locked Double Logging Issue


Russ Ravella
 

Hi Laurie,

I believe Dave might have just contacted you about an issue I'm having.  The issue is as follows:

After about 3 weeks away I just fired things up and there were a couple of DXL s/w updates which I installed.  Now, when I complete a WSJT-X QSO and log from JTAlert, I receive several error messages/ notifications as follows:

An error box appears saying:
"No QSOs were uploaded to LoTW",
"no QSOs were processed because some QSOs were duplicates or invalid"

Then a Notepad screen appears titled "LoTWResult.txt" with several lines including:
"Already uploaded QSO surpassed on line 5" and further down,
"Signing aborted.  All QSOs are already uploaded; Aborted", "No records to upload", "Final Status: No QSO written(8)"

Another status box also appears titled "DXKeeper Club Log Upload" which says:
"Upload QSO to Clublog Succeeded: Dupe"

When I click off this later, a second entry for the same QSO is placed in DXKeeper

I checked JTAlert and sure enough there was a newer version which I also installed but it had no effect on the above.  I haven changed any settings in any software, or added or deleted any software since before the issue started.

Dave forwarded a suggestion I think you made that perhaps I had a zombie JTAlert process running with a suggestion I shut down the computer and restart.  I'd actually already done that but I tried it again - no help.  Another thing I tried is shutting down GridTracker which I usually also run via multicast.  I have all its' logging features disabled anyway but I thought I'd try - no help.  The only s/w I have running at this point is: SSDR, DXL. FRStack (which has no logging features), WSJT-X (FT8) and JTAlert.  That's it !  And again, I haven't made any setting changes in any of them.  I'm at a total loss.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

DXL all current
Win10 Pro 20H2
No third party AV
TQSL V2.5.7
WSJT-X V2.3.0
JTAlert V2.16.17


HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 12/03/2021 3:31 pm, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:
The only s/w I have running at this point is: SSDR, DXL. FRStack (which has no logging features), WSJT-X (FT8) and JTAlert.  That's it !  And again, I haven't made any setting changes in any of them.  I'm at a total loss.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

OK, we need to determine if the duplicate logging instruction is coming from JTAlert. Do the following...
  • Enable JTAlert debug recording, via the settings menu.
  • Log a dummy QSO in WSJT-X so that you get the double logging in DXKeeper.
  • Leave JTAlert running for 3 minutes so that it has time to run the capture of your operating environment.
  • Then use the JTAlert "Help" -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis. Include a note of the Callsign logged that produced the double logging and the UTC Time when you logged the QSO.
  • Disable JTAlert debug recording.

Once I get your support request I will be able to identify if JTAlert is the source of the duplicate logging instruction.

de Laurie VK3AMA




Russ Ravella
 

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the help - much appreciated !

Since sending the request for help, I’ve had to travel to attend to a family issue.  I brought my Flex Maestro and computer to attempt to work the problem remotely and amazing, it doesn’t seem to be happening here.  I’m running the same s/w on the same computer as before, just remotely.  It would seem that either running it remotely breaks whatever the double log condition is, it is intermittent or whatever changed has changed back.

If the issue returns when I get back, I’ll excuse these instructions and send you the files.  Thanks again for you help !
Russ KR6W


On Mar 12, 2021, at 2:58 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

On 12/03/2021 3:31 pm, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:
The only s/w I have running at this point is: SSDR, DXL. FRStack (which has no logging features), WSJT-X (FT8) and JTAlert.  That's it !  And again, I haven't made any setting changes in any of them.  I'm at a total loss.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

OK, we need to determine if the duplicate logging instruction is coming from JTAlert. Do the following...
  • Enable JTAlert debug recording, via the settings menu.
  • Log a dummy QSO in WSJT-X so that you get the double logging in DXKeeper.
  • Leave JTAlert running for 3 minutes so that it has time to run the capture of your operating environment.
  • Then use the JTAlert "Help" -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis. Include a note of the Callsign logged that produced the double logging and the UTC Time when you logged the QSO.
  • Disable JTAlert debug recording.

Once I get your support request I will be able to identify if JTAlert is the source of the duplicate logging instruction.

de Laurie VK3AMA





Laurie, VK3AMA
 

On 14/03/2021 3:29 pm, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:
Since sending the request for help, I’ve had to travel to attend to a family issue.  I brought my Flex Maestro and computer to attempt to work the problem remotely and amazing, it doesn’t seem to be happening here.  I’m running the same s/w on the same computer as before, just remotely.  It would seem that either running it remotely breaks whatever the double log condition is, it is intermittent or whatever changed has changed back.

If the issue returns when I get back, I’ll excuse these instructions and send you the files.  Thanks again for you help !
Russ KR6W
Interesting. Sounds like something on your home network may be repeating the TCP instructions that JTAlert is sending to DXKeeper. If that is the case I would expect the problem to resurface once you return home.

de Laurie VK3AMA


Duncan Campbell
 

I found that if I have the JTAlert sending my spots to spot collector AND having JTAlert doing my logging to DXKeeper, I also got the double logging.  I turned off the spot collector dump and it corrected the problem for me.

73 de duncan, KF6ILA


Duncan Campbell
 

I am back home again, and am able to look at my JTAlert settings.
  If I have both "Enable DXLab DXKeeper Logging", under Logging, and DXLab DXKeeper.
AND
 have "Post decoded Callsigns to Spotcollector as local spots", under Applications, DXLab Suite.

checked, I will get double logging when I save a QSO.  Turning off one of these will stop it.
I have the Spotcollector one unchecked and it works fine.

73 de Duncan, KF6ILA

 


HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 16/03/2021 1:43 pm, Duncan Campbell wrote:
I am back home again, and am able to look at my JTAlert settings.
  If I have both "Enable DXLab DXKeeper Logging", under Logging, and DXLab DXKeeper.
AND
 have "Post decoded Callsigns to Spotcollector as local spots", under Applications, DXLab Suite.

checked, I will get double logging when I save a QSO.  Turning off one of these will stop it.
I have the Spotcollector one unchecked and it works fine.

73 de Duncan, KF6ILA

If your getting double logging when SpotCollector is taking spots from JTAlert, that indicates a setting problem within SpotCollector. The spotting instruction cannot be misinterpreted as a logging instruction, the two are totally different, one is a TCPIP instruction while the other is a DDE instruction plus the format of the instructions are totally different.

There is a comprehensive setup document produced by the DXLab author (sorry, I don't have the link) that covers working with JTAlert or WSJT-X directly. I suspect a setting used for direct WSJT-X interaction is the problem.

de Laurie VK3AMA


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

I am back home again, and am able to look at my JTAlert settings.
If I have both "Enable DXLab DXKeeper Logging", under Logging, and DXLab DXKeeper.
AND
have "Post decoded Callsigns to Spotcollector as local spots", under Applications, DXLab Suite.

checked, I will get double logging when I save a QSO. Turning off one of these will stop it.
I have the Spotcollector one unchecked and it works fine.

+ If you're using JT-Alert, then the Enable box in the WSJT-X panel on the "Spot Sources" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration
window should be unchecked.

If your getting double logging when SpotCollector is taking spots from JTAlert, that indicates a setting problem within
SpotCollector. The spotting instruction cannot be misinterpreted as a logging instruction, the two are totally different, one is a
TCPIP instruction while the other is a DDE instruction plus the format of the instructions are totally different.

There is a comprehensive setup document produced by the DXLab author (sorry, I don't have the link) that covers working with
JTAlert or WSJT-X directly.

+ Step-by-step instructions for JT-Alert interoperation with DXLab are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesWithJTAlert

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Russ Ravella
 
Edited

Hi Laurie,

I wanted to follow up on this.  I returned home today and tried this again from here and the double logging started happening again.  Recall it totally stopped double logging while operating remote.  It got me thinking that while I don't remember changing this setting since I got it working, the "loopback thing" was new to me so I checked it's setting in WSJT-X -> Reporting -> Outgoing interfaces: .  It was set to "Loopback 0" but I could have sworn I set it to "Ethernet 2" originally.  The whole idea of "looping back" relative to "double logging" got me thinking ...  So I set it to "Ethernet 2" and nothing logged at all !  Actually pretty good news since I was at least touching something apparently related. So I added "Ethernet 2" to "Loopback 0" and that did it!  No more double logging.  When I checked the setting again, what had originally shown in the WSJT-X drop-down as "Ethernet 2" now shows as "Ethernet_32774". Apparently WSJT-X reset it ?

Anyway, I wanted to forward this in case it's of value to anyone else.  I'll follow up on Dave's reflector too.  Of course I ended up bugging both you and Dave yet the problem was actually a setting in WSJT-X all along.  Makes me appreciate yours and Dave's helps all the more.

Thank You again !
Russ

Windows 10 20H2, current as of today
WSJT-X v2.3.0
JTAlert v2.16.17
DXLab Suite's DXKeeper v16.0.7
Flex 6700
SmartSDR v3.1.12
(connected together by physical Ethernet switch but port forwarded though my router to enable DXLab's Commander to work remotely)

As a note, I have "Post decoded Callsigns to SpotCollector as local spots" enabled (under JTAlert -> Settings -> Manage Settings -> Applications -> DXLab Suite -> SpotCollector) with no problems here.  I depend on those spots in my set-up.