locked Getting fed up..... #FT8

Gilles beaulieu

Hi Laurie, really getting fed up with this FT* stuff. I have done many contacts in the past. Here's what I have here: Yaesu FTDX-1200, scu-17, running ACLog, WSJT-X (ver. 2.3.0) and the latest JTAlert. I had it running perfectly without any hassles yesterday. Today I rebooted my PC and started JTAlert and try to make a few contacts. I keep getting errors with the sound card. No matter what I change in the setup it keeps crashing on me with the same messages. Not impressed at all.
Gilles - ve3npi

Michael Black

What "same messages" ??

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:15:34 AM CDT, Gilles beaulieu <ve3npi@...> wrote:

Hi Laurie, really getting fed up with this FT* stuff. I have done many contacts in the past. Here's what I have here: Yaesu FTDX-1200, scu-17, running ACLog, WSJT-X (ver. 2.3.0) and the latest JTAlert. I had it running perfectly without any hassles yesterday. Today I rebooted my PC and started JTAlert and try to make a few contacts. I keep getting errors with the sound card. No matter what I change in the setup it keeps crashing on me with the same messages. Not impressed at all.
Gilles - ve3npi

Paul

Are you running windows 10? Tuesday they did an update, it has scrambled many usb drivers to different ports, changed parameters etc. Took me over an hour to recover all mu USB attachments. Just one more of the windows features they keep forcing on us.

W2EC Paul

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 11:17:49 AM EDT, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

What "same messages" ??

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:15:34 AM CDT, Gilles beaulieu <ve3npi@...> wrote:

Hi Laurie, really getting fed up with this FT* stuff. I have done many contacts in the past. Here's what I have here: Yaesu FTDX-1200, scu-17, running ACLog, WSJT-X (ver. 2.3.0) and the latest JTAlert. I had it running perfectly without any hassles yesterday. Today I rebooted my PC and started JTAlert and try to make a few contacts. I keep getting errors with the sound card. No matter what I change in the setup it keeps crashing on me with the same messages. Not impressed at all.
Gilles - ve3npi

Michael Black

Yeah...I had the same problem and so did a friend of mine with the latest update.

Had to uninstall all sound devices (make sure you select View/Show hidden devices too) and reboot to let them install again...

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:23:23 AM CDT, Paul <w2ec@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike, thanks for the info, did what you had to do and everything seems ok for now.

73

Gilles VE3NPI

--

Gilles - VE3NPI

Prescott-Russell Amateur Radio Club

www.prarc.ca

Ron / W4MMP

Hi,

I never have this problem with any Windows update.  This I believe is due to the fact that I give a name to the sound devices I care about.  It appears that Windows updates don't mess with named sound devices.  Do a similar naming operation for any USB/Serial adapters you care about.  That is performed in the device manager.  Give the USB/Serial device a com port number away from the default com port number (com1,com3,etc) such as com14.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 4/14/2021 11:25, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Excellent point, the View/Show Hidden devices. That really messed me up until I found out about the need to do that and I deleted the "hidden" devices so I could reassign them as needed.

For those that haven't found this command group yet:

1. start by going to the windows Control Panel
2. select Device Manager
3. select View
4. select Show Hidden Devices
5. select Ports (COM & LPT}
6. you will see a list of the USB and LPT ports, those ports that are not available for reassignment will be greyed out. You can then select it and chose to delete it or delete it AND the driver that is needed to reinstall it.

Why would you need to do all this? Suppose you were running fine before a windows update, and one of your critical USB's was assigned to com port 8. After the windows update, windows has reassigned your USB device to com port 12 and your system no longer works because it expects to find that device on port 8. Your choices are to change all your software to com port 12 or to reassign your device back to com port 8. Trouble is, windows has locked com port 8 to the USB it was originally assigned to even though the update has also reassigned it to com port 12. You need to first remove the locked/hidden (non-existent) port to make it available for reassignment. The same thing happens with audio ports and other devices. Thank windows for not leaving things the way they were before they forced the update on us.

W2EC Paul

Jim Cooper

On 14 Apr 2021 at 8:15, Gilles beaulieu wrote:

I had it running perfectly without
any hassles yesterday. Today I
rebooted my PC and started JTAlert
and try to make a few contacts. I keep
getting errors with the sound card.
There was a windoze update last night
(one of my pcs keeps reminding me that
I need to reboot because of it) ...

Windoze updates are notorious for
mucking up the audio settings ... go into
the Windoze audio settings and see what
has changed ... (you do keep a record of
your settings, don't you? ;) ]

Phil Cooper

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting a new Win10Pro box set up for the shack, and one of the “horrors” of Win10 that I am aware of (especially relating to radio software) is the fact that audio devices often end up being messed up.

This idea sounds really good, so is it really true? Can others confirm that this is correct?

Also, I use a microHAM MK11 as a connection between the PC and my radio (IC7800) and I wonder if Joe W4TV can confirm whether it is permissible to change the name of the microHAM sound devices?

Any advice would be welcomed….

I am not even going to try and install v2.5.0 or .NET5 on my old Win7pro (32bit) PC, as it is struggling already, and I would like to be able to network it so that I can retrieve files, check ini files etc once I have swapped them out.

73 de Phil GU0SUP

[...]

Microsoft likes to mess with the USB device every few updates.
All you have to do if you have a problem is uninstall all your audio devices and reboot.

I (and many others) have had to do this multiple times over the last several years.

It's not every update...but seems like it's the major ones that tend to mess with USB devices.
Can happen to both audio and COM ports.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 04:43:40 PM CDT, Phil Cooper via groups.io <pcooper@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mike I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Another small problem is on WSJT-X Band Activity used to get some callsign were highlighted different color. I don't get that anymore... Did I miss something along the way? any ideas?

Thanks

Gilles - VE3NPI

On 4/14/2021 5:48 PM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Check these settings in JTAlert.

Inline image

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 04:58:55 PM CDT, Gilles beaulieu <ve3npi@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike, that's what I thought, they are both check but don't get the color highlights.

Guess I'll have to read some more...

Thanks

On 4/14/2021 6:04 PM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Mike, I forgot to mention that I get them but only in the callsign window of JTAlert, but can't click on them if I want to chase some DX callsign for example.

Thanks again

Gilles

On 2021-04-14 5:21 PM, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:

Also, I use a microHAM MK11 as a connection between the PC and my radio (IC7800) and I wonder if Joe W4TV can confirm whether it is permissible to change the name of the microHAM sound devices?
Yes, it is permissible to change the names (Line, Headset earphone,
Headset microphone) but is not likely to provide any more resistance
to Windows' messing with assignments for the other sound cards in
the system. Changes to the other cards, particularly arbitrary
changes in the "Default Device" and "Default Communications Device"
for both recording (receive) and playback (transmit) are more often
responsible for audio problems.

Perhaps I've been lucky but I have seven Playback devices (Line
[MK III], Line [MK II], Speakers [computer], Speakers [USB Audio
CODEC - MK2R+], Speakers [USB Voice CODEC - MK2R+], and 2 x VAC)
and 11 Recording devices (Microphone [MK III], Line [MK III],
Headset mic [MK II], Line [MK II], Line [computer], mic [computer],
microphone [USB Audio CODEC - MK2R+], microphone [USB Voice CODEC -
MK2R+], 2 x VAC, "Stereo Mix" [computer]) and have not had any
significant problem with scrambling of audio endpoints as a result
of Windows Updates.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:23:23 AM CDT, Paul <mailto:w2ec@arrl.net> <w2ec@arrl.net> wrote:
Are you running windows 10? Tuesday they did an update, it has scrambled many usb drivers to different ports, changed parameters etc. Took me over an hour to recover all mu USB attachments. Just one more of the windows features they keep forcing on us.
W2EC Paul
On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 11:17:49 AM EDT, Michael Black via groups.io <mailto:mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
What "same messages" ??
Mike W9MDB
On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:15:34 AM CDT, Gilles beaulieu <mailto:ve3npi@outlook.com> <ve3npi@outlook.com> wrote:
Hi Laurie, really getting fed up with this FT* stuff. I have done many contacts in the past. Here's what I have here: Yaesu FTDX-1200, scu-17, running ACLog, WSJT-X (ver. 2.3.0) and the latest JTAlert. I had it running perfectly without any hassles yesterday. Today I rebooted my PC and started JTAlert and try to make a few contacts. I keep getting errors with the sound card. No matter what I change in the setup it keeps crashing on me with the same messages. Not impressed at all.
Gilles - ve3npi

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/04/2021 7:21 am, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
I use a microHAM MK11 as a connection between the PC and my radio (IC7800) and I wonder if Joe W4TV can confirm whether it is permissible to change the name of the microHAM sound devices?

Phil,

Exact same setup here, 7800 & MKII. None of my Microham audio devices have been renamed. They are still using factory default naming. I never encountered the audio device reassignments after a Windows10 update that others have. See my theory on why in this message https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/34216

To be safe I suggest you wait for some authoritative feedback from MicroHam, aka Joe W4TV.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ron / W4MMP

Hum, OK.   How do you know that is not likely to help?  Have you tried
what I have suggested and found that it does not help?

At any rate, I find naming devices to something that is more
recognizable helps when configuring applications.

73,
Ron / W4MMP

On 4/14/2021 18:38, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
On 2021-04-14 5:21 PM, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:

> [...]

W2EC Paul

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 11:17:49 AM EDT, Michael Black via groups.io <mailto:mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

What "same messages" ??

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:15:34 AM CDT, Gilles beaulieu <mailto:ve3npi@outlook.com> <ve3npi@outlook.com> wrote:

Hi Laurie, really getting fed up with this FT* stuff. I have done many contacts in the past. Here's what I have here: Yaesu FTDX-1200, scu-17, running ACLog, WSJT-X (ver. 2.3.0) and the latest JTAlert. I had it running perfectly without any hassles yesterday. Today I rebooted my PC and started JTAlert and try to make a few contacts. I keep getting errors with the sound card. No matter what I change in the setup it keeps crashing on me with the same messages. Not impressed at all.

John Petrocelli

Hello,

  I think someone mentioned that actually "Naming" the devices may mitigate this.  Perhaps it was only for the COM ports

John
John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com

On 2021-04-14 6:54 PM, Ron / W4MMP via groups.io wrote:
Hum, OK. How do you know that is not likely to help? Have you tried
what I have suggested and found that it does not help?
Good grief! Phil asked my opinion, I gave it along with my experience
with more sound devices that anyone else here (except a Flex user with
no limits on DAX devices) is likely to encounter.

Like Laurie, I do not allow my systems to update in the middle of
the night *AND* 1) I completely disable the power saving features
of Windows; 2) I disable "fast boot" (A.K.A. "hybrid sleep") to force
Windows to load kernel drivers (including sound/USB devices) from
the hard drive on every boot.

As I said, I have not had significant issues with audio endpoint
scrambling and have only seen it when one or more devices has been
physically disconnected during an update. In that case, reconnecting
the missing device and *REBOOTING WINDOWS* generally returns the
proper configuration.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 15/04/2021 8:16 am, Gilles beaulieu wrote:

Mike, I forgot to mention that I get them but only in the callsign window of JTAlert, but can't click on them if I want to chase some DX callsign for example.

Gilles
Non-coloring of decodes in WSJT-X by JTAlert and non-response to JTAlert Callsigns clicks is a classic problem that is more common in recent months with the new WSJT-X releases.

The fix is simple, enable the "UDP Accept requests" in WSJT-X, Settings window, Reporting tab.

For some reason, this setting is getting unchecked for many users with recent WSJT-X releases. I don't know if it is a defect in WSJT-X or the user setting up new configs in WSJT-X which will by default not have that setting enabled. I suspect the latter scenario.

de Laurie VK3AMA