Topics

locked Guam on country list

rogich@...

NH2A shows up as Guam when I saw him on today. KH2 is Guam. Thanks

K9FD

NH2 is Guam,  so is AH2 etc etc,

NH2A shows up as Guam when I saw him on today. KH2 is Guam. Thanks

Jim Cooper

On 23 Mar 2020 at 17:41, K9FD wrote:

NH2 is Guam,  so is AH2 etc etc,

NH2A shows up as Guam when I saw him on today. KH2 is Guam.
Thanks
but if you look at QRZ.com, THAT particular ham
is no longer living in Guam even though he kept his
Guam callsign ... I suspect that was the point Roger
was trying to make.

w2jc

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/03/2020 12:09 pm, rogich via Groups.Io wrote:
NH2A shows up as Guam when I saw him on today. KH2 is Guam. Thanks

A station using a Guam prefixed Callsign (NH2 in this case) will alert as Guam.

The next release of JTAlert changes that behavior. Any non-US callsign decoded that is recorded as active in the FCC database, listing a CONUS State, JTAlert will treat that Callsign as US originating and Alert as such.

This change is not foolproof as a true Guam based station that records a CONUS postal address in the FCC database will be incorrectly alerted as the US. This is not limited to Guam, it is a universal test/change for all non-US callsigns decoded.

There is no easy 100% reliable solution to handle US stations using non-US callsigns.

Maintaining an override database of reported (by users) Callsigns with country mismatches would be a maintenance nightmare, more trouble than it is worth, and will not be implemented. A user-maintained override database, similar to the DXLab override mechanism, is a possibility, but not high priority in my todo list.

On 24/03/2020 3:33 pm, Jim Cooper wrote:
but if you look at QRZ.com, THAT particular ham
is no longer living in Guam even though he kept his
Guam callsign ...  I suspect that was the point Roger
was trying to make.

w2jc

What is listed on QRZ will not help real-time decoding of Callsigns. A QRZ XML lookup would correctly identify the station as US based and adjust the log fields data, but that only occurs after a QSO has been initiated (the DX Call gets set in WSJT-X). Initiating the QSO was likely due to the initial Guam dxcc alert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David Rounds

I have a friend that has an Alaska callsign (KL7) even though he lives in 9 land.
He lived in Alaska for 6 years and got his vanity call sign while working there then moved back home.
David
AK9F

On 3/23/2020 11:33 PM, Jim Cooper wrote:
On 23 Mar 2020 at 17:41, K9FD wrote:

NH2 is Guam,  so is AH2 etc etc,

NH2A shows up as Guam when I saw him on today. KH2 is Guam.
Thanks

but if you look at QRZ.com, THAT particular ham
is no longer living in Guam even though he kept his
Guam callsign ...  I suspect that was the point Roger
was trying to make.

w2jc

K9FD

I have been in KH6 for 20 years,  kept my ILL call sign K9FD
its getting long enough now that many recognize my call and DXCC,

JTalert shows my state correct,   good enough for me.

Merv K9FD  Molokai Island Hawaii

I have a friend that has an Alaska callsign (KL7) even though he lives in 9 land.
He lived in Alaska for 6 years and got his vanity call sign while working there then moved back home.
David
AK9F

On 3/23/2020 11:33 PM, Jim Cooper wrote:
On 23 Mar 2020 at 17:41, K9FD wrote:

NH2 is Guam,  so is AH2 etc etc,

NH2A shows up as Guam when I saw him on today. KH2 is Guam.
Thanks
but if you look at QRZ.com, THAT particular ham
is no longer living in Guam even though he kept his
Guam callsign ...  I suspect that was the point Roger
was trying to make.

w2jc

Jim Brown

I passed my Extra in 1959, and the deal then was that after 25 yrs you could apply for a 1x2 call. Well before 25 yrs rolled around, FCC reformed licensing to make our license an Operator's License, with no designated QTH, only a mailing address, and our call became  our call anywhere in the US and territories, any Extras could apply for a 2-letter call. By then, I was off the air, out of touch with ham radio, with W9NEC. It was 2005, and I was still in Chicago, and had been back on the air for two years when I applied for K9YC. And, like you, I kept it when I moved to NorCal in 2006. The only times I sign /6 are when working E-skip on 6M CW, so that stations I'm calling won't turn their beams in the wrong direction! There are hams living in CA with KP4 calls, in AZ with KH7 calls, and so on. Our contest club includes more than a dozen refugees like me with W1, K2, N3, W4, K5, W8, W9, and W0 calls. All but two have lived here for decades.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:13 PM K9FD <merv.k9fd@...> wrote:
[...]

Dale Avery

Would it not be common courtesy to sign /6 for other hams so we could know where you are located?  When I am working FT8 and trying to finish 10, 15 & 17 M (already have 20-160m FT8 WAS), it would be nice to be able to skip the calls of stations in areas I no longer need. I’ll soon be working on finishing up SSB and CW WAS and would really appreciate my fellow hams to sign their calls with the areas they are in.

Best 73 & DX

Dale Avery WU7X

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Anthony Luscre

If you are not already using JT Alert, I strongly recommend it.
It can show you the state of each decoded station.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:19 PM Dale Avery <WU7X@...> wrote:

[...]

K8ZT
Ohio Section Section Youth Coordinator & Education Outreach
ARRL - The National Association For Amateur Radio™

k8zt@... (best for Amateur Radio)

The Web Resource Hoarder- www.ZTLearn.com

K8ZT Radio Website- www.k8zt.com

Amateur Radio Resources for Students/Youth - www.k8zt.com/hry

Larry Banks

There are two issues:
  • JTAlert will show the state on the FCC license.  For hams like me who operate in two states it does not show when I am in ME rather then MA.   The grid is different, however I doubt that many hams can make use of that info on the fly.
  • WSJT-X no longer allows me to use W1DYJ /ME (it used to in earlier versions).  And If it did I would have to double upload to LoTW as both W1DYJ and W1DYJ/ME as I would have no idea how other stations would log me.  (W1DYJ/P or W1DYJ/1 says nothing about where I am and generates the same logging issue.)
When I am in ME, I use TX5 to add “73 FROM MAINE” (13 letters) to let people know.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

[...]

Jim Reisert AD1C

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 4:30 PM Laurie VK3AMA wrote:

[...]

To add to this:

I maintain the country files that a lot of software uses (including WSJT).  There are literally hundreds or thousands of "out of country" callsigns for the United States and its territories.  Although Club Log and I have been adding any such callsigns we find to our respective databases (on a weekly basis), it is impractical to list all of them in the contest country files.  Here is the rule that I use for the contest country files:

In other words, if you have one of these callsigns, and you are an active contester, then there is a good chance that your callsign will be in the country file.

Obviously this doesn't hold for active DXers who are not active contesters.  It sounds like Laurie's solution to this is to use the FCC database, which is probably the best way to do it.  As he pointed out, there is no 100% reliable solution to this problem, to which I'll add, without a lot of manual effort.  It can be done (Alan 5B4AHJ and I have been working on this for years).  But it's a lot of work and only about 1% of these callsigns, if even that, is useful on a day-to-day basis.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@...>, http://www.ad1c.us

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 25/03/2020 12:11 pm, David Rounds wrote:
I have a friend that has an Alaska callsign (KL7) even though he lives in 9 land.
He lived in Alaska for 6 years and got his vanity call sign while working there then moved back home.
David
AK9F

He should not be affected.

JTAlert has always overridden the Country, changing it to the USA for KL7, HI and KG4 callsigns if they had a CONUS State recorded in the FCC database.

The next release of JTAlert has extended that Country override to consider all non-US Callsigns that are listed in the FCC database.

On 26/03/2020 5:16 am, Larry Banks via Groups.Io wrote:
  • JTAlert will show the state on the FCC license.  For hams like me who operate in two states it does not show when I am in ME rather then MA.   The grid is different, however I doubt that many hams can make use of that info on the fly.
When I am in ME, I use TX5 to add “73 FROM MAINE” (13 letters) to let people know.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Larry,

US ops operating from multiple locations (States) has always been a problem for JTAlert. It is also a problem if the State recorded in the FCC database is a postal address in a different State from the residential (operating) address.

JTAlert is moving to utilizing a State determination based on the on-air grid used which will help. But that is not a 100% reliable solution for grids that span 2 or more State borders. This Grid based State lookup is not yet active and may not be for several versions (it is not high priority).

JTAlert has already changed to consider on-air grids for B4 checks, State lookups based on Gridsquares is partially coded but not ready for prime-time.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Larry Banks

Thanks Laurie,

I certainly was not complaining!  The real issue is not JTAlert – it’s logging in general when a ham has multiple shacks.  There is no perfect solution of what call to use.

Using the grid for me will be problematical.  My Massachusetts grid in FN42 – also New Hampshire, my Maine grid is FN43, also New Hampshire, unless you are going to six-digit grids which will reduce but not eliminate the issue.

Larry / W1DYJ

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 15:59

On 26/03/2020 7:16 am, Larry Banks via Groups.Io wrote:
Thanks Laurie,

I certainly was not complaining!  The real issue is not JTAlert – it’s logging in general when a ham has multiple shacks.  There is no perfect solution of what call to use.

Using the grid for me will be problematical.  My Massachusetts grid in FN42 – also New Hampshire, my Maine grid is FN43, also New Hampshire, unless you are going to six-digit grids which will reduce but not eliminate the issue.

Larry / W1DYJ

Larry,

I know you weren't complaining.

I don't see 6 character grids as a solution as they are not conveyed on-air for FT8 & FT4, the most popular modes. I recall there is a 6 character grid transmission on VHF, I don't recall the mode used.

Transmission of your true State as a final free-text message is the only quick solution I see. Its not ideal, as most users would prefer to know the State prior to making a decision to initiate a QSO with you. Then you have the users
(I suspect a significant number) who don't read or ignore what is happening on their screen for which a free-text message would be of no value.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Hasan Schiers N0AN

If they are calling CQ you can look at the Grid, that's a pretty good indicator.
73, N0AN
Hasan

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 12:19 PM Dale Avery <WU7X@...> wrote:

[...]

Barry

Larry
I have noticed ?MM stns using this format
VA7GEM/MM CN85
this sent twice every two contacts.
Then CQ VA7GEM/MM
This way anyone wkrk them can find their grid.
GL de Barry

Larry Banks

But Maritime Mobile stations are not useful for many awards, IIRC.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 18:19

On 25 Mar 2020 at 15:19, Barry via Groups.Io wrote:

I have noticed ?MM stns using this format
VA7GEM/MM CN85
this sent twice every two contacts.
Then CQ VA7GEM/MM
This way anyone wkrk them can find their grid.
I wish they would ALL do that !!
There are several /MM that are on quite often,
but what's the point of working them again if you
have no idea where in the world they are located?!