locked Flex Two slice WSJT-X Setup

Ken Bills

I have been struggling with my Flex two slice setup with WSJT-X, JTAlert, N1MM, and HRD. I have everything running except slice B (second copy of WSJT-X) is not flagged stations that have been worked before. The adif file is the same for both copies of WSJT.

I have attached a screen shot and you can see both slices are on 40m and the b copy is not catching the dupes. I use N1MM as a dupe checker while running as well. All contacts are pushed to HRD for final keeping and upload to LoTW, eQSL, ClubLog, and QRZ.

Any thoughts?

73
Ken-W9KB

Dave Garber

not sure why n1mm is in the mix, are you running 2 occurrences of jtalert?   sounds like a udp error between softwares

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 4:50 PM Ken Bills via groups.io <kbills=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have been struggling with my Flex two slice setup with WSJT-X, JTAlert, N1MM, and HRD. I have everything running except slice B (second copy of WSJT-X) is not flagged stations that have been worked before. The adif file is the same for both copies of WSJT.

I have attached a screen shot and you can see both slices are on 40m and the b copy is not catching the dupes. I use N1MM as a dupe checker while running as well. All contacts are pushed to HRD for final keeping and upload to LoTW, eQSL, ClubLog, and QRZ.

Any thoughts?

73
Ken-W9KB

Ken Bills

I use N1MM to double check dupes and unusual callsigns. It took some time to make it work for sure.

Regarding the original concern, I closed N1MM and the second copy of WSJT and it still does not seem to communicate with JTAlert... even if I close my A slice.

The B slice seems mute.

There is likely a better way.

Thank & 73
Ken-W9KB

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/10/2021 7:49 am, Ken Bills via groups.io wrote:
I have been struggling with my Flex two slice setup with WSJT-X, JTAlert, N1MM, and HRD. I have everything running except slice B (second copy of WSJT-X) is not flagged stations that have been worked before. The adif file is the same for both copies of WSJT.

I have attached a screen shot and you can see both slices are on 40m and the b copy is not catching the dupes. I use N1MM as a dupe checker while running as well. All contacts are pushed to HRD for final keeping and upload to LoTW, eQSL, ClubLog, and QRZ.

Any thoughts?

73
Ken-W9KB
You're not getting JTAlert coloring on the second instance of WSJTX because you're only running one instance of JTAlert (based on the image posted). For each instance of WSJTX there needs to be an instance of JTAlert running. Simply start a second instance of JTAlert, there are no settings involved, it will auto-assign it self to the second WSJTX instance.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ken Bills

Thanks... will give it a try.

73
Ken-W9KB

Ken Bills

Finally managed desired setup:

2 instances of JTAlert/WSJT-X and two active slices with Flex 6500 AND N1MM for dupe checking across different bands, callsign verification, etc. This required a third party TCP/UDP port splitter program. The secret (which took all day to discover) was splitting the secondary UDP server port and forwarding to N1MM. Splitting the main UDP port server interfered with JTAlert's operation (no alerts forwarded to WSJT). It's a less than elegant solution, but works for me.

The third party program was way too expensive, but I did manage to get  a 50% 'educational' discount.

https://www.aggsoft.com/tcp-splitter/

Thanks to Laurie VK3AMA for offering some help on how to open the second instance of JTAlert.

73
Ken-W9KB

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/10/2021 8:34 am, Ken Bills via groups.io wrote:
Finally managed desired setup:

2 instances of JTAlert/WSJT-X and two active slices with Flex 6500 AND N1MM for dupe checking across different bands, callsign verification, etc. This required a third party TCP/UDP port splitter program. The secret (which took all day to discover) was splitting the secondary UDP server port and forwarding to N1MM. Splitting the main UDP port server interfered with JTAlert's operation (no alerts forwarded to WSJT). It's a less than elegant solution, but works for me.

The third party program was way too expensive, but I did manage to get  a 50% 'educational' discount.

https://www.aggsoft.com/tcp-splitter/

Thanks to Laurie VK3AMA for offering some help on how to open the second instance of JTAlert.

73
Ken-W9KB

Ken, Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, you need to jump through these type of hoops and expense because of how N1MM has been coded. It doesn't support multicast UDP. Multicast UDP when enabled allows for multiple applications to work with WSJTX concurrently without interference to other participating applications. The N1MM developer has chosen deliberately not to implement multicast UDP (his words not mine), so without your sort of workaround N1MM will block any other application trying to work with WSJTX.

FWIW, implementing multicast UDP is a trivial task, taken a handful of code lines, easily supported in the language N1MM is coded. Why the N1MM developer is refusing to implement this user-friendly change is unknown.

de Laurie VK3AMA