locked Filters - A feature request

Mike Flowers

I am using JTAlert v2.50.1 with great effect here.  I find that I am using the Settings > Filters features quite a lot.

I change the Filter values frequently as I change bands and as propagation changes.

It would be most convenient of 'Filters' were one of the Windows Options for the Callsign window.  I know this would improve usability for me, and I suspect for other ops as well.

Thanks for this great tool, Laurie!

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 1/06/2021 3:14 am, Mike Flowers wrote:
I am using JTAlert v2.50.1 with great effect here.  I find that I am using the Settings > Filters features quite a lot.

I change the Filter values frequently as I change bands and as propagation changes.

It would be most convenient of 'Filters' were one of the Windows Options for the Callsign window.  I know this would improve usability for me, and I suspect for other ops as well.

Mike,

I agree the Filtering needs to be moved to the Callsigns window, but there are complications.

Currently, the decodes feed that the Callsigns window receives from the main JTAlert process (the old main window) is already filtered. To move the Filtering to the Callsigns window would require that the decode feed from the main window be unfiltered, that makes sense, but some filtering is occurring in the Alerts generated code which is still within the bowels of the old code. There are some filtering options I could easily move right now, but I chose not to do that to avoid likely user confusion by having filter options in two different parts of the program.

Which of the Filter settings are you frequently changing?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-05-31 4:06 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

Which of the Filter settings are you frequently changing?
For me ... "Show only callsigns generating alerts"! I turn that on
when a band is busy (e.g., 20 meters) and off when a band has a
relatively low number of stations (e.g., 6 meters, 10 meters, 12
meters most of the time).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-05-31 4:06 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
[...]

Hi Laurie,

I am turning off and on NA decodes very frequently, and B4 off and on less frequently.

And I agree that from a structural perspective having Filters centralized is best.

It's not really an inconvenience to do the Settings > Filters process - I just thought it would be 'neat' to be able to do it from the Callsigns window.

73 de Mike, K6MKF

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 1/06/2021 6:25 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
For me ... "Show only callsigns generating alerts"!  I turn that on
when a band is busy (e.g., 20 meters) and off when a band has a
relatively low number of stations (e.g., 6 meters, 10 meters, 12
meters most of the time).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Joe,

Since your using the Beta, you could switch the view type of the panel that you wanted to be filtered to "Alerts Only".
I can see the need to provide quick access to making these on-the-fly changes, perhaps via the individual Panel menus.

On 1/06/2021 7:00 am, Mike Flowers wrote:

I am turning off and on NA decodes very frequently, and B4 off and on less frequently.

And I agree that from a structural perspective having Filters centralized is best.

It's not really an inconvenience to do the Settings > Filters process - I just thought it would be 'neat' to be able to do it from the Callsigns window.

73 de Mike, K6MKF

Regarding the NA only filtering, I can offer (with the next release) a "Local Decodes" display. This will restrict the callsigns displayed to those originating from your Country (DXCC #), not quite a NA Filter, but close. The opposite of the "Local Decodes" display is the "DX Decodes" which will restrict the callsigns displayed to those originating from Countries other than your own. To "sweeten the pot", the Callsigns window will allow you to view both these filtered views concurrently in separate display panels on the Callsigns window. ;-)

de Laurie VK3AMA

Russ Ravella

That would be awesome Laurie, thanks !!
Russ KR6W

On May 31, 2021, at 2:14 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

Edited

Thanks, Laurie.   As a matter of fact, that may be even better.   When I turn off NA, I am looking for DX and miss decodes of all the Caribbean and Central American stations which seem to be in the NA category.  Local vs DX is a great approach!

73 de Mike, K6MKF

William Osborne

So for old brain like mine, there is currently no way to see only DX spot, i.e, not USA spots?

Thanks for great program,
Bill---K5ZQ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/06/2021 6:15 am, William Osborne wrote:
So for old brain like mine, there is currently no way to see only DX spot, i.e, not USA spots?

Thanks for great program,
Bill---K5ZQ

There is, but you will need to wait until the next public release.

The next release has as options a "Local Decodes" display and a "DX Decodes" display. The "DX Decodes" which will restrict the callsigns displayed to those originating from Countries other than your own. The Callsigns window will allow you to view both these filtered views concurrently in separate display panels on the Callsigns window. ;-)

The next release is imminent, I have delayed it while I monitor the Microsoft developer activity regarding the current NET 5.0.7 runtime defect that breaks the sound output. I am hoping they release a fix within the next couple of days so I don't have to release the new JTAlert which has workaround for the defect but it means JTAlert will be restricted to playing audio on the default Windows device only rather than a user-settable device.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Mike Flowers

I have installed v2.50.2 and it's working great!  Thank you very much for all the effort you've put into JTAlert!!  It's awesome!

I think 'Decodes DX' view type excludes DX stations with a B4 status - is this correct?

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/06/2021 7:08 am, Mike Flowers wrote:
I think 'Decodes DX' view type excludes DX stations with a B4 status - is this correct?
Only if you have the "Alerts -> Filters -> Do not show B4 Callsigns" filter set on the main JTAlert window, otherwise the B4's should flow through to the "Decodes DX" view (and all other views).

If you don't have the B4 filter enabled and the callsigns are not displayed in Callsigns window let me know and I will do some investigation.

FYI, Filtering that is set in the main JTAlert window will eventually migrate over to the new Callsigns window, but that is unlikely in the near future.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Seb

Laurie the Decodes DX panel doesn't appear to be working.  I'm seeing DX stations on the other panels (RR73, CQ, and Distant decodes).

Regardless, this is an incredible update.

73 de W4AS

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/06/2021 8:50 am, Seb wrote:
Laurie the Decodes DX panel doesn't appear to be working.  I'm seeing DX stations on the other panels (RR73, CQ, and Distant decodes).

Regardless, this is an incredible update.

73 de W4AS

That's correct behavior. If you have multiple panels visible, a DX callsign may appear in multiple panels/views depending on the type of decode that panel is set for. A DX station calling CQ will appear in both CQ and DX panels if you have both visible. They are not mutually exclusive.

The DX Decodes view will show all callsigns that originate from a country other than your own regardless of the type of decode or Alerts triggered.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Seb

I don't think you understood my message.  I'm seeing DX stations (outside of my country) on panels such as CQ and Distant decodes.  I understand they will appear in multiple panels depending on the type of decodes.

However, no DX stations are showing in the Decodes DX panel.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/06/2021 9:02 am, Seb wrote:
However, no DX stations are showing in the Decodes DX panel.

In the "Decodes DX" view are you seeing all callsigns, local and DX, or no callsigns?

If it is all callsigns that would be due to not seeing your DXCC in the JTAlert Settings.

From the 2.50 features help file...

de Laurie VK3AMA

Seb

Hopefully the attached will display here.

Again, I'm not seeing any DX stations in the Decodes DX panel.

73 de W4AS

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/06/2021 9:12 am, Seb wrote:
Hopefully the attached will display here.

Again, I'm not seeing any DX stations in the Decodes DX panel.

73 de W4AS

That doesn't look right. The PV8 should be appearing in the DX panel.

Try enabling the "Decodes Local" panel as well, so you have both DX and Local visible, are the DX calls showing in the Local panel? They should not. Post another image.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim Cooper

On 22 Jun 2021 at 16:12, Seb wrote:

Again, I'm not seeing any DX stations in the Decodes DX panel.
You are decoding only ONE dx station, and that station
is flagged as B4 ... check your various B4 filters -
something is blocking them going to the DX window.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/06/2021 9:12 am, Seb wrote:
Again, I'm not seeing any DX stations in the Decodes DX panel.

73 de W4AS

Have you set your DXCC number in the main JTAlert Settings?

de Laurie VK3AMA