Topics

locked Feature request - More Callsign display slots.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 30/08/2020 12:59 pm, John C wrote:

Hello Laurie, I hope all is well up there.   I have had a request from a mate who is not a forum member to ask for this, and I also think its might be handy.

FT8 is soooooo popular now that jtalert cannot at times, display all of the decoded calls that are on air, so, would it be possible to increase the current maximum number of callsign lines from the present 4 and also increase the maximum 'per line' from the current 9 ?????

regards

John
VK7XX

John,

Your friend is welcome to join this group, there are no restrictions.

More Callsign slots is on the "currently being worked on" list (in fact unlimited callsign display), but I cannot provide an ETA.

I respectfully suggest that wanting more Callsigns displayed is the wrong approach. You should be looking at making your operating easier and less chaotic by reducing the number of Callsigns displayed. Engaging one or more Alert filters to remove callsigns that you're likely not interested in working, especially on very busy bands like 20m & 40m where potential QSO partners are many, is the better approach IMO. I would be looking at not displaying worked B4 callsigns as a start.

If you want to see every decoded callsign beyond the hard 36 limit of the main JTAlert window, you will need to have the Decodes window open. There is no limit with that window plus it has it retains past period decodes unlike the main window.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Alfred Reeves

Why do you need more than 36 decodes displayed?  In the 15 sec decode interval is difficult to examine 36.  What if Laurie gives you 56, 72 etc. your not fast enough to examine them. IMHO it's a waste of programming time and resources.  Just my thoughts.
Al, W1JHU

Chuck Adams

If you need more relevant decodes displayed, choose the CQ Only option in WSJT-X.  Only CQs will show up.

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device

Why do you need more than 36 decodes displayed?  In the 15 sec decode interval is difficult to examine 36.  What if Laurie gives you 56, 72 etc. your not fast enough to examine them. IMHO it's a waste of programming time and resources.  Just my thoughts.
Al, W1JHU

Chuck Adams

Or you can use Settings > Manage Settings > Miscellaneous Alerts > Filters > Show only Callsigns generating alerts.  That will certainly reduce the number of decodes displayed in JTAlert.

73,

Chuck Adams
KV4VT

On 31/08/2020 3:47 pm, Chuck Adams wrote:
Or you can use Settings > Manage Settings > Miscellaneous Alerts > Filters > Show only Callsigns generating alerts.  That will certainly reduce the number of decodes displayed in JTAlert.

73,

Chuck Adams
KV4VT

Chuck,

A quicker method to achieve the same result without the delay in opening the Settings window is to use the "Alerts -> Filters" menu.

de Laurie VK3AMA

TomK

As a fellow JTA user, I may have misunderstood your request.

If you are referring the displayed messages in the DECODES window,

then there is a specific option to do *exactly* that.

It’s called  Alerts Only Option.

Click [Filter], then [X] Show Only Alerts

I use it often to seek logging only Grid/Prefixes/New DX/State/Prov, etc.

Works like a champ on steroids.

If you meant to limit the default QSO display grid (not DECODES window)

then I am not sure of its value since the DECODES window does all the same and so much more.

I like to see the lower grid disappear and focus on bit diddling the DECODES window to increase its speed and reduce its latency.

Just my 13 cents.

TomK / KT1TK / 73

On 31/08/2020 3:47 pm, Chuck Adams wrote:

Or you can use Settings > Manage Settings > Miscellaneous Alerts > Filters > Show only Callsigns generating alerts.  That will certainly reduce the number of decodes displayed in JTAlert.

73,

Chuck Adams

KV4VT

Chuck,

A quicker method to achieve the same result without the delay in opening the Settings window is to use the "Alerts -> Filters" menu.

de Laurie VK3AMA

I tried to upgrade to the new version. Then after shutting down the program I couldnt get it to load. I did a restart and that didn't work.

So I installed the last version and its work FB.

Software bug or Me?

Anyone else having this issue??

73 Dave NU4N

--
DAVE NU4N

Craig

Agree. Filter and make the 36 most effective.

On Aug 31, 2020, at 01:09, Alfred Reeves <areeves18@...> wrote:

Why do you need more than 36 decodes displayed?  In the 15 sec decode interval is difficult to examine 36.  What if Laurie gives you 56, 72 etc. your not fast enough to examine them. IMHO it's a waste of programming time and resources.  Just my thoughts.
Al, W1JHU

chas cartmel

I tend to agree that 36 is enough, however to put an opposing argument those using JT65/JT9 which are my favourite modes there will be more time to examine the ‘extra’ calls.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

Agree. Filter and make the 36 most effective.

On Aug 31, 2020, at 01:09, Alfred Reeves <areeves18@...> wrote:

Why do you need more than 36 decodes displayed?  In the 15 sec decode interval is difficult to examine 36.  What if Laurie gives you 56, 72 etc. your not fast enough to examine them. IMHO it's a waste of programming time and resources.  Just my thoughts.
Al, W1JHU

John Kjos

I was not looking for MORE overall. Was wanting to have more slots than the 9 available, so it is wider on the screen to save space.

73 John W9RPM

On 8/31/2020 7:12 AM, Craig wrote:
Agree. Filter and make the 36 most effective.

On Aug 31, 2020, at 01:09, Alfred Reeves <areeves18@...> wrote:

Why do you need more than 36 decodes displayed?  In the 15 sec decode interval is difficult to examine 36.  What if Laurie gives you 56, 72 etc. your not fast enough to examine them. IMHO it's a waste of programming time and resources.  Just my thoughts.
Al, W1JHU
--
EMAIL: john@...
WEBPAGE: http://www.w9rpm.com/

John C

thanks for your reply and suggestions Laurie.   My friend is not very computer literate and has problems with even some simple things so forums are not for him.   At your suggestion, I took him on a step by step journey through the filters and after setting the B4 filter he is much happier.

cheers

Joihn