locked Enhancement suggestion/discussion - JTAlert directional/directed CQ

Andy k3wyc

It is quite common for stations to call CQ and only want replies from stations meeting some specified condition e.g. CQ NA, CD ND, CQ EU, CQ ASIA, etc.   These CQ calls can be highlighted by a red box (default) which I take to imply "Warning - don't click me".

What if that CQ was actually directed at stations for which I'm in the wanted group?  In my case I'd want to know if someone called CQ AZ, CQ NA, or CQ USA.   Perhaps the simplest way to implement this would be to have the user specify the exact match criteria e.g.

Show all CQ (border color)
Show CQ not directed at me (border color)
Show CQ direct at me (border color)
Directed CQ match criteria - USA, US, NA, AZ

Would anyone else find this, or something similar, useful?

73,
Andy, k3wyc

Craig

Andy - this is not only for us, but benefits the caller, i.e., they would not be getting inadvertent calls from stations currently not seeing / not meeting the criteria.  I think this is a good idea!

Craig
NZ4CW

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 9:31 AM Andy k3wyc <a.durbin@...> wrote:
It is quite common for stations to call CQ and only want replies from stations meeting some specified condition e.g. CQ NA, CD ND, CQ EU, CQ ASIA, etc.   These CQ calls can be highlighted by a red box (default) which I take to imply "Warning - don't click me".

What if that CQ was actually directed at stations for which I'm in the wanted group?  In my case I'd want to know if someone called CQ AZ, CQ NA, or CQ USA.   Perhaps the simplest way to implement this would be to have the user specify the exact match criteria e.g.

Show all CQ (border color)
Show CQ not directed at me (border color)
Show CQ direct at me (border color)
Directed CQ match criteria - USA, US, NA, AZ

Would anyone else find this, or something similar, useful?

73,
Andy, k3wyc

Phil Cooper

Hi all,

From my experience, if I call (for example) CQ NA, or CQ KL7, I get responses from anyone and everyone.

It all depends on your call, and your DX location.

Yes, it would be wonderful to call CQ YB and only get calls from YB stations, but in reality, it simply doesn't work that way.

Just my perspective!

73 de Phil GU0SUP

[...]

Jim Cooper

On 10 Apr 2021 at 17:34, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:

From my experience, if I call (for
example) CQ NA, or CQ KL7, I get
It all depends on your call, and
your DX location. Yes, it would be
wonderful to call CQ YB and only get
calls from YB stations, but in
reality, it simply doesn't work that
way.
There are a couple of ways to look at these
situations ...

* does the station calling CQ YB want ONLY
contacts with YB stations? or are they signalling
that they are looking for YB, but willing to work
others?

if the first, they might be calling CQ YB for
several days without a single QSO ... and they
might be being 'selfish' and denying others a
desired contact with them.

usually, I see the second situation -- where a station
using a direction or specific CQ will still answer those
calling them -- showing courtesy and really not denying
themselves the specific QSO (unless they happen to
be getting flurry of desired calls all at the same time --
rather unlikely).

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/04/2021 11:31 pm, Andy k3wyc wrote:
It is quite common for stations to call CQ and only want replies from stations meeting some specified condition e.g. CQ NA, CD ND, CQ EU, CQ ASIA, etc.   These CQ calls can be highlighted by a red box (default) which I take to imply "Warning - don't click me".

What if that CQ was actually directed at stations for which I'm in the wanted group?  In my case I'd want to know if someone called CQ AZ, CQ NA, or CQ USA.   Perhaps the simplest way to implement this would be to have the user specify the exact match criteria e.g.

Show all CQ (border color)
Show CQ not directed at me (border color)
Show CQ direct at me (border color)
Directed CQ match criteria - USA, US, NA, AZ

Would anyone else find this, or something similar, useful?

73,
Andy, k3wyc

JTAlert 2.50.0 (to be released in 2 days) has a new Callsigns window, replacing the Callsign display grid embedded in the main JTAlert window. Introduced with this new (resizable no-limit callsign display) window is the display of CW Badges and Borders. Rather than showing a generic indicator character of the old display, the word in a directed CQ is displayed in the badge. Someone calling "CQ VK" will have a badge showing "VK" overlaying the Callsign.

An example showing the 3 badge types, general CQ, 73 and directed CQs. The colored border display for each type is also user-controlled, here the 73 badge has the border disabled.

Currently there is no provision for high-lighting only user-defined direction words, that's on the todo list.

On 11/04/2021 6:21 am, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) via groups.io wrote:
CW Badges

That should read CQ Badges.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Duncan Campbell

I agree with Jim.  A case and point is: I need a particular JA prefecture, Fukui, there are only a handful of Hams in this Prefecture and the chances are very remote that I would get one of them (I keep trying anyway).  I call "CQ JA29" but I will take calls from anyone.  I am stating a preference or desire, not a rule.  Of course I am hoping that someone in Japan would pick up the phone and call a ham in Fukui to tell them that someone is looking for them.

My two-cents 73 Duncan, KF6ILA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/04/2021 7:40 am, Duncan Campbell wrote:
I agree with Jim.  A case and point is: I need a particular JA prefecture, Fukui, there are only a handful of Hams in this Prefecture and the chances are very remote that I would get one of them (I keep trying anyway).  I call "CQ JA29" but I will take calls from anyone.  I am stating a preference or desire, not a rule.  Of course I am hoping that someone in Japan would pick up the phone and call a ham in Fukui to tell them that someone is looking for them.

My two-cents 73 Duncan, KF6ILA

If it was me, I would try and get a list of active JAs in the prefectures that are needed and add them to the Wanted-Callsign Alert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Barry VA7GEM

Duncan
Hoping to learn something here.
What is JA29? It is not a grid. Is
JA divided somehow that I am not aware of?
TVM
Barry

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 01:21 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
JTAlert 2.50.0 (to be released in 2 days) has a new Callsigns window, replacing the Callsign display grid embedded in the main JTAlert window.
Thanks. I'll look forward to using this new feature.

73,
Andy, k3wyc

Duncan Campbell

Japan is divided into 47 Prefectures which are like our states but numbered 1 - 47.  Like the WAS award, Japan has a "Worked All Japanize Prefectures" Award or WAJA.  I have worked 46 of the 47 Prefectures and have been chasing the last for six weeks now.  Working Fukui would be like working Washington DC, but with Washington being butted up against a mountain range.  Fukui is Prefecture 29.  thus CQ JA29.  You ought to try chasing this award...  it is very challenging.

73 de Duncan, KF6ILA

Barry VA7GEM

Duncan
TVM
Turns out I had the prefecture map on my desk.
I had always refered to pref's by name and forgot they had a number.
cheers
Barry