Topics

Decodes window not always populating

John Holmes W9ILY

When I launch the decodes window, it does not always populate with incoming calls. I have to close it and reopen several times and then all is OK. On a similar item, in the decodes window, the Canadian provinces that were not confirmed are shown as blue, even though I have not checked the Canadian Provinces option. To stop the blue coloring I needed to choose any mode, any band, uncheck all and save. That removed the erroneous blue coloring.
John W9ILY

W4WT

I have the same problem with the window not populating on startup.  It was happening with 2.16.4 and is happening with 2.16.7.  Refresh doesn't help.  Need to close and re-open and then it populates, as John said.  It's as if the decodes file isn't being loaded before the window is shown.

Joe W4WT

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/06/2020 2:50 am, John Holmes W9ILY wrote:
When I launch the decodes window, it does not always populate with incoming calls. I have to close it and reopen several times and then all is OK. On a similar item, in the decodes window, the Canadian provinces that were not confirmed are shown as blue, even though I have not checked the Canadian Provinces option. To stop the blue coloring I needed to choose any mode, any band, uncheck all and save. That removed the erroneous blue coloring.
John W9ILY

John,

A couple of questions..

  • What startup options do you have for the Decodes display?

  • Are you in the habit of applying a filter to the Decodes display?

On 11/06/2020 5:26 am, Joe Spear wrote:
I have the same problem with the window not populating on startup.  It was happening with 2.16.4 and is happening with 2.16.7.  Refresh doesn't help.  Need to close and re-open and then it populates, as John said.  It's as if the decodes file isn't being loaded before the window is shown.

Joe W4WT

Joe,

Referring to https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/30323 want are your answers to the two questions asked?

de Laurie VK3AMA

WB8ASI Herb

You can toggle it off and on using F9.  I'm using Delete Old Files and filtering out Worked B4.  73 Herb WB8ASI

John Holmes W9ILY

Laurie,
In have "Delete Old Records" checked and I do not use any filters.
Thanks.

John W9ILY

W4WT

Laurie,

I have the startup options set to "delete old records" and I do not apply a filter to the decodes display.

Joe W4WT

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/06/2020 10:27 am, Joe Spear wrote:
I have the startup options set to "delete old records" and I do not apply a filter to the decodes display.

Joe W4WT

Joe,

When you get this non-population at startup what does the "View" message show in the Decodes status-bar? Does it show "0 Recs" or some-other value?

As a test, could you run a couple of JTAlert sessions with the Decodes set to delete all records on startup. Soe sthe window still not populate the new JTAlert decodes?

On 12/06/2020 6:23 am, John Holmes W9ILY wrote:
In have "Delete Old Records" checked and I do not use any filters.
Thanks.

John W9ILY

John,

When you get this non-population at startup what does the "View" message show in the Decodes status-bar? Does it show "0 Recs" or some-other value?

As a test, could you run a couple of JTAlert sessions with the Decodes set to delete all records on startup. Does the window still not populate the new JTAlert decodes?

de Laurie VK3AMA

W4WT

Hi Laruie,

Not sure what is going on now; the decodes window has been coming up properly every time I've tried it (probably 8 times now).  If and when it fails, I'll do the test you asked for.  Still using 2.16.7 with JTDX 2.1.0-rc149.

Joe W4WT

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/06/2020 6:40 am, W4WT wrote:
Not sure what is going on now; the decodes window has been coming up properly every time I've tried it (probably 8 times now).  If and when it fails, I'll do the test you asked for.  Still using 2.16.7 with JTDX 2.1.0-rc149.

Joe W4WT

Tnx Joe.

I'm not sure what was happening, I have some thoughts, but nothing I try can replicate the defect.

de Laurie VK3AMA

W4WT

Hi Laurie,

Well, it failed tonight.  Looking at the status line it shows 0 recs(148kb) View : 0 Recs.

I'll try with "delete all records at startup" and see how that goes.

73,

Joe W4WT

W4WT

Hi Laurie,

Changed option to delete records at startup and so far, it has worked five times straight.  Will continue to watch it.

I have another problem.  It regards sound.  It looks like JTAlert is only looking for so many characters in a sound devices name to select it.  I'm guessing around 31 max.  I have two sound devices with the same name for the first 31 characters.  One is named "VoiceMeeter VAI03 Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO3" and one is named "VoiceMeeter VAI03 Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable".  The correct one for Sound is the first one; not the cable.  I see JTAlert shows only the first 31 characters of the name and I assume that is resulting in it selecting the "cable" rather than the correct sound selection that I tell it to use.

Could you take a look at this?  It causes me to have to re-select the sound device everytime I start JTAlert.

Thanks,

Joe W4WT

g4wjs

On 16/06/2020 03:04, W4WT wrote:
[...]

Hi Joe,

that is probably all Windows offers to the application. Try renaming the sound devices to something shorter and more meaningful to you.

Bill
G4WJS.

W4WT

Bill, I don't have a problem with the meaning of the names of the devices; JTAlert does.  All other software has no problem with the names.

Perhaps you can provide me with the method you use to rename system devices?

Joe W4WT

g4wjs

On 16/06/2020 19:39, W4WT wrote:
Bill, I don't have a problem with the meaning of the names of the devices; JTAlert does.  All other software has no problem with the names.

Perhaps you can provide me with the method you use to rename system devices?

Joe W4WT
Hi Joe,

this may be down to the fact that Windows has multiple audio sub-systems and depending which an application uses effects how they are presented with device names.

I'm sure a google search will find out how to rename audio devices on you operating system version.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/06/2020 4:39 am, W4WT wrote:
I don't have a problem with the meaning of the names of the devices; JTAlert does.  All other software has no problem with the names.

Perhaps you can provide me with the method you use to rename system devices?

Joe W4WT

The truncating of Sound device names is due to old Windows api calls that only return 32 characters max. JTAlert is initially restricted to the truncated names until the JTAlertV2.Manager process is up and running and has enumerated the sound devices on your machine and sent that data back to the main JTAlert process. The Manager code is modern and correctly lists the full name of a sound device. The JTAlert code for sound card enumeration is limited due to the compiler used (that changes with JTAlertV3).

If you wait a couple of seconds after JTAlert startup, you should see the the list of sound devices under the Sound menu will change from truncated names to the full names.

The fix is simple, modify the name of your sound devices via Windows Control panel, Sound entry. Just add a unique identifying character/word to the start of the device name. This does not change the true device name, just the "friendly name" (That's the MS term).

eg.
Initial JTAlert device listing

JTAlert listing after adding the word "Test" to the start of the device friendly name.

Changing the name in Control Panel by clicking the Properties button of the device.

Your two devices that have the same name when truncated to 32 characters can be differentiated by adding a character/word to the start of the name such that any subsequent listings when truncated will present different names to JTAlert.

On 17/06/2020 4:39 am, W4WT wrote:
All other software has no problem with the names.

That's a pretty broad statement. It depends on the software and the computer language used to code the software.

I have 3 different Ham related applications running on my PC that all truncate the sound device names to 32 characters. Common among those applications is that they are mature applications that have been around for many years and use older technology compiler/languages (eg VB6 as an example) to create the application.

Some software authors avoid this by simply restricting the audio to the default Windows playback device (ie no user choice). JTAlert has always offered the flexibility of sound device selection rather than simply restricting playback to the default device.

Currently JTAlert handles long device names by updating the device listing (which is initially restricted to 32 characters) by getting an updated long-name listing from the modern .NET based code of the JTAlertV2.Manager process. It is not ideal, but is all that is available while the main JTAlert program is still coded using an old compiler/language, that wont change until the JTAlertV3 release.

de Laurie VK3AMA

W4WT

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the tip regarding the "friendly name" change.  I knew you couldn't change the real name but hadn't thought of this trick.  Nice!  It worked.

Sorry for the blanket statement. I should not have generalized.  I should have said "None of the other software that I use has a problem with the names as they existed."

Thanks for the great software!

73,

Joe W4WT

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 19/06/2020 5:40 am, W4WT wrote:
Thanks for the tip regarding the "friendly name" change.  I knew you couldn't change the real name but hadn't thought of this trick.  Nice!  It worked.

Sorry for the blanket statement. I should not have generalized.  I should have said "None of the other software that I use has a problem with the names as they existed."

Thanks for the great software!

73,

Joe W4WT

Tnx Joe,