locked Getting menu to appear at top of screen

ve7nz

This is probably obvious, but I cannot find the answer and it is driving me crazy. How do i get the top menu to appear?  File etc etc?  Somehow I have changed the program options such that the menu is not there and i cannot then go to the menu option to Rebuild Alert Database.  I am sure it's something simple to make it reappear but I only seem to have the gear option to play with and cannot find it there.  Thx. Adrian VE7NZ

Michael Black

Can you send a snapshot of the window?

Sounds like you might be looking at the "Callsigns" window.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 04:13:05 AM CDT, ve7nz <adrian@...> wrote:

This is probably obvious, but I cannot find the answer and it is driving me crazy. How do i get the top menu to appear?  File etc etc?  Somehow I have changed the program options such that the menu is not there and i cannot then go to the menu option to Rebuild Alert Database.  I am sure it's something simple to make it reappear but I only seem to have the gear option to play with and cannot find it there.  Thx. Adrian VE7NZ

K0GU

It's probably hiding under another window. Go down to the task bar and place your cursor over the JTAlert icon. That will show any JTAlert that is running. Then click on the window it shows you and the menu bar will come up on top.
--
73,  Jay  K0GU

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 22/09/2022 7:13 pm, ve7nz wrote:
This is probably obvious, but I cannot find the answer and it is driving me crazy. How do i get the top menu to appear?  File etc etc?  Somehow I have changed the program options such that the menu is not there and i cannot then go to the menu option to Rebuild Alert Database.  I am sure it's something simple to make it reappear but I only seem to have the gear option to play with and cannot find it there.  Thx. Adrian VE7NZ

If you're looking at a JTAlert window that has a gear icon on the lower-right of the window, there is no menu for the window. TYhat applies to all the windows displaying a gear icon.

The Rebuild Database menu is available on the main JTAlert window, it is the only window that contains a top-level menu. This is the window with the JTAlert version number, your callsign and several pieces of status info in the title of the window. This is not new and has been the case for a very long time.

de Laurie VK3AMA

ve7nz

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I should have been clearer, it was the menu that is associated with the Callsigns window that includes (Alerts, Settings, View, Sound ON, Help) that disappeared.  I fixed it in the end by doing a complete reinstall (including deleting the config files in x86/%local% - or something like that). I have been running JT-Alert since inception at multiple stations and have never seen this menu disappear (I believe there used to be a menu check-box on an earlier version where you could turn it on/off).  I could not find it "hiding" as [reasonably] suggested either.

73, Adrian VE7NZ

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/09/2022 7:31 pm, ve7nz wrote:
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I should have been clearer, it was the menu that is associated with the Callsigns window that includes (Alerts, Settings, View, Sound ON, Help) that disappeared.  I fixed it in the end by doing a complete reinstall (including deleting the config files in x86/%local% - or something like that). I have been running JT-Alert since inception at multiple stations and have never seen this menu disappear (I believe there used to be a menu check-box on an earlier version where you could turn it on/off).  I could not find it "hiding" as [reasonably] suggested either.

73, Adrian VE7NZ

FYI, JTAlert has never had a checkbox for turning the menu display on/off. The menu is always displayed on the main JTAlert window, which is the window with the "Alerts, Settings, View, Sound ON, Help" menu.

Since we are talking about the main JTAlert window, my guess as to what was happening is that you had JTAlert set to dock to the top of the WSJTX window and that window was positioned towards the top of the screen such that the menu of JTAlert was pushed off-screen. Dragging the WSJTX window down while JTAlert is docked would reveal the off-screen menu. Is that what was happening?

de Laurie VK3AMA