Topics

locked JAlert error : The operating system is not presently configured to run this application

EI3GD

Hello group,
I've got a problem trying to get JT-Alert to run on my PC, Windows 10 64bit.
(updated to latest .net automatically in Win 10)
It appears to run ok for about 60 seconds then it gives the following error:
"Error... The operating system is not presently configured to run this application "
WSJT-X runs ok and is running before I start JT-ALERT.

any ideas folks?

Thanks
Ray

neil_zampella

What version of Windows 10 are you using?  How do you know you have the latest version of  DotNet installed?   Is it version 4.7 or higher?

Neil, KN3ILZ

EI3GD

Hi Neil, I'm sure because I checked the required version.
And today it just started working...! No idea why. Might be because I didn't run HRD first?.  Anyway I'm happy bunny now.

Cheers

Regards Ray
EI3GD

What version of Windows 10 are you using?  How do you know you have the latest version of  DotNet installed?   Is it version 4.7 or higher?

Neil, KN3ILZ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 4/10/2020 7:33 pm, EI3GD via groups.io wrote:
I've got a problem trying to get JT-Alert to run on my PC, Windows 10 64bit. (updated to latest .net automatically in Win 10)
It appears to run ok for about 60 seconds then it gives the following error:
"Error... The operating system is not presently configured to run this application "
WSJT-X runs ok and is running before I start JT-ALERT. any ideas folks? Thanks Ray
Ray,

A Google search will help you find a solution.

This error is not a JTAlert error but due to a problem with Windows or one of its components.

Since this is occurring after JTAlert has started and within the first minute suggests that is is likely due to the first logbook lookup.
What log are your using with JTAlert, is it a HRD log? In recent weeks there have been a significant number of users who have experienced problems (primarily slowdowns) that have been traced to problems with their HRD Logbook. The fix was to create a new HRD Log and import a previous export of their old logbook. While this fix corrected slowdowns within JTAlert it may fix your issue, its worth a try.

Let us know how you get on with this.

de Laurie VK3AMA

EI3GD

Hi Laurie,
Your spot on... problem went away when I don't use HRD.

Managed to get all working now, logging to HRD log file , all good...

Thanks for the reply.

Regards Ray
EI3GD

[...]

Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

Try right-clicking the JT-Alert icon and choose and Properties and then click the Compatibility Tab and check the box beside of where it says Run this program as administrator and then click OK at the bottom of the window and see if it will work using that method. If not you can always right-click the icon again, left click Properties and the Compatibility Tab again uncheck the box beside of where it says Run this program as administrator to turn it back off.  I've encountered a few programs/apps over the years I've had to do that with to get them to run, but I'm currently using the Microsoft 10 Home Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 operating system with JT-Alert for WSJT-X version 2.16.14 that's built into JT-Alert v2.16.14 and mine starts up fine without having to run it as administrator, but it won't hurt a thing for you to try starting it that way because you can easily turn it right back off. Good luck!

73 de Cliff, KU4GW

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Edited

On 5/10/2020 7:44 am, Cliff Fox (KU4GW) wrote:
[...]

IMHO, this is very bad advice. I NEVER recommend elevating JTAlert, there is no genuine need.

JTAlert is coded correctly to avoid the need to run elevated. Typically it is XP era applications, or recent apps written by inexperienced developers, that write/modify files in their install directory that need elevation to workaround their deficient coding. Even these applications can be run without elevation by installing the application outside the Windows protected "Program Files ..." directory trees. JTAlert can be installed safely into the "Program Files ..." directories as it is coded correctly to not write/modify files in its install location.

Often in a multi-interoperating-application setup it is often necessary to elevate all applications once one of them is elevated. This has a cascading effect as more applications need to be elevated in order to keep full functionality. I have lost count of how many installations I have encountered where by default the operator ritually permanently elevated every installed application. This is a significant security risk and should be avoided. Such a PC should not have an active Internet connection, IMHO.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

That's exactly why I told him how to turn it back off. My only intention was me trying to be helpful so for that please accept my sincere apology.

73, Cliff, KU4GW

EI3GD

Not to worry guys, I got it sorted. It was HRD causing a problem... logging good now.

Regards Ray
EI3GD