locked JT Alert crashes after about 30 seconds

Tyson brooks

Good Morning,
So I'm getting back into doing FT8 after taking a year off. I've updated to the newest WSJTX, JT-Alert and the 64bit Windows Net 5 runtime. If I start JT-Alert, WSJT-X and the Call window load and the normal program window below WSJT-X loads up. After about 30 seconds, the JT-Alert window disappears with no trace of the program running in Task Manager. The Call Window stays up though with no decodes coming through.
If I'm quick enough, I can get to the the setup screen and that will keep JT-Alert open, but as soon as I save it and close out of the setup, it crashes a few seconds later. 
Any ideas?
Tyson, W7BL

Joe Subich, W4TV

Did you install the *DESKTOP* version of dotNET 5.0.x?

It sounds as if you might have the "console" version with
is incomplete and lacks several interfaces required by
JT-Alert.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-12-04 3:19 PM, Tyson brooks wrote:
Good Morning,
So I'm getting back into doing FT8 after taking a year off. I've updated to the newest WSJTX, JT-Alert and the 64bit Windows Net 5 runtime. If I start JT-Alert, WSJT-X and the Call window load and the normal program window below WSJT-X loads up. After about 30 seconds, the JT-Alert window disappears with no trace of the program running in Task Manager. The Call Window stays up though with no decodes coming through.
If I'm quick enough, I can get to the the setup screen and that will keep JT-Alert open, but as soon as I save it and close out of the setup, it crashes a few seconds later.
Any ideas?
Tyson, W7BL

Tyson brooks

I downloaded the version via the link on the hamapps page. It says it is the desktop version.

Tyson brooks

I have tried rolling back to the last 4 64bit versions listed on the web page, but no luck.
Tyson

Michael Black

Rename \Users\[username]\AppData\Local\HamApps

Then start JTAlert and see if it behaves -- it will be a new configuration.

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 02:33:07 PM CST, Tyson brooks <tyson.brooks5@...> wrote:

Good Morning,
Any ideas?
Tyson, W7BL

Joe Subich, W4TV

The symptoms are those of an incorrect version of dotNET 5.0.x ...

Open PC Settings -> Apps -> Apps & Features ...
scroll down to "Microsoft Windows Runtime" - does it say
*EXACTLY* "Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime" or "Microsoft
Windows Runtime"?

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-12-04 6:22 PM, Tyson brooks wrote:
I have tried rolling back to the last 4 64bit versions listed on the web page, but no luck.
Tyson

Tyson brooks

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 5/12/2021 7:19 am, Tyson brooks wrote:
Any ideas?
Tyson, W7BL

When you say "Call" window are you referring to the JTAlert "Callsigns" window or something else ?
Does the Windows Event Viewer contain any entries relating to JTAlert.exe or JTAlertV2.Manager.exe ?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tyson brooks

Yes the "call signs" window will continue to stay open.
Laurie, thank you for reminding me about Event viewer, I haven't used it for a long time. Here is the report on the JTAlert crash.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Windows Error Reporting
Date:          12/4/2021 20:12:46
Event ID:      1001
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-3FUGOIG
Description:
Fault bucket 1336387015687862676, type 5
Event Name: BEX
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: JTAlert.exe
P2: 2.50.9.0
P3: 61a6d732
P4: StackHash_2beb
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: PCH_6A_FROM_ntdll+0x00072F8C
P8: c0000005
P9: 00000008
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1035.tmp.mdmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER11AD.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER11CD.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER11CB.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER11FB.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_JTAlert.exe_e976f5abd798c523cc17e92357f4de864bc55f_789371ba_d2b9b763-4bd0-4312-bd40-69a62e51129f

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 1ed9c8ce-9121-42ed-8603-3295bf0deddc
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: b4ee731737b3a5a0228bcce90884f994
Cab Guid: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-12-05T04:12:46.9805651Z" />
    <EventRecordID>402893</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-3FUGOIG</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>1336387015687862676</Data>
    <Data>5</Data>
    <Data>BEX</Data>
    <Data>Not available</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>JTAlert.exe</Data>
    <Data>2.50.9.0</Data>
    <Data>61a6d732</Data>
    <Data>StackHash_2beb</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>PCH_6A_FROM_ntdll+0x00072F8C</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00000008</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1035.tmp.mdmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER11AD.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER11CD.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER11CB.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER11FB.tmp.txt</Data>
    <Data>\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_JTAlert.exe_e976f5abd798c523cc17e92357f4de864bc55f_789371ba_d2b9b763-4bd0-4312-bd40-69a62e51129f</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>1ed9c8ce-9121-42ed-8603-3295bf0deddc</Data>
    <Data>268435456</Data>
    <Data>b4ee731737b3a5a0228bcce90884f994</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 5/12/2021 3:27 pm, Tyson brooks wrote:
Yes the "call signs" window will continue to stay open.
Laurie, thank you for reminding me about Event viewer, I haven't used it for a long time. Here is the report on the JTAlert crash.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Windows Error Reporting
Date:          12/4/2021 20:12:46
Event ID:      1001

Tyson,

This link https://www.technipages.com/fix-windows-error-reporting-event-id-1001 suggest several possible causes for this type of error event.

Have you run previous versions of JTAlert without problem, if so what was the last version that worked for you?

Are you running 64bit or 32bit Windows?

If you haven't already tried, please try JTAlert 2.50.7. You will need to select the correct bit type 64bit or 32bit for the installer matching your Windows OS bit type.
You can download from the bottom of the JTAlert download page at https://hamapps.com/JTAlert/

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ed Hobbs

Are you using a logging program with JTalert?  I had the same issue using JTalert with the HRD logging program.  

Tyson brooks

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 9:09 AM, Ed Hobbs
<ehobbs@...> wrote:
Are you using a logging program with JTalert?  I had the same issue using JTalert with the HRD logging program.  

Ed Hobbs

I had to run a repair on Microsoft Access Runtime (if you're using the default DB type).  Also, check your IP address in the log setup in JTAlert .  Usually, the address should be the localhost (127.0.0.1).  I also had to set JTalert to use "UDP Multicast on Loopback".  Once I did all these everything start working as it should.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyson brooks
Sent: Monday, December 6, 2021 12:32 PM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] JT Alert crashes after about 30 seconds

I am using HRD. 

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 9:09 AM, Ed Hobbs

<ehobbs@...> wrote:

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 7/12/2021 4:31 am, Tyson brooks wrote:
I am using HRD. 

I suspect that there is a problem with your MSAccess HRD Log. A small number of people have experienced issues in recent months. To confirm that this is the problem try the following...
  • Stop WSJTX monitoring so there are no decodes being processed.
  • Ensure the DXCall in WSJTX is empty.
  • Start JTAlert

If JTAlert starts and doesn't crash and remains open past the 30 second mark when there are no decodes being received that indicates the problem is occurring when JTAlert tries to read the HRD Log to determine the B4 status.

HRD MSAccess log users who have experienced problems in most cases resolved the issue by creating a new Log in HRDLogbook and switching JTAlert to use that new log. In a small number of cases this didn't resolve the issue, but converting HRDLogbook to use a MariaDB log did. HRD Support themselves recommend using MariaDB instead of MSAccess logs. They have a video on how to perform the conversion, it is not difficult.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tyson brooks

Well that was the problem! I went ahead and converted the database to the MariaDB. The MariaDB is doing some strange stuff in that log, but I will look at that later. But as far as the JTAlert issue, it is resolved.
Thank you Laurie!

Tyson W7BL

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 7/12/2021 9:11 pm, Tyson brooks wrote:
Well that was the problem! I went ahead and converted the database to the MariaDB. The MariaDB is doing some strange stuff in that log, but I will look at that later. But as far as the JTAlert issue, it is resolved.
Thank you Laurie!

Tyson W7BL

Thanks for the update Tyson.

Sorry, I can't provide a definitive reason for the MSAccess problems with HRD that you and others have experienced. For what its worth, the code to read the HRD MSAccess log file is near identical to the code used to read the DXKeeper, ACLog and JTAlert internal B4 file, all of which are MSAccess .mdb files.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Maurizio Picerni

Using also old versions now i have also here a small problem . (version 2.16.17) 
Now the program remain active, but after a contact and add to the log. JT Alert closing immediately.
SO if no QSO the window remain active. after logging , it closed and have to relaunch program again -...
is there a option to check/incheck for that ? i have not found. 
thanks

neil_zampella

You didn't say what logger you're using.    If you're using HRD, did you follow the directions in previous posts here about converting the log to MariaDB?

Also, why are you still using an older version?

Neil, KN3ILZ

Maurizio Picerni

Because all newest versions are closing after some seconds... this is the title of my question hi 
Older remain active as said till after writed log. 
I use HRD yes, but why have to to always modifications when before everything was ok ? 
i am not so familiar to this conversions and database..... thanks

Il giorno sab 11 dic 2021 alle ore 15:36 neil_zampella <neilz@...> ha scritto:

You didn't say what logger you're using.    If you're using HRD, did you follow the directions in previous posts here about converting the log to MariaDB?

Neil, KN3ILZ

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-12-11 11:09 AM, Maurizio Picerni wrote:
Because all newest versions are closing after some seconds...
If JTAlert versions 2.5 and later close after a short period
of time you either do not have the DESKTOP version of dotNet
or you are using HRD with a corrupted Access (log) database.

In the first case, install the DESKTOP (not console) version of
dotNET 5.0.x and in the second case either create a new log and
import your QSOs into it or convert to a MariaDB log.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-12-11 11:09 AM, Maurizio Picerni wrote:
Because all newest versions are closing after some seconds... this is the
title of my question hi
Older remain active as said till after writed log.
I use HRD yes, but why have to to always modifications when before
everything was ok ?
i am not so familiar to this conversions and database..... thanks
Il giorno sab 11 dic 2021 alle ore 15:36 neil_zampella <neilz@techie.com>
ha scritto:

You didn't say what logger you're using. If you're using HRD, did you
follow the directions in previous posts here about converting the log to
MariaDB?

Neil, KN3ILZ