--
Bill Wagaman N3GTY

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

My last word on this topic.

JTAlert is tested against both WSJT-X and JTDX, by myself and the 30 man Test Team.

The Test Team along with their access to beta and test versions of JTAlert they typically get the new public release of JTAlert several days before it goes public. This is to ensure that everything is working as it should.

If you truly have a problem with JTAlert please let us know what the problem is, what is not working. My self and the Test Team are waiting, but not holding our breaths.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Neil Foster

Gerald, I have a number of ham radio acronyms that I sometimes use. One applies to you: PEBCAR.
It stands for "Problem exisists betwenn chair and radio" JT Alert works fine and Laurie does a great job and a service to the ham radio community. . BTW Thank you for your military service, it is appreciated, I would also suggest using a spell checker if you wish to be perfect.
73 and stay well.....Neil   N4FN

David Brittenham

Gerald, I too would like to thank you for your service to our country.  Men and women who have served are appreciated much more than they know.

I don't understand your statement.  It sounds like it is written out of frustration.  How long have you been using JTAlert?  No program is perfect.  I have used JTAlert on a daily basis for over 4 years now, and have never had any serious problems.  What few problems I've had, Laurie has addressed quickly and efficiently.  I have FAR more trouble with Windows than any program I use running under it.  And I paid a HE77 of a lot more for Windows!  I wish you would post some of the issues you are having.  I'm betting between Laurie and the users on this forum, your problems can be solved in very short order.  99% of the problems I've had with JTAlert, or WSJT-X for that matter, have been resolved with a simple restart of Windows.  Give Laurie and the group a chance to help you solve the issues you are having.  It's a great program, one I could not get by without.  WSJT-X alone is a pain to use and keep track of what is going on.

David
WA0RVK

Radio K0HB

Works fine here.  Bravo Zulu to Laurie.

73, de Hans, KØHB
RMCM, USN (Ret)
“Just a Boy and his Radio”™

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> on behalf of AOL/ CompuServe Mail via groups.io <GMuller885@...>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 12:00 PM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: [HamApps] JT Alert not ready for prime time

All:

Gerald Muller K9GEM
USN DSC (SW) Retired 

--

73, de Hans, KØHB
"Just a boy and his radio"™

Bernd - KB7AK

Works fine here as well, absolutely no issues. I do have to add, what an amazing piece of software someone (we all know who) has added in his spare time and makes it available to everyone free of charge.

It may not work well in environments where the issue sits between the keyboard and the computer.

Bernd - KB7AK

John

BZ.

John
VE7KKQ

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:59 AM Bernd - KB7AK <bernd1peters@...> wrote:

Works fine here as well, absolutely no issues. I do have to add, what an amazing piece of software someone (we all know who) has added in his spare time and makes it available to everyone free of charge.

It may not work well in environments where the issue sits between the keyboard and the computer.

Bernd - KB7AK

Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ

LOL, it is precisely "prime time" when it works the best!  When I have 40-60 decodes per 15 second epoch, JTAlert is the ONLY thing that can keep it all straight!

I get it- that was a message written out of frustration- I've written them myself (mostly to Microsoft).  But it is hardly indicative of the JTAlert community's experience with this software.  Of course there are small bugs- no software is perfect.  But Laurie and the testing team have been great addressing them and been very responsive to the community when they get the proper information regarding a problem.

Marlo
KA2IRQ

David De Coons

Based on the original author’s name in the email (AOL/COMPUSERV) I take it he is elderly and not well versed in computers. Maybe digital modes are not his best choice of operation then.

JTAlert works fine here and Laurie has done fantastic work refining the program over the years.

If people would first try to read the manual and FAQ, them post to the list if they still have an issue after trying to solve it themselves, they could be enjoying the program. 

You can’t please everyone.

Dave wo2x

On Jul 27, 2021, at 1:29 PM, John <ve3kkqve3kkq@...> wrote:

BZ.

John
VE7KKQ

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:59 AM Bernd - KB7AK <bernd1peters@...> wrote:

Bernd - KB7AK

Jim - N4ST

Perhaps JTALert is not for you.

There are +30,000 users that seem to be making out with it.

Laurie has provided us with an awesome product and I find it a wonderful addition to the digital world of ham radio.

I spent +8 years doing V&V for Naval fire support software and even well trained users can stumble and the most robustly tested software can have a few quirks.

Jim – N4ST

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of AOL/ CompuServe Mail via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 12:10

All:

Gerald Muller K9GEM

USN DSC (SW) Retired 

--

chas cartmel

I agree,
JTAlert is a perfect tool for digital communication when paired with WSJT-X correctly.
There are many reasons why things can go wrong if the user does not set it up correctly by following the instructions. I have had the occasional issue but this is down to MY error and not the software which is a damn sight more stable than many software offerings.

Perhaps digital is too complicated for the OP, he is still on AOL which I thought was only viable on steam powered computers these days.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim - N4ST
Sent: 27 July 2021 21:44
Subject: Re: [HamApps] JT Alert not ready for prime time

Perhaps JTALert is not for you.

There are +30,000 users that seem to be making out with it.

Laurie has provided us with an awesome product and I find it a wonderful addition to the digital world of ham radio.

I spent +8 years doing V&V for Naval fire support software and even well trained users can stumble and the most robustly tested software can have a few quirks.

Jim – N4ST

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of AOL/ CompuServe Mail via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 12:10

All:

Gerald Muller K9GEM

USN DSC (SW) Retired 

--

This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection.
For more info visit www.bullguard.com

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 28/07/2021 12:35 am, Radio K0HB wrote:
Bravo Zulu to Laurie.

BTW I know what that means.
It brought back memories of my days as a Cadet Midshipman in the RAN running around the Quarterdeck at HMAS Creswell (RAN Naval College) hoisting signal flags. My service was short however, I left the RAN to pursue opportunities outside the military.

de Laurie VK3AMA

neil_zampella

There's another phrase from my military days .. "Short between the headsets".

Neil, KN3ILZ

John

One straw short of a load...

John
VE7KKQ

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 8:50 PM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

There's another phrase from my military days .. "Short between the headsets".

Neil, KN3ILZ