locked [Ham-Apps] Logging problems

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups03@...>

Hi John,

I will answer you questions in reverse order.

The "Sound OFF" setting being remembered between JT-Alert restarts is implemented in 1.5.1 (due for release today)

The missing B4 log path is by design. When JT-Alert first starts and reads your configuration file, any file specified in the configuration is tested to see if the file exists. If the file no longer exists, the setting is cleared and the configuration will show an empty field. If your field is being cleared, but on further investigation you find that the file does exists, then that suggests that something on your PC is preventing JT-Alert from reading your file system accurately (Virus software maybe) and that will require further investigation.

Your ADIF issue. I assume you are opening the JT65-HF adi log file and editing that in ADIF master. Is that correct?
JT-Alert 1.4.1 never looked at the JT65-HF log file, but 1.5.0 does, but it attempts to open the file once and in read-only mode only (after a Log QSO command) to determine the QSO data. This fileopen action, if it fails (due to permissions or locking) is never repeated and just returns no data to JT-Alert. JT-Alert doesn't open the file in write mode or apply any locks to the file and doesn't alter the adi file in any way. So if ADIF Master is reporting that the file is not of the correct format, then that suggests that a program other than JT-Alert has modified the file, that leaves either ADIF master or JT65-HF.

Having said all that, there seems to be some sort of PC file-system issue at play here. What virus software are you running? Have you tried disabling that. There have been no other reports of this issue, yours is the first, again leading me to think that it is specific to your PC environment.

As an alternative, have you tried logging to a JT-Alert created ADIF file (visit the logging section of JT-Alert configuration) and opening that file in ADIF Master and avoid opening the JT65-HF adi log.

Regards
Laurie, VK3AMA

On 22-October-2011 02:58, g4gcl wrote:

Hi Laurie.

I'm having strange problems with logging using 1.5.0.

I have a very simple setup which works fine with 1.4.1. I just have an ADIF file  and my normal sequence before 1.5.0 was:-

QSO

Log QSO - Fill in details

Open ADIF with ADIF Master and update extra things for EQSL such as comments.

I could leave ADIF Master open and the only thing I had to do was to make it re-read the file so that I could see the latest entries.

Now with 1.5.0 I get an error when I log the QSO and it asks me if I want to quit or carry on & risk data corruption. I usually quit and then spend quite a long time trying to find out what's wrong and load the QSO into the log file.

After this error if I try to open the file with ADIF Master it says the file is not the correct format. If I close 1.5.0 then ADIF Master will open it.

The only reliable way to log is either to have 1.5.0 closed down or use 1.4.1 which has non of these problems.

I really hope that's clear & you have some ideas! One last thing the B4 part seems to have stopped working today and I found that the log file path had disappeared, I've fixed that but I'm not sure if it's working now because of all the time sorting this other problem out. By the way I accidentally said yes to saving the QSO & possibly causing corruption & it added the previous QSO again but with the "m" missing from 10m! Very odd

One last thing Laurie. In future releases would it be possible to turn the sound off and save that option? Several times I have not noticed that it has been on because it resets every time it runs and it occasionally causes the program to crash.

That will teach you to comment about things being quiet!

73,

John.

John <john@...>

Hi Laurie.
We have visitors tonight so I will go through all your suggestions in the morning!

One quick thing is that the B4 path is actually there and is pointing to the same database used in 1.4.1 it was the path to the ADIF log file which had disappeared. I put it back in but still had the problems described.
I follow what you say about JT-Alert not locking the file but the strange thing is that it has worked, and still does work perfectly with version 1.4.1 which makes me think that JT65-HF and ADIF Master are not the culprits.

I'm running AVG Free, the latest 2012 version.

As I said I will work through your suggestions very carefully in the morning when the visitors leave. As always I appreciate all your help and it really is not a major problem because I can still use V1.4.1.

Very many thanks.
73,
John.

On 21/10/2011 21:54, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:

[...]

I have spent a little time trying to work out the failure mode.

The ADIF file is in the same location it's always been and so is the database. The only change I made was to get rid of the space in the folder name as you recommended and changed everything to match plus adding the \ of course.

If I start JT65-HF & JT-Alert and log a contact without ADIF Master running then I get an error. If I close down JT-Alert before pressing the log button it's fine. If I log the QSO and then, without JT-Alert running, open the ADIF file with ADIF Master it's fine but if, after logging without JT-Alert running I start it up and then try to open the file ADIF Master tells me that it is the incorrect format. If I close down JT-Alert at that point and try to open the file again it's fine.

None of these problems occur with 1.4.1.

I really get the impression that JT-Alert, as I have it set up, is taking over the log file and restricting access. Obviously it's my setup!

Here is the config of the log file location and the database. Can you see any obvious error?

I am obviously doing something very silly with a very simple setup but I can't see what!

All the very best Laurie,
[...]

Thanks for the screen captures. They provided the answer and indeed JT-ALert is opening the ADFI file for writing, but the wrong file.

The "Standard ADIF File" logging option SHOULD NOT use the JT65-HF adi log file. It is a separate file with additional fields (Name, QTH, ITU, CQ, DXCC, QSL request) that gets populated with data from the JT65-HF log and the additional fields available in JT-Alert.

Set the "Standard ADIF File" to point to another file/path and ignore the JT65-HF file. You still need to use the "Log QSO" function in JT65-HF which writes the JT65-HF file which triggers JT-Alert to read the JT65-HF log and write to the JT-Alert ADIF file (or any other enabled  & supported log).

If you still want to open and edit "jt65hf_log.adi" using ADIF Master as you have done in the past, you can, just don't have the JT-Alert ADIF pointing at the same file.

de Laurie, VK3AMA

On 23-October-2011 01:25, John wrote:
[...]

I may be beginning to understand, perhaps! I didn't realise that there was a difference between the ADIF file produced by JT65-HF and the one in the options of JT-Alert.

Since I only want the basic function that is to produce the JT65 log BUT to check the B4's I assume that I set it up like this:-

which to me means use this file for checking B4's but don't write to it, in fact don't write to any log file at all (as far as JT-Alert is concerned).

The problem is that although older QSO's seem to flagged ones just completed are not. Do I still need the database used in 1.4.1 because I got the impression I didn't?

Thank you for your patience. I'm glad I'm not going down the complicated route!

regards,
John.

On 22/10/2011 22:26, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:
[...]

If all you want to do is produce the JT65-HF log, that is handled by JT65-HF.

If you want to check B4's you will need to enable one of the log types in JT-Alert. In your situation, you can choose either the "JT-Alert Worked B4 File" or the "Standard ADIF File". The first option simply records Callsign and Band only and is only useful for B4 checking. The second option records additional QSO data (Callsign, frequency, mode, Name, QTH, Grid, DXCC, ITU, CQ, Comments & QSL request) and is typically used when people want to import ADIF QSO data into their log at at latter time and don't want to use the JT65-HF log as it records minimal information and after a typical log import into a logger, the user then has to manually edit QSO data adding missing info (Name, QTH, etc).

If you choose the JT-ALert Worked B4 file you can use the old .mdb file used under 1.4.1. If you check that section of the configuration, you will most likely find that a file "B4Log.mdb" has been setup already, if so, that will be your old file that has been copied and placed in the new default file location (defined under 1.5.0 & 1.5.1) as part of the settings migration from 1.4.1 to 1.5.0 when 1.5.0 was first run. It may be just a matter of enabling that option.

Important, if you choose the ADIF option, you must create a new file or select an existing file (typically an adif export from a logger), DON'T select the JT65-HF log file as you have in the attached image. That is what is causing all your problems.

de Laurie, VK3AMA

On 23-October-2011 19:12, John wrote:
[...]

Thanks Laurie I'll look into that.

Thank you for the fast response too. Have a great day.

Regards, John.