locked Decodes window not always populating

W4WT

Well, it looks like the "friendly name change" is only good until you reboot.  Then it reverts back to its system name.  Thus it doesn't really help much.  I'll just have to remember to change to the correct sound output in JTAlert when I start it up if I've rebooted.

2.16.8 decodes window works fine for me.  Sometimes I get a few seconds start-up delay but other than that it seems fine.

73,

Joe

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 22/06/2020 12:25 pm, W4WT wrote:
Well, it looks like the "friendly name change" is only good until you reboot.  Then it reverts back to its system name.  Thus it doesn't really help much.  I'll just have to remember to change to the correct sound output in JTAlert when I start it up if I've rebooted.

That's not normal. All the sound devices on my Ham PC have had the friendly name changes and they have never changed/reverted after many reboots and Windows updates. Did you update the sound driver by any chance, perhaps that reverted the names.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Same here, Friendly Name Change of Sound Device has stayed over many reboots and updates on 3 different computers,  Win10 Pro.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:00 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 22/06/2020 12:25 pm, W4WT wrote:
Well, it looks like the "friendly name change" is only good until you reboot.  Then it reverts back to its system name.  Thus it doesn't really help much.  I'll just have to remember to change to the correct sound output in JTAlert when I start it up if I've rebooted.

That's not normal. All the sound devices on my Ham PC have had the friendly name changes and they have never changed/reverted after many reboots and Windows updates. Did you update the sound driver by any chance, perhaps that reverted the names.

de Laurie VK3AMA

efortner <efortner@...>

I just added a windows 20 computer and downloaded WJST-X and JT alert and windows synced the two and screwed up everything before I knew what

Was going on. Now trying to get it all fixed my friend WA1AEX help.

Earl, K4KAY

[...]

Sorry for the late reply.  Been working on a project for several days.

I'm not sure why my "friendly name" clears when I reboot the computer but it does every time.  I've tried just adding a word in front of whats there and even changing the complete name to a shorter one and it reverts every time I reboot.  Just to check and make sure I'm doing this like you are, I'm opening the Sound Control Panel, highlighting the default playback sound device, right clicking, selecting properties, and changing the name that appears above the "change icon" button, and clicking OK.

Joe

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 29/06/2020 8:12 am, W4WT wrote:
Just to check and make sure I'm doing this like you are, I'm opening the Sound Control Panel, highlighting the default playback sound device, right clicking, selecting properties, and changing the name that appears above the "change icon" button, and clicking OK.
Yes, that's how I am doing it.

After you change the name, close Control Panel and then open it again, is the friendly name still changed? If so that indicates that something that is run as part of the Windows startup is reverting the changes.

Sorry, I can't offer any concrete suggestions as to a fix.

On 29/06/2020 8:12 am, W4WT wrote:
I'm not sure why my "friendly name" clears when I reboot the computer but it does every time.  I've tried just adding a word in front of whats there and even changing the complete name to a shorter one and it reverts every time I reboot.  Just to check and make sure I'm doing this like you are, I'm opening the Sound Control Panel, highlighting the default playback sound device, right clicking, selecting properties, and changing the name that appears above the "change icon" button, and clicking OK.

Joe

Try one of the 4 methods listed here...
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/128826-rename-sound-input-output-device-windows-10-a.html

de Laurie VK3AMA

W4WT

Well, after an hour playing with sound things, I found that you can not change Voicemeeter Potato names where they will persist over a reboot regardless of the procedure you use.  Some sound devices are able to be renamed and persist but not Voicemeeter.  However, I solved the problem by using a virtual audio cable I had installed that I wasn't using at the moment.  I pointed its output to a spare Voicemeeter Potato hardware input and pointed JTAlert to the cables input.  Works just fine now and persists through a reboot.

Thanks,

Joe W4WT

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 2/07/2020 8:45 am, W4WT wrote:
Well, after an hour playing with sound things, I found that you can not change Voicemeeter Potato names where they will persist over a reboot regardless of the procedure you use.  Some sound devices are able to be renamed and persist but not Voicemeeter.  However, I solved the problem by using a virtual audio cable I had installed that I wasn't using at the moment.  I pointed its output to a spare Voicemeeter Potato hardware input and pointed JTAlert to the cables input.  Works just fine now and persists through a reboot.

Thanks,

Joe W4WT

Thanks for the update Joe. Good yo hear you have a working solution.

de Laurie VK3AMA