From: "Pete Ritter K5CPR via groups.io" <cpritter@...>
Date: 8/9/21 1:32 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: [HamApps] Feature Request - DXCC Most Wanted rank

I doubt that I'm the first to suggest this, but a quick search revealed no other such suggestions, so here goes ...

How about adding the rank on ClubLog's "DXCC Most Wanted List" to the info on the hover-over pop-up?

Pete Ritter K5CPR

It’s an additional bit of information. I’m an info junkie. It’s to me more valuable than the DXCC entity number that is displayed already. In the rare event that I decode more than one new DXCC, knowing the wanted rank of each would help me decide which to chase first.

Dave Garber

I have my wanted dxcc in yellow to show new on that band.   Hsving most wanted to me would alert to some i had worked b4 but met the new criteria.....

On Tue., Aug. 10, 2021, 9:16 a.m. Pete Ritter K5CPR via groups.io, <cpritter=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
It’s an additional bit of information. I’m an info junkie. It’s to me more valuable than the DXCC entity number that is displayed already. In the rare event that I decode more than one new DXCC, knowing the wanted rank of each would help me decide which to chase first.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/08/2021 11:16 pm, Pete Ritter K5CPR via groups.io wrote:
It’s to me more valuable than the DXCC entity number that is displayed already.

The DXCC number is displayed because there is no overhead in doing so, it is already available internally due to checking the DXCC Alert status.

On 10/08/2021 3:32 am, Pete Ritter K5CPR via groups.io wrote:
I doubt that I'm the first to suggest this, but a quick search revealed no other such suggestions, so here goes ...

How about adding the rank on ClubLog's "DXCC Most Wanted List" to the info on the hover-over pop-up?

This is the first request for this.

Performing an online lookup to determine where a decoded station appears in the "Most Wanted" rankings is not suitable for the real-time alerting of JTAlert. It would be more suitable as part of the current online lookups when the DXCall changes. That is limited to the the data gathering & display for the current QSO partner.

JTAlert could mitigate the overhead of an online lookup by caching the lookup results as it currently does for other CPU expensive tasks like log B4 checks & XML lookups.

Having JTAlert from multiple users hitting the ClubLog server, even with local lookup caching, would likely not be appreciated by ClubLog.

JTAlert could eliminate the online-lookups by have the Rankings stored locally in the Callsigns database, my preferred method BTW, but that will require extending the Callsign database schema producing a database that is incompatible with all current JTAlert versions. Extending the Callsign database is currently a work-in-progress project as I have other data I want to include as part of some Alerting enhancements that are planned.

Knowing a station's position in the "Most Wanted" rankings, is in my mind, an "eye-candy" feature, like showing the location of decoded Callsigns on a world map. Both achieve little in working/logging stations, nice to look at, but not adding any real utility to the real-time alerting, IMO.

This is something I will add to the "nice-to-have-but-not-urgent" todo list. It may get elevated from that list when the current Callsign Database redesign project progresses.

On 11/08/2021 7:02 am, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) via groups.io wrote:
[...]

de Laurie VK3AMA

Adding to my previous message...

At the time of my initial response I hadn't done any investigation into the lookup mechanism on Clublog. I assumed the lookup would be done in real-time (like xml lookups), thus my comments on overhead. Turns out the "Most Wanted" rankings are updated on a Monthly basis. That sort of frequency is a better fit for inclusion of the data into the existing database. It will be trivial to add to the database, but will be a breaking change so will not be rolled out anytime soon. It will have to wait until I finish the database extension project.

The inclusion & display of a ranking number (that is all it is) is not a high priority at this time.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Pete Ritter K5CPR

I hadn't envisioned it as a real-time lookup. I'd think that an infrequent update of the MWL of, say, every six months, would be fine since the ranks don't change much.  And I agree with you that it is eye candy and therefore not urgent or very important. Thanks for considering the change.