locked Help Requested installing JTAlert 2.16.17

Jim

I am running Windows 7 and obviously the newest JTAlert does not install because I need .net 5 which will not install on windows 7.
So I went back to JTAlert 2.16.17 which gives me a popup saying this version requires .net 4.7.2 and to visit HamApps.com for the required setup file. Unfortunately this file is no where to be found (maybe my eyes are deceiving me I am old)  I have downloaded the .net 4.7.2 in both the version that is stand alone and the web version and attempted to install them and both get part way through and then start trying to reload the file as if there is a problem with the data. What did I do wrong ... or is there actually a problem with the file.  Hopefully someone will have a good .net4.7.2  so that I can operate some of the VHF contest tomorrow.

Jim K3YBN

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/06/2021 4:26 am, Jim wrote:
I am running Windows 7 and obviously the newest JTAlert does not install because I need .net 5 which will not install on windows 7.

Did you actually try installing the NET 5 desktop runtime? While officially win7 is not supported, many Win7 users have reported that installing it and running JTAlert 2.50.x works fine.
Just be aware of the current problems with version 5.0.7 of the runtime and JTAlert audio. Install the 5.0.6 version. See https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/35446

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim

Laurie   yes I did and that was the start of all of this.  It hung while trying to run .net5  and then when I tried to go back it would not let me and kept giving me an error message which seemed to indicate I had to remove .net5 before reinstalling 4.7.2 ... UGH  its been a long journey unfortunately.   I am not sure I am going to be able to get it working at this point and I really dont like windows 8 or 10 so I dont want to reformat and reload either of them.
I appreciate any help you may be able to give me.

Jim

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 12/06/2021 5:23 am, Jim wrote:
I had to remove .net5 before reinstalling 4.7.2
Something is not right your end.

NET 5 runtime and NET 4.7.2 framework are two totally different products, despite the Microsoft confusing naming and version numbering.
They can both be installed concurrently and will need to be for JTAlert.

Shame you don't have a screen-grab of the error message that leads you to think one has to be uninstalled before installing the other.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim

Evening Laurie,  Late update. I figured it out... when I could not get .net4.7.2 to run I opened up the log file that contained the errors and also opened a command window a opened the directory referenced in the error log. I found the file referenced (said to delete it) ..... I just ran it from the command line and it installed 4.7.2 perfectly so then I ran JTAlert 2.16.17 and it installed as well. Apparently like many of the windows system files you cant run a second occurrence of the file without either deleting the original or running the original, meaning the file in the operating directory.   I chose to run it and it worked... WHO KNEW   Sometimes I think Windows is  as a friend from down under used to say windows was "WAHOS"  (for those of you that are not AUSSIE... it means  :WHAT A HUNK OF SXXT)

In any event it is working now..

Thanks for the help

Jim  K3YBN

WU9D <mike@...>

And maybe it’s bad programming. Software developers need to keep up with updates from Microsoft if they are going to use their platforms. I for one don’t like this Dot Net 5.0.5, 5.0.6, 5.0.7 nonsense but unless you are an ostrich you must move with the leaders.