locked Dozens of WSJT-X config files


K1APJ@...
 

Good day-

My installation of WSJT-X appears to work flawlessly, but I noticed that it appears to save a new config file every session!
here is a partial screen shot- There appears to be one file for each session since WSJT-X was installed on this new computer. Win 10 Pro.




Is this a setup error on my part, or a boo-boo, or "just the way it is?"

Thank you for your support of this terrific product!


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

My installation of WSJT-X appears to work flawlessly, but I noticed
that it appears to save a new config file every session!
That's not WSJTX but JTAlert config files you are seeing. Check the
directory tree again ...\HamApps\...\JTAlertX

It is actually JTAlert saving its Config settings when it closes.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-02-27 1:50 PM, K1APJ@ARRL.net wrote:
Good day-
My installation of WSJT-X appears to work flawlessly, but I noticed that it appears to save a new config file every session!
here is a partial screen shot- There appears to be one file for each session since WSJT-X was installed on this new computer. Win 10 Pro.
Is this a setup error on my part, or a boo-boo, or "just the way it is?"
Thank you for your support of this terrific product!


HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 28/02/2021 5:50 am, K1APJ@... wrote:
Good day-

My installation of WSJT-X appears to work flawlessly, but I noticed that it appears to save a new config file every session!
here is a partial screen shot- There appears to be one file for each session since WSJT-X was installed on this new computer. Win 10 Pro.

Is this a setup error on my part, or a boo-boo, or "just the way it is?"

Thank you for your support of this terrific product!

OM,

These files belong to JTAlert not WSJT-X.

At most you should only see 7 days worth of these config backup files. JTAlert automatically removes older files.

The date & time in the file name is the UTC date & time when the file was created.

Something is not working correctly if your seeing files older than 7 days. Perhaps your Protection software is interfering and not allowing JTAlert to delete its files.

You can safely delete these backup files, those with a date in the filename. DO NOT delete config.sqlite, that is your current configuration file and all your settings will be lost if it is removed.

de Laurie VK3AMA


K1APJ@...
 

Good day-

Yes, of course the title of the thread is wrong, I understand these are JTAlert files, per the directory tree, but I am happy to hear that they should not ALL be saved. I'll need to dig into that a bit.

Thank you for your timely and concise response, and your tireless support of the hobby



WB5JJJ - George
 

In checking, I found over 300 files in the folder.  Deleted all but config.sqlite.  

Win10Pro updated
Windows Security (default)

Seems like an error dialog should be displayed if the files can't be deleted.  
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969


Hasan Schiers N0AN
 

I just checked that folder here, and there were 175 files in it. Deleted all but the one cautioned about.
73, N0AN
Hasan


On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 8:37 AM WB5JJJ - George <wb5jjj@...> wrote:
In checking, I found over 300 files in the folder.  Deleted all but config.sqlite.  

Win10Pro updated
Windows Security (default)

Seems like an error dialog should be displayed if the files can't be deleted.  
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

I had some 40 files accumulated in the two weeks since I've been
back on the air (finally got an antenna up). Deleted all except
config.sqlite and the last three days of dated back-ups.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-03-02 1:47 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
I just checked that folder here, and there were 175 files in it. Deleted all but the one cautioned about.
73, N0AN
Hasan
On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 8:37 AM WB5JJJ - George <wb5jjj@gmail.com <mailto:wb5jjj@gmail.com>> wrote:
In checking, I found over 300 files in the folder.  Deleted all but
config.sqlite.
Win10Pro updated
Windows Security (default)
Seems like an error dialog should be displayed if the files can't be
deleted.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969


Tim N3XX
 

I deleted a lot of them here also. The oldest dated file was from August 2020, so I guess something happened around that time that broke the automatic file deletions.

73,
Tim - N3XX

On 2021-03-02 1:47 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
I just checked that folder here, and there were 175 files in it. Deleted all but the one cautioned about.
73, N0AN
Hasan
On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 8:37 AM WB5JJJ - George <wb5jjj@gmail.com <mailto:wb5jjj@gmail.com>> wrote:
In checking, I found over 300 files in the folder.  Deleted all but
config.sqlite.
Win10Pro updated
Windows Security (default)
Seems like an error dialog should be displayed if the files can't be
deleted.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969


Roger- AC6BW
 

Same here. The oldest file was dated Aug 23, 2020. And I don't have any protection SW that is interfering with anything.


On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 05:08 PM, Tim N3XX wrote:
I deleted a lot of them here also. The oldest dated file was from
August 2020, so I guess something happened around that time that broke
the automatic file deletions.

73,
Tim - N3XX

On 2021-03-02 1:47 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
I just checked that folder here, and there were 175 files in it. Deleted
all but the one cautioned about.
73, N0AN
Hasan


On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 8:37 AM WB5JJJ - George <wb5jjj@...
<mailto:wb5jjj@...>> wrote:

In checking, I found over 300 files in the folder.  Deleted all but
config.sqlite.

Win10Pro updated
Windows Security (default)

Seems like an error dialog should be displayed if the files can't be
deleted.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969


 
--
73,
Roger
AC6BW


Jim W
 

Same here, oldest was from August 2020. I deleted them on Tuesday, except for the last 5. I went in this morning and there are 12 folders. I deleted all except the last 5.

 

73s

 

Jim

VA3XOV

 

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger M via groups.io
Sent: March 3, 2021 12:11 PM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Dozens of WSJT-X config files

 

Same here. The oldest file was dated Aug 23, 2020. And I don't have any protection SW that is interfering with anything.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 05:08 PM, Tim N3XX wrote:

I deleted a lot of them here also. The oldest dated file was from
August 2020, so I guess something happened around that time that broke
the automatic file deletions.

73,
Tim - N3XX

On 2021-03-02 1:47 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:

I just checked that folder here, and there were 175 files in it. Deleted
all but the one cautioned about.
73, N0AN
Hasan


On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 8:37 AM WB5JJJ - George <wb5jjj@...
<mailto:wb5jjj@...
>> wrote:

In checking, I found over 300 files in the folder.  Deleted all but
config.sqlite.

Win10Pro updated
Windows Security (default)

Seems like an error dialog should be displayed if the files can't be
deleted.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969


 
--
73,
Roger
AC6BW


Bob, KA2TQV
 

And I had 529 of them, going back to Aug 2020. So, something is clearly not working according to spec. Some configuration change I can make?

Bob, KA2TQV


Andrew; KF6LU
 

Found 406 files. As with others, my dates go back to August 22, 2020


Bob, KA2TQV
 

Interesting that for at least three of us the files started to accumulate beginning Aug 2020.

Bob, KA2TQV


Jim N6VH
 


On 3/3/2021 12:03 PM, Bob K via groups.io wrote:
Interesting that for at least three of us the files started to accumulate beginning Aug 2020.

Bob, KA2TQV
_._,_._,_


In my case, I have one from 2016. The only others (a total of 8, not counting the current one) only go back to Feb 25. I don't know what is different in our setups, but I am not seeing a large number of those files.

73,

Jim N6VH


HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 4/03/2021 6:05 am, Andrew Buza; KF6LU wrote:
Found 406 files. As with others, my dates go back to August 22, 2020

A number of reports of old backup config files not being automatically removed with files dated from August 2020 suggests the JTAlert release made at that time is the likely cause. 2.16.11 was released on 12-Aug-2020. It was a significant release in that it introduced multicast UDP for the first time. Since the old JTAlert AutoIT code does not natively support multicast UDP, a middle-man was coded, JTAlertV2.Manager.exe. This new code replaced the old no-longer-fit-for-purpose plugin system which was also AutoIT coded.

I suspect a permissions issue, or PC protection software interference my be the cause. The config.sqlite file and all the backups of same are created & modified by the main JTAlert process (JTAlert.exe), but the automatic removal of old files is handled by the new JTAlertV2.Manager.exe. Looking at the code, I can't see anything unusual, it is basic stuff, enumerate the files in the config directory, check the last modification date or each file and deleting any that exceed the 7 day threshold.

Either a permissions issue between the two processes, JTAlert.exe and JTAlertV2.Manager.exe or more likely PC protection software preventing the Manager process from deleting files it did not create or modify.

I have added additional debug statements to the cleanup code for the next release. That may shed some light on why this is happening for some users.

de Laurie VK3AMA


HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 3/03/2021 6:16 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
I had some 40 files accumulated in the two weeks since I've been
back on the air (finally got an antenna up).  Deleted all except
config.sqlite and the last three days of dated back-ups.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Joe,

If you don't mind, please let the backup files accumulate until they are older than 9 days. Then once JTAlert has been running for at least 5 minutes after a restart (to give time for the cleanup code to kick-in) send me a support request. After sending the support request you can delete the old files. Some debug data is being captured if there is an error, but with where it is in the code it will not be triggered until old files are found and the delete is actioned, thus the need to wait for an accumulation of old files.

Thanks.
de Laurie VK3AMA


Laurie, VK3AMA
 

On 4/03/2021 7:15 am, Jim N6VH wrote:
(a total of 8, not counting the current one) only go back to Feb 25. I don't know what is different in our setups
I know a difference. You like myself are running an unreleased experimental version of JTAlert, while the others reporting old file accumulation are running the public release.

The differences in the two releases is that the file responsible for removing the old files, JTAlertV2.Manager.exe has changed. The public release uses the .NET Framework 4.7.2 or later, while the experimental release uses .NET CORE 5.0 or later. That is the only difference I can see. The actual code for identifying the old files and removing them is identical for both releases (it was a straight code copy), it is the framework that the Manager is based on being the only difference. Whether this is the cause or just a red-herring we will discover when I finally publish the new JTAlert release.

de Laurie VK3AMA


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Laurie,

Will do. The oldest file is currently config_02210228_0238.sqlite so
it will be mid next week before I can generate the support request
(unless you are looking at the file names and I can generate older
files by coping the oldest file and renaming it to earlier dates).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-03-03 4:45 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 3/03/2021 6:16 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
I had some 40 files accumulated in the two weeks since I've been
back on the air (finally got an antenna up).  Deleted all except
config.sqlite and the last three days of dated back-ups.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV
Joe,
If you don't mind, please let the backup files accumulate until they are older than 9 days. Then once JTAlert has been running for at least 5 minutes after a restart (to give time for the cleanup code to kick-in) send me a support request. After sending the support request you can delete the old files. Some debug data is being captured if there is an error, but with where it is in the code it will not be triggered until old files are found and the delete is actioned, thus the need to wait for an accumulation of old files.
Thanks.
de Laurie VK3AMA


Phil Cooper
 

Hi all,

My curiosity was peaked by this thread, so I have been looking to see if I have multiple config files, but I can't find any.
Maybe that is a good sign, but what path do I look in to check?

73 de Phil GU0SUP


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

C:\Users\<account>\AppData\Local\HamApps\<your call>\config\JTAlertX

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-03-04 8:11 AM, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
Hi all,
My curiosity was peaked by this thread, so I have been looking to see if I have multiple config files, but I can't find any.
Maybe that is a good sign, but what path do I look in to check?
73 de Phil GU0SUP