gmail alerts stopped working when Google forced on two-factor authentication on Nov 9, 2021

Brian

FYI when Google forced TFA on for free accounts on Nov 9, my email alerts stopped working (using swithmail).

I did find I could go in to Google account settings and turn two-factor back off, and alerts started working again.

I even tried signing in on that PC with a browser with TFA and made sure remember this device was checked, but I think that is just a browser cookie and did not work for swithmail.

Anyone else have this issue, and anyone know how to manage a TFA sign-in from the command line (alert.bat) with swithmail?

thanks

Brian N3OC

g4wjs

On 22/11/2021 15:06, Brian wrote:
FYI when Google forced TFA on for free accounts on Nov 9, my email alerts stopped working (using swithmail).

I did find I could go in to Google account settings and turn two-factor back off, and alerts started working again.

I even tried signing in on that PC with a browser with TFA and made sure remember this device was checked, but I think that is just a browser cookie and did not work for swithmail.

Anyone else have this issue, and anyone know how to manage a TFA sign-in from the command line (alert.bat) with swithmail?

thanks

Brian N3OC
Brian,

TFA on Google accounts was not enforced, just recommended with a nag message.

With TFA enabled, for external applications that do not use the "Login with Google" facility, you must set up an "App password" for the host and application pair that you wish to authenticate for access to Google Mail. That 16 character password that is generated can then be used for authentication on the smtp.gmail.com servers with your gmail account id instead of the Google account password you used before enabling TFA.

Note that this also avoids the need to enable "less secure access" in your Google account.

Bill
G4WJS.

Brian

Edited

Google forced it on November 9th for all "free" accounts, at least here in the USA.  I have three of them and they all went on 11/9/2021.  Thanks for the info on setting up the app password, that is probably the solution and I'll give it a try!

Google
Soon you’ll sign in with 2-Step Verification
After you enter your password, you’ll complete a second step on your phone. Keep your phone nearby when you sign in.

2-Step Verification will be turned on automatically on November 9. You can turn this on sooner if you want — your account is all set.

Captain Fantastic

I'm not being asked for 2-factor auth. But Google will want you to "enable less secure applications" I think. I've got this same scenario with a few apps.

Seth