locked JT Alert 2.50.4 Constant crashing

N8QAR@...

Recently upgraded to latest JT Alert. Crashes constantly.
-Ribbon menu bar disappears and program must restarted.
-Only gets one set of decodes then stops decoding
-Unable to initiate help request through program
-Inconsistently receive error message pasted below:
-Have reverted back to 2.16.17 however it now crashes unless sound is kept off.
-using with WSJT-X and HRD
-Long time user and the first (but incredibly frustrating) problem.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated---Brian

JTAlert Instance       : #1
JTAlert Start Params   : /wsjtx
WSJT-X Window Title    : WSJT-X   v2.4.0   by K1JT, G4WJS, K9AN, and IV3NWV
WSJT-X Command Line    : "C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsjtx.exe"
WSJT-X   --rig-name    :
WSJT-X Config File     : C:\Users\Administrator1\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini
WSJT-X Version         :
WSJT-X Revision        :
WSJT-X Spec Op Mode    : None
WSJT-X UDP ID          :
WSJT-X UDP Port        : 2237
WSJT-X UDP Server      : 224.0.0.1
WSJT-X UDP MCast on LB : True
WSJT-X UDP Max Schema  :

UDP Ports used
JTAlert.exe           : 53437 61711
JTAlertV2.Manager.exe : 52010 52011 52012
JTAlertV2.Decodes.exe :

Audio output devices
[1] Speakers (USB Audio CODEC )
[2] Speaker/Headphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)
[3] SONY TV XV (Intel(R) Display Audio)

JTAlertV2.Manager (2.50.4.0) status
(2021-07-25 13:27:34 utc)
CLR Version       : 5.0.8
NET Framework     : .NET 5.0.8
Architecture      : x64 64bit
UDP Router        : Initialized : YES (WSJT-X)
Audio             : Initialized : YES (3 output devices)
Activity Service  : Initialized : YES (stopped)
Messaging Service : Initialized : YES (started : 17)
HamSpots Service  : Initialized : YES
QRZ Xml           : Initialized : YES
HamQth Xml        : Initialized : YES
QRZ Log           : Initialized : YES
HamQth Log        : Initialized : YES
ClubLog Log       : Initialized : YES
Eqsl Log          : Initialized : YES
HrdLog Log        : Initialized : YES
DXLab DDE         : Initialized : YES
User Alert        : Initialized : YES
Updates Check     : Initialized : YES (started : 3600)
Environment Check : Initialized : YES (started : 3600)
Maintenance       : Initialized : YES (started : 3600)

On 25/07/2021 11:31 pm, N8QAR@... wrote:
Recently upgraded to latest JT Alert. Crashes constantly.
-Ribbon menu bar disappears and program must restarted.
-Only gets one set of decodes then stops decoding
-Unable to initiate help request through program
-Inconsistently receive error message pasted below:
-Have reverted back to 2.16.17 however it now crashes unless sound is kept off.
-using with WSJT-X and HRD
-Long time user and the first (but incredibly frustrating) problem.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated---Brian

I suspect a problem with your HRD Log or its associated ODBC DSN. Are you using an MSAccess HRD log?

If you temporarily switch to an alternate log in JTAlert, say ADIF, it doesn't need to contain data, does JTAlert still produce the crash when it gets a batch of decodes to process? If it doesn't crash that suggests an issue with the HRD Log.

A number of HRD 6 users have experienced various problems. The exact cause is unknown, but it is related to using an MSAccess log in HRD. The usual fix is to perform an export of your current log, create a new Log in HRD and import the previous export, then switch JTAlert to using that new Log. In a very small number of cases, creating a new HRD MSAccess log didn't correct the behavior, but upgrading to using a MariaDB log did. HRD themselves recommend using MariaDB rather than MSAccess type logs.

de Laurie VK3AMA

N8QAR@...

Thanks Laurie. I'm not sure I understand that. At the end of the day, I upgraded my JTAlert and now it doesn't work. It is not a logging issue.

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 26/07/2021 6:06 am, N8QAR@arrl.org wrote:
Thanks Laurie. I'm not sure I understand that. At the end of the day, I upgraded my JTAlert and now it doesn't work. It is not a logging issue.
I never said it was a logging problem. The problem is very likely caused by accessing the log at the end of a decode period when the worked B4 checks are performed. Crashing at the end of a period as decodes are first starting to be processed is very likely due to problems accessing the log.

If your using an MSAccess type log in HRD, simply create a new one for testing. If the JTAlert crash stops after creating a new log then make that log the active log in HRDLogbook.

de Laurie VK3AMA

N8QAR@...

Laurie, thanks that seems to have resolved that problem. Unfortunately, now the alert database does not update when I scan the log and rebuild.

N8QAR@...

Never mind Laurie. Problem not resolved. I am still getting the system errors that I screen-shotted above. And now scan and rebuild doesn't actually rebuild. There is nothing on the help guide to actually help with this. I hate Ham Radio. Updating to the latest version shouldn't be so difficult. Pretty sure I lost a log permanently as well.  I know you guys are trying, I'm a commuter user and this seems way complicated.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/07/2021 7:32 am, N8QAR@... wrote:
Laurie, thanks that seems to have resolved that problem. Unfortunately, now the alert database does not update when I scan the log and rebuild.

Did you populate the new log with the QSOs from your old log?

On 26/07/2021 8:29 am, N8QAR@... wrote:
Pretty sure I lost a log permanently as well

Creating a new log will not loose the old log. HRD supports multiple log files. The only way you would loose your old log is by deliberately deleting it.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 26/07/2021 8:29 am, N8QAR@arrl.org wrote:
I hate Ham Radio. Updating to the latest version shouldn't be so difficult. Pretty sure I lost a log permanently as well.  I know you guys are trying, I'm a commuter user and this seems way complicated
Its not complicated.

If you hate Ham Radio and admit to not being a Computer user (only a commuter user whatever that is), why are you getting involved in the Digital modes which by their nature require some Computer skill and knowledge. Plus the added complexity of HRD and its numerous bugs and defects. If its all too hard or above your skill level, seek out an Elmer or perhaps change hobby.

de Laurie VK3AMA

N8QAR@...

Thanks Laurie.  Forgive me if I think upgrading to the latest version should be seamless and not require a computer engineer. Never had an issue until now. Great support.Unfortunately I'm new to the hobby--licensed in 1991.

N8QAR@...

Would also appreciate you addressing my original question regarding the error message I pasted. Thank you

neil_zampella

Actually ... he did ... did you move your HRD log to the MySQL type?   Did you switch JTAlert to use the new log?

There's only so much he can do without better feedback from you.

Neil, KN3ILZ

N8QAR@...

Thanks Neil. What do you mean by "move the log" I only show two types of logs available in HRD. Neither of which are MySQL.  One is a default and one is an MS Access based .

WarrenG KC0GU

N8QAR@...

Thanks Warren. Help appreciated.