Topics

Decoded call signs not showing in JTAlert

Frode Igland

I was asked yesterday by a friend to help him get the decoded callsigns to show in JTAlert again, like they have been since he started to use JTAlert a long while ago until a couple of days ago. He is running WSJT-X 2.1.0 and JTAlert 2.14.3 and HRD 6.6.0.237. Logging from WSJT-X to HRD Logbook ran smoothly, so obviously WSJT-X broadcast were working as it should.  As no call signs appeared in JTAlert, we thought the port numbers in WSJT-X and JTAlert might not comply, but they were all correct. We made a fresh install of JTAlert, to no avail. We kept trying other approaches, but made no progress. After all of this, we noticed that a vertical roller field had appeared to the left of the JTAlert call sign fields. We clicked the arrow on top of the roller field, but still no call signs to see. We then changed the number of call sign display lines from 3 to 2 lines, and suddenly the decoded call signs appeared, with everything working as normal. The roller field disappeared, not to be seen again. From WSJT-X we saw that there were certainly enough stations decoded that they would fill more than one or two lines.

I really have no idea why the number of displayed call sign lines made the call signs disappear, and why the change from 3 to 2 display lines made them appear again. Nor do I know if this is a bug, or if it was something we should know. I've never experienced vanished call signs in JTAlert before, nor has my friend. Our experience with JTAlert has been pretty close to flawless. I just thought I'd let the Laurie and the user group know, and maybe someone can offer an explanation or get a hint to search for any possible issue.

Frode LA6VQ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/09/2019 12:32 am, Frode Igland wrote:
[...]

Frode,

Like you, I have no idea why changing the number of display lines appeared to correct the non-display of callsigns. I am unable to reproduce that effect here in testing. I typically run with 2 callsign lines and have never seen this effect.

While you were testing, did you also play with the JTAlert Alert Filter settings? The only way I can reproduce the non-display of Callsigns is to set one of the QSL Filters (eQSL, LoTW) and not have the HamApps Callsign database installed. It is that database that provides JTAlert with the QSL membership status of each decoded callsign and without the data JTAlert treats each callsign has having no QSL service membership causing the callsign to not pass an active LoTW or eQSL filter.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Frode Igland

Laurie,
We did indeed install the call sign database for the first time on the new computer, but the "no-shows" still didn't show. I am not aware that we made any filter settings that would exclude all call signs after installing the database. My friend is an LoTW user and has the visual flags set to show LoTW users among the decoded signals (mark in upper left corner), but there is no filter set that would exclude any or all call signs. In any case I would believe that no matter which filter setting was in use, there would be some signals over one hour or more that would meet the filter criteria and appear in the decoded fields. Only when we changed to two lines of decoded call signs, the decoded call signs appeared.

I still have no idea what happened, but you can store it at the back of the head if something similar  should show up from others.

No matter what, many thanks for the work you do to improve the user friendliness of the weak signal mode softwares.

73 Frode LA6VQ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/09/2019 6:05 pm, Frode Igland wrote:
[...]

OK, it does sound lime an error condition in the code. Unfortunately until I can identify a possible cause and reproduce in testing this will likely go uncorrected.

Since all is now working for you, it is very unlikely to re-occur considering that of the many thousands of JTAlert users, yours is the first report of this behaviour. If you encounter this again, please let me know.

de Laurie VK3AMA