locked Had to downrev to 2.16.14 - for Multicast

Glenn Jensen

Guys,

Wonder why I had to downrev from 2.16.17 to 2.16.14 in order to get JTAlert to work properly with JTDX / GridTracker (using multicast UDP).

Seems to work fine with the older rev.

73's - Glenn

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 28/03/2021 5:11 pm, Glenn Jensen wrote:

Wonder why I had to downrev from 2.16.17 to 2.16.14 in order to get JTAlert to work properly with JTDX / GridTracker (using multicast UDP).

Seems to work fine with the older rev.

73's - Glenn

Likely you didn't enable the "WSJT-X UDP Multicast on Loopback" setting in JTAlert (under the Settings menu, top most entry). There have been a number of changes to Multicast handling in JTAlert due to recent changes in WSJT-X 2.3.0+ multicast behavior. See the JTAlert 2.16.17 release notes.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Glenn Jensen

Thanks Laurie –

I did have the “WSJT-X UDP Multicast on Loopback” checked per the original instructions.  I also tried with WSJT-X (given that my normal use case involved JTDX), same issue… didn’t work.

I’ll double check everything again – as I shared, works just fine with 2.16.14.

Great software – thanks for your efforts!

73’s - Glenn

On 28/03/2021 5:11 pm, Glenn Jensen wrote:

Wonder why I had to downrev from 2.16.17 to 2.16.14 in order to get JTAlert to work properly with JTDX / GridTracker (using multicast UDP).

Seems to work fine with the older rev.

73's - Glenn

Likely you didn't enable the "WSJT-X UDP Multicast on Loopback" setting in JTAlert (under the Settings menu, top most entry). There have been a number of changes to Multicast handling in JTAlert due to recent changes in WSJT-X 2.3.0+ multicast behavior. See the JTAlert 2.16.17 release notes.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

Glenn,

2.16.17 works just fine with WSJTX if WSJTX is configured properly.
I don't know if the stolen code for JTDX implements Multicast and
UDP Server the same way as WSJTX so you're on your own there.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 28/03/2021 5:11 pm, Glenn Jensen wrote:
Wonder why I had to downrev from 2.16.17 to 2.16.14 in order to get JTAlert
to work properly with JTDX / GridTracker (using multicast UDP).
Seems to work fine with the older rev.
73's - Glenn
Likely you didn't enable the "WSJT-X UDP Multicast on Loopback" setting in
JTAlert (under the Settings menu, top most entry). There have been a number
of changes to Multicast handling in JTAlert due to recent changes in WSJT-X
2.3.0+ multicast behavior. See the JTAlert 2.16.17 release notes.
de Laurie VK3AMA

Ray, ZL1OW

"stolen code" ?? I thought it was open source code

Joe Subich, W4TV

"Misappropriated code" in that the resulting code is not public and
not merged back into the common code base (a requirement of open
source software).

At the very least it is a "hostile fork" but since it keeps adopting
new features and protocols from the WSJTX code base, one can't really
call it a true "fork" - maybe a "hostile parasite".

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 30/03/2021 1:44 am, Glenn Jensen wrote:

I did have the “WSJT-X UDP Multicast on Loopback” checked per the original instructions.  I also tried with WSJT-X (given that my normal use case involved JTDX), same issue… didn’t work.

I’ll double check everything again – as I shared, works just fine with 2.16.14.

Great software – thanks for your efforts!

73’s - Glenn

Likely when you retested WSJT-X it was with 2.3.0 which had defect where it was not setting the interface for the UDP multicast. For JTAlert it needs a loopback interface set in wsjtx and the before mentioned menu setting in JTAlert.

Regarding JTDX multicast, I can't fault it with JTAlert 2.16.17. I just now installed the latest JTDX offering, 2.2.0-rc155, and multicast worked without issue. My JTDX settings...

My only suggestion is to wait and try the next JTAlert release.

I neglected to mention in my reply, none of the JTAlert test team who run JTDX have reported the UDP multicast problem reported in this thread.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Glenn Jensen

Thanks everyone.

If it's helpful, I found that I was on 239.255.0.0 (switched to 239.255.0.1)
- but the bigger issue was that I was using 2234 for as the port (switching
to 2237, UDP multicast works across the platforms - this was the critical
change).

Ironically, the previous config worked just fine for 2.16.14 with the port
set at 2234.

Appreciate the comments - I have a fully integrated system now.

I actually prefer the look/feel of JTDX, both are highly useable and a lot
of fun.

Best 73's

Glenn

p.s. - made the changes on WJST-X (works as well)