FFMA Grid Alerts- User Defined Alerts

Francis Inman KV5W

Laurie,
The FFMA Audio/Visual alert filter is a great! Thanks for the addition. Is there any way to apply this to the user defined alerts as well? This would be appreciated by those of us that use the email notification scripts triggered by the user define alert options.

-Francis, KV5W

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 20/07/2021 8:50 am, Francis Inman KV5W wrote:

The FFMA Audio/Visual alert filter is a great! Thanks for the addition. Is there any way to apply this to the user defined alerts as well? This would be appreciated by those of us that use the email notification scripts triggered by the user define alert options.

-Francis, KV5W

Francis,

If you're creative you can modify your existing email script/batch file to trigger on 6m FFMA grids.

Currently the Grid and Band values are available so you could modify the script to check if the Grid is an FFMA grid and if you're on 6m and generate a suitable email. This would require checking the grid against a predefined list of FFMA grids within your script, that will be the tricky part depending on your skill-set.

Alternatively, wait until the next JTAlert release, which has an additional environment variable, "JTAlert_IsFFMAGrid", which is automatically set if the decoded Grid is an FFMA Grid. So you're script would only need to test if the environment variable "JTAlert_IsFFMAGrid" equals "Yes" to know what type of Grid was decoded.

Check your email I have sent you a new build of JTAlert with this new functionality to test.

Can we get the FFMAGrid as a separate user-defined checkbox though?
I can easily modify my script to check for FFMAGrid but that would then defeat the regular grid alert which one would want to suppress.
I can see people want either one or both so a checkbox seems appropriate.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, July 20, 2021, 06:43:49 PM CDT, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

de Laurie VK3AMA

Francis Inman KV5W

I modified Mike's email scripts slightly and have the 6m FFMA grid email alerts working properly with the beta. To Mike's point, it's an all or nothing approach. On days that I want to receive all needed grid alerts on 6m, I would have to run a different email script. I'm fine with that, however adding it as a checkbox to the user defined alerts or an addition to something related to the "Obey Alert Filters" check box would be quicker.

-Francis, KV5W

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 22/07/2021 12:18 am, Francis Inman KV5W wrote:
I modified Mike's email scripts slightly and have the 6m FFMA grid email alerts working properly with the beta. To Mike's point, it's an all or nothing approach. On days that I want to receive all needed grid alerts on 6m, I would have to run a different email script. I'm fine with that, however adding it as a checkbox to the user defined alerts or an addition to something related to the "Obey Alert Filters" check box would be quicker.

-Francis, KV5W

I'd rather not have to add additional logic and UI changes to the existing (old AutoIT) code-base. This new IsFFMAGrid variable for the user alert didn't involve any coding changes to the old code, it was a simple one-line addition to the code that generates the user alert, adding in the additional "Yes/No"variable, no UI changes and now changes to the existing alerting logic, which, frankly has become a mess of spaghetti code I prefer not to play with at this time.

The simplest solution would be to create an additional mailer script for FFMA. When you want to switch between chasing FFMA only or all Grids on 6m, open the Settings and select the appropriate script.
I know it takes time to open the Settings window, but we have to live with that for the foreseeable future. If I was to add a checkbox backed with code to make changes to the alerting logic you would still have to open the Settings window.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Francis Inman KV5W

Works for me. I think many of the serious FFMA grid chasers wouldn't take issue with changing out email scripts for this functionality. I simply added a single digit to the script file name for easy swap. Thanks for adding the environment variable. We appreciate it!

-Francis, KV5W