locked JT Alert 2.50.0 update and now nothing works on JT Alert app

Ed K0iL

Running JTAlert on Win10 PC with WSJT-X 2.3.1 which is working fine.
Only the top menu line on JT Alert appears.
No Sound works either when testing sound.
My personal settings all seem to still be there from previous version.
But it's still dead after restarting both WSJT-X and JT Alert and also restarting the PC.

UDP Comm Failure error message states unable to communicate with WSJT-X process. Says see JT Alert Help for correct WSJT-X UDP Setup. That help page now recommends new UDP multicast addressing. So verified that. It still doesn't work.

I have all setting same as recommended on Troubleshooting help page for WSJT-X UDP Setup.
Then JT Alert Help suggests using JTAlert's "Help->About", but doesn't work either.  Nothing on v2.50.0 works at all.

Anyone else having this problem with JTAlert's new version 2.50.0?

73, de ed -K0iL

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 16/04/2021 12:27 pm, Ed K0iL wrote:
UDP Comm Failure error message states unable to communicate with WSJT-X process. Says see JT Alert Help for correct WSJT-X UDP Setup. That help page now recommends new UDP multicast addressing. So verified that. It still doesn't work.

I have all setting same as recommended on Troubleshooting help page for WSJT-X UDP Setup.
Then JT Alert Help suggests using JTAlert's "Help->About", but doesn't work either.  Nothing on v2.50.0 works at all.

Anyone else having this problem with JTAlert's new version 2.50.0?

73, de ed -K0iL

All UDP comms, Sound output and opening of the new 2.50.0 windows, like the new Help->About window are controlled by the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process located in the pluginsX sub-directory of your JTAlert installation directory. It sounds to me like that process is either not running or is being interfered with by your Protection software. Is the process running, check using taskmanager.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ed K0iL

Tnx Laurie for responding.

JTAlertV2.Manager Application is installed in the pluginsX folder, but it is not running per Task Manager.

The only JT app running is "Audio & Visual Alerts for WSJT-X. (32 bit) which is odd since I thought I selected 64 bit like I do for most other apps.  But maybe not.

My Norton 360 did alert me asking if it was okay to install JT Alert and I gave it approval so that allowed the installation without problems.

I'll try reinstalling it again, and this time select 32 bit if there's an option for that.

Thanks,
73, de ed -K0iL

Ed K0iL

Laurie,
I just checked and I did load the 32 bit because it's (x86) which is was my other ham apps are installed at.

So why isn't the JTAlertV2.Manager Application running as installed?  Hmmm.

73, de ed -K0iL

Ed K0iL

Looked at File Insight;

Startup Item = No  (cannot change this)

User Trusted was Don't Trust.  (I changed this to Trust Checked)

Developers = Not Available (this may be a problem in trust since it is so brand new time wise)

Few Users = Fewer than 100 users

73, de ed -K0iL

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/04/2021 11:25 pm, Ed K0iL wrote:
JTAlertV2.Manager Application is installed in the pluginsX folder, but it is not running per Task Manager.

If it is not running that is the problem.

JTAlert automatically tries to restart the program if it is found not running. If you're not seeing the Manager process being started and stopped approx every 2 seconds, that indicates that something is clamping down very hard on it getting executed.

You mention Norton in one of your other message. That will be the problem. Depending on Norton settings, low-use
(based on Norton users-base counts) files, which Ham based applications are, suffer from lack of reputation and Norton is notorious for this time of reputation application blocking. You will need to set Norton to consider JTAlert safe, and likely remove any blocks it has already put in place.

Sorry, I can't offer any informed advice on how to setup Norton to stop its inappropriate blocking, you're best to engage with Norton support direct.

On 16/04/2021 11:27 pm, Ed K0iL wrote:
So why isn't the JTAlertV2.Manager Application running as installed?  Hmmm.

The Manger is installed, it is your Norton protection software that is interfering with its execution.

See https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/34373

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ed K0iL

Thanks Laurie.

I do not see the manager process doing anything.

I checked the Norton File Insight settings for reputation settings on all the JT Alert and WSJT-X apps.  All were set exactly the same as WSJT-X and JTDX which are both running.  I even increased the JT Alert reputation by setting them to User Trusted which is highest level setting.  Rebooted, and restarted programs.  No change.  So I'm stumped.

Hoping I can re-install the older JT Alert version that was working for the past year with no problems.  Only did the upgrade because so many displayed call signs were not showing the proper LOTW flags that are listed LOTW on QRZdotCOM.  Was getting tired of doubling checking needed countries all the time.  Figured the year old JT Alert might be the cause of this.

73, de ed -K0iL

Ed K0iL

Laurie,

With Norton disable, I reloaded JT Alert.  But no change.

I forgot I got a pop up warning when I download 2.50.0 so did it again with Norton disabled.  Still got the same pop up warning.  Perhaps the Windows10 protection is causing this issue?

73, de ed -K0iL

Jim N6VH

On 4/17/2021 11:14 AM, Ed K0iL wrote:

Laurie,

With Norton disable, I reloaded JT Alert.  But no change.

I forgot I got a pop up warning when I download 2.50.0 so did it again with Norton disabled.  Still got the same pop up warning.  Perhaps the Windows10 protection is causing this issue?

73, de ed -K0iL

Ed,

That message looks like it might be from your browser. What browser are you using? I tested the download with Firefox, Edge and Chrome, with no problems. Incidentally, the messages you show are in the same place download messages show in Edge and Chrome. In my case, however, the messages were simply a confirmation of the download. Since you installed JTAlert, I assume you clicked keep.

I don't know if Norton is causing the problems, but it might be. As someone else suggested, check your firewall permissions.

I used Norton for awhile, but found it too intrusive. I ditched it and went to ESET. I have never had any problems with ESET. There are several on here that are happy with Microsoft's AV.

73,

Jim N6VH

Ed K0iL

Jim,

I use both, but probably Edge on this one looking at history.  Yes, "Keep" was checked in each case.  I was testing if there was any Norton problem in the download so disabled Norton did another download.  That appeared with Norton Disabled, but downloaded file was identical to the first one.  Installed it with Norton Disabled.  Still didn't work.  So no Norton impact.

Gave up on 2.50.0 and reinstalled last June's 2.16.7 with Norton restarted and changed back the WSJT-X settings.  It works again!  Made some contacts; it logged them automatically.  Everything works again on the older version.  I noticed I still have some Windows 10 virus and security stuff running.  But got burned out on trying to make this work on 2.50.0 at this point.  Whatever the problem is, might be time to look at GridTracker again.  For now, the old one works fine.

Thanks to Laurie and yourself for responses and ideas.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/04/2021 8:30 am, Ed K0iL wrote:

[...]

Are you certain you have the .NET 5 Desktop Runtime installed?
What does entering "dotnet" and "dotnet --info" produce when you type them into a Command Prompt window?
JTAlert 2.50.0 doesn't need to be installed to run those commands.
You should get something similar to this...

FYI, Disabling Norton, doesn't disable it completely. Norton has a long history of this behavior. One of the many reasons why many IT departments in the Corporate world long-ago abandoned Norton for PC Protection, myself included.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 18/04/2021 3:31 am, Ed K0iL wrote:
I do not see the manager
That's the problem. Without the Manager running, nothing will work. It is critical to JTAlert operation.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ed K0iL

Laurie
My PC's response to the dotnet is identical to yours.
My PC's response to the dotnet --info had only one difference: It did not show the 2 lines with 3.1.14 listed on the lines.

I'm curious what you use for PC virus and internet protection?

I used McAfee until almost 20 years ago when it failed to stop a virus from erasing my entire hard drive and then overwriting it.

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 18/04/2021 1:37 pm, Ed K0iL wrote:
My PC's response to the dotnet is identical to yours.
My PC's response to the dotnet --info had only one difference: It did not show the 2 lines with 3.1.14 listed on the lines.
Post an image showing the results.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bryan Downes

Edited

Thanks for all you do for us Laurie.

Running Mac OS Catalina, with Parallels Desktop allowing me to run Windows 10 Pro and all latest WSJT-X and JTAlert software are running perfectly within Ham Radio Deluxe. Many thanks for the extra bits Laurie and whilst a bit small for my old eyes they are readable on my 27" 5k iMac.

Running GB2DOE for a further 26 days to remember our Prince Phillip, Duke Of Edinburgh  (hence DOE) and did a few FT8 testers yesterday after downloading latest updates - 100% successfully.

Norton sucks.

73, Bryan M0OIC (also GB2DOE NoV held)

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 19/04/2021 11:18 pm, Bryan Downes wrote:
Many thanks for the extra bits Laurie and whilst a bit small for my old eyes they are readable on my 27" 5k iMac.

All the new windows are zoomable. If the text is too small zoom the window, the max is 300%.
Instructions are in the 2.50.0 features help file or look under the help view of the Options popup (click the gear icon).

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ed K0iL

Here it is Laurie,
Please let me know if something looks out of place.

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 23/04/2021 12:17 pm, Ed K0iL wrote:
Please let me know if something looks out of place.
That looks fine.

Are you running 32 bit Windows? If so, see this post https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/34606 <https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/34606>

Other 32bit users, both Win7 & Win10, have reported success with this new x86 build

de Laurie VK3AMA