locked Is there an update order of priority for upgrading programs ?


Bob Frostholm
 

Hi Laurie,

I've been reading to emails today about the new versions of so many pieces of software. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before leaping in but I do want to ask if there is a particular order in which the pieces should be updated... or does it not make any difference.

I am currently operating the following (all older versions):

Net 5.0.8 (KB5004698)

JTAlert 2.50.0

WSJT-x v2.2.2

This combination works pretty well, although I have noticed that when I work a new grid on 6M and confirm that the contact is correct in both JTAlert and WSJT-x .adi logs that grid does not show up in the no longer Wanted Grids page even after I initiate rebuild alerts database. I have to exit JTAlert,(which also properly closes WSJT-x) restart it  (often several times) before the grid shows... time duration has been up to 30 minutes on occasion during which I'm being told about new grids I'm decoding that are not really new.... Hopefully it's the result of my combination of "not" up to date versions of the programs.

Example. it took over an hour for IL18 to appear this AM. I had only 1 other program running: Thunderbird email program

Computer is HP Pavilion dv6

Storage is 1TB SSD (with about 600GB available)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Cheers


73

Bob

Ko6Lu


--
Bob
KO6LU


Jim N6VH
 


On 7/14/2021 4:43 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:

Hi Laurie,

I've been reading to emails today about the new versions of so many pieces of software. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before leaping in but I do want to ask if there is a particular order in which the pieces should be updated... or does it not make any difference.

I am currently operating the following (all older versions):

Net 5.0.8 (KB5004698)

JTAlert 2.50.0

WSJT-x v2.2.2

This combination works pretty well, although I have noticed that when I work a new grid on 6M and confirm that the contact is correct in both JTAlert and WSJT-x .adi logs that grid does not show up in the no longer Wanted Grids page even after I initiate rebuild alerts database. I have to exit JTAlert,(which also properly closes WSJT-x) restart it  (often several times) before the grid shows... time duration has been up to 30 minutes on occasion during which I'm being told about new grids I'm decoding that are not really new.... Hopefully it's the result of my combination of "not" up to date versions of the programs.

Cheers


--
Bob
KO6LU
_._,_._,_


Bob,

This won't answer all of your questions, but I suggest moving to WSJT-X 2.4.0 and JTAlet 2.50.4. The order might not matter (not sure, though), but I would do WSJT-X first, then JTAlert. Net 5.0.8 is good - the latest one available.

Since the no longer needed grid finally shows up, that probably means it met you confirmation requirements to start with. If so, it should show as soon as you do a database rebuild. What logging program are you using?

73,

Jim N6VH


Bob Frostholm
 

Hi Jim,

I'm using the wstj-x internal log book... I periodically copy and sections of the adif and move it to my regular log (Prolog 2K by Data Matrix). I'm gradually trying to move to DXLab but am somewhat overwhelmed by it so far.

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
On 7/15/2021 1:20 PM, Jim N6VH via groups.io wrote:

Bob,

This won't answer all of your questions, but I suggest moving to WSJT-X 2.4.0 and JTAlet 2.50.4. The order might not matter (not sure, though), but I would do WSJT-X first, then JTAlert. Net 5.0.8 is good - the latest one available.

Since the no longer needed grid finally shows up, that probably means it met you confirmation requirements to start with. If so, it should show as soon as you do a database rebuild. What logging program are you using?

73,

Jim N6VH



On 7/14/2021 4:43 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:

Hi Laurie,

I've been reading to emails today about the new versions of so many pieces of software. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before leaping in but I do want to ask if there is a particular order in which the pieces should be updated... or does it not make any difference.

I am currently operating the following (all older versions):

Net 5.0.8 (KB5004698)

JTAlert 2.50.0

WSJT-x v2.2.2

This combination works pretty well, although I have noticed that when I work a new grid on 6M and confirm that the contact is correct in both JTAlert and WSJT-x .adi logs that grid does not show up in the no longer Wanted Grids page even after I initiate rebuild alerts database. I have to exit JTAlert,(which also properly closes WSJT-x) restart it  (often several times) before the grid shows... time duration has been up to 30 minutes on occasion during which I'm being told about new grids I'm decoding that are not really new.... Hopefully it's the result of my combination of "not" up to date versions of the programs.

Cheers


--
Bob
KO6LU

--
Bob
KO6LU


Jim N6VH
 

On 7/15/2021 2:03 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:

Hi Jim,

I'm using the wstj-x internal log book... I periodically copy and sections of the adif and move it to my regular log (Prolog 2K by Data Matrix). I'm gradually trying to move to DXLab but am somewhat overwhelmed by it so far.

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
Bob,

Yes, any good log program will certainly have a big learning curve. DXLab has a great reputation and support from the author. Once you get it going, you will find your workload will be a lot less, since you can log directly to DXKeeper, and then have JTAlert scan that log. I think you will find it well worthwhile to go that route.

Based on what you said, I'm guessing that you have "Enable Standard ADIF File Logging" checked in JTAlert. If so, that is the log that JTAlert will scan when you do a database rebuild. JTAlert doesn't scan the WSJT-X log when doing a rebuild. In that case, there won't be any QSL / LOTW confirmations listed in that file (or the WSJT-X file, for that matter). Since your database rebuild shows grid that aren't needed, I assume that you have "No QSL Confirmation (Any Worked Station)" checked in the Rebuild screen. Is that correct?

Let us know when you have upgraded to the most recent versions of JTAlert and WSJT-X, and if you are getting better results with your scanning.

73,

Jim N6VH


Bob Frostholm
 

Based on what you said, I'm guessing that you have "Enable Standard ADIF File Logging" checked in JTAlert.

Yes

If so, that is the log that JTAlert will scan when you do a database rebuild. JTAlert doesn't scan the WSJT-X log when doing a rebuild. In that case, there won't be any QSL / LOTW confirmations listed in that file (or the WSJT-X file, for that matter). Since your database rebuild shows grid that aren't needed, I assume that you have "No QSL Confirmation (Any Worked Station)" checked in the Rebuild screen. Is that correct?

Yes

73

Bob

Ko6Lu

On 7/15/2021 4:50 PM, Jim N6VH via groups.io wrote:
Based on what you said, I'm guessing that you have "Enable Standard ADIF File Logging" checked in JTAlert. If so, that is the log that JTAlert will scan when you do a database rebuild. JTAlert doesn't scan the WSJT-X log when doing a rebuild. In that case, there won't be any QSL / LOTW confirmations listed in that file (or the WSJT-X file, for that matter). Since your database rebuild shows grid that aren't needed, I assume that you have "No QSL Confirmation (Any Worked Station)" checked in the Rebuild screen. Is that correct?
--
Bob
KO6LU


Jim N6VH
 

On 7/15/2021 8:23 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:
Based on what you said, I'm guessing that you have "Enable Standard ADIF File Logging" checked in JTAlert.

Yes

If so, that is the log that JTAlert will scan when you do a database rebuild. JTAlert doesn't scan the WSJT-X log when doing a rebuild. In that case, there won't be any QSL / LOTW confirmations listed in that file (or the WSJT-X file, for that matter). Since your database rebuild shows grid that aren't needed, I assume that you have "No QSL Confirmation (Any Worked Station)" checked in the Rebuild screen. Is that correct?

Yes

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
Bob,

Thanks for the info. Based on what you have said, the worked grids should show up immediately after doing a "Rebuild Alert Database" process. Since that isn't happening, something is wrong. Also, just closing and restarting JTAlert (and WSJT-X) shouldn't have any effect on the not-needed grids. That would only be done by the "Rebuild Alert Database" process.

Have you upgraded WSJT-X and JTAlert yet? If so, did that make a difference.

How long does the database rebuild process take? Since you have an SSD, it should be fairly quick. For example, I have over 60,00 QSO's in my Log4OM log, and it only takes a little over a minute to do the rebuild. I realize this is a very different database structure than the adif you use, but it should still be a fairly short amount of time.

Incidentally, if you don't care about whether or not the QSOs are confirmed, you can check the box in the Grid Alert screen that says "Auto clear triggered Alert entity after logging" (see attached picture). I use that for the Marathon alert, and it works fine. It would still be a good idea to get the rebuild process working, though, since you might decide later to have various confirmations (LOTW, etc) as criteria for scanning.

73,

Jim N6VH


Bob Frostholm
 

Hi Jim,

I upgraded WSJT-X and JTAlert  and all seems to work fine.

73

Bob

Ko6Lu

On 7/16/2021 11:59 AM, Jim N6VH via groups.io wrote:

On 7/15/2021 8:23 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:
Based on what you said, I'm guessing that you have "Enable Standard ADIF File Logging" checked in JTAlert.

Yes

If so, that is the log that JTAlert will scan when you do a database rebuild. JTAlert doesn't scan the WSJT-X log when doing a rebuild. In that case, there won't be any QSL / LOTW confirmations listed in that file (or the WSJT-X file, for that matter). Since your database rebuild shows grid that aren't needed, I assume that you have "No QSL Confirmation (Any Worked Station)" checked in the Rebuild screen. Is that correct?

Yes

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
Bob,

Thanks for the info. Based on what you have said, the worked grids should show up immediately after doing a "Rebuild Alert Database" process. Since that isn't happening, something is wrong. Also, just closing and restarting JTAlert (and WSJT-X) shouldn't have any effect on the not-needed grids. That would only be done by the "Rebuild Alert Database" process.

Have you upgraded WSJT-X and JTAlert yet? If so, did that make a difference.

How long does the database rebuild process take? Since you have an SSD, it should be fairly quick. For example, I have over 60,00 QSO's in my Log4OM log, and it only takes a little over a minute to do the rebuild. I realize this is a very different database structure than the adif you use, but it should still be a fairly short amount of time.

Incidentally, if you don't care about whether or not the QSOs are confirmed, you can check the box in the Grid Alert screen that says "Auto clear triggered Alert entity after logging" (see attached picture). I use that for the Marathon alert, and it works fine. It would still be a good idea to get the rebuild process working, though, since you might decide later to have various confirmations (LOTW, etc) as criteria for scanning.

73,

Jim N6VH






--
Bob
KO6LU


Jim N6VH
 

On 7/16/2021 11:51 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:
Hi Jim,

I upgraded WSJT-X and JTAlert  and all seems to work fine.

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
Bob,

Great! Glad it's working for you now.

73,

Jim N6VH