Topics

Decode history

Jim Cooper
 

is there a future possibility
that we'll be able to SORT
by columns in the Decode History
window? especially the DB column!

jim w2jc

Michael Black
 

I'm curious why you would want to?  Time period seems so much more important I think Laurie never considered one might want to sort by something else.
So you have a strong signal from 10 minutes ago....what good does that do you?  What are you wanting to achieve?

de Mike W9MDB




On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 11:41:24 AM CDT, Jim Cooper <JTalert@...> wrote:


is there a future possibility
that we'll be able to SORT
by columns in the Decode History
window?  especially the DB column!

jim  w2jc





Jim Cooper
 

It would let me spot the signals that are or have recently
been strong and more likely to hear me ... and put the -15db
to -25db ones at the bottom since they would NEVER hear
me with my puny 40/60w signal .. if they were strong 10
mins ago, they will probably be strong now as well and will
float to the top of the list, if sorted. Without that, we get
about 3 to 5 seconds to try to scan the decode list before
they vanish ... and if scanning the JTalert display, they
don't come on until a second or so after decode finishes.

By 'time period' do you mean the 'Time' column?
It appears that column sorts automatically, with no option.

btw, I can see that sorting by Grid or by Zone (for example)
could be very useful for hunters of those items, as it would
display all stations from those desired selections that are
on the air (or were, recently) and thus those to be on the
lookout for ....

Being able to sort the SP bearing column would display all
the stations to which your beam is currently pointed, in a
group ... I believe N1MM+ in one of its sub-windows offers
that feature specifically for that reason.

btw, Mike, it's nice to see and work you now and then
on the bands !!

On 13 Aug 2019 at 16:47, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:

I'm curious why you would want to?  Time period seems so much more
important I think Laurie never considered one might want to sort by
something else.So you have a strong signal from 10 minutes
ago....what good does that do you?  What are you wanting to
achieve?
de Mike W9MDB



On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 11:41:24 AM CDT, Jim Cooper
<JTalert@...> wrote:

is there a future possibility
that we'll be able to SORT
by columns in the Decode History
window?  especially the DB column!

jim  w2jc









Michael Black
 

I think you're worrying about signal level too much.  You have no idea how they see you until you get a signal report.

The only ones I ever have a problem with are those on the borderline of detectability but I still work about 80% of them or so.

Propagation has been flaky enough to cause ones with strong signal to suddenly disappear.  What I do is try to work the weak ones first on the premise that they are harder to get in general....then the strong ones.

de Mike W9MDB





On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 12:31:46 PM CDT, Jim Cooper <JTalert@...> wrote:


It would let me spot the signals that are or have recently
been strong and more likely to hear me ...  and put the -15db
to -25db ones at the bottom since they would NEVER hear
me with my puny 40/60w signal ..  if they were strong 10
mins ago, they will probably be strong now as well and will
float to the top of the list, if sorted.  Without that, we get
about 3 to 5 seconds to try to scan the decode list before
they vanish ... and if scanning the JTalert display, they
don't come on until a second or so after decode finishes.

By 'time period' do you mean the 'Time' column?
It appears that column sorts automatically, with no option.

btw, I can see that sorting by Grid or by Zone (for example)
could be very useful for hunters of those items, as it would
display all stations from those desired selections that are
on the air (or were, recently) and thus those to be on the
lookout for ....

Being able to sort the SP bearing column would display all
the stations to which your beam is currently pointed, in a
group ...  I believe N1MM+ in one of its sub-windows offers
that feature specifically for that reason.

btw, Mike, it's nice to see and work you now and then
on the bands !!

On 13 Aug 2019 at 16:47, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:

> I'm curious why you would want to?  Time period seems so much more
> important I think Laurie never considered one might want to sort by
> something else.So you have a strong signal from 10 minutes
> ago....what good does that do you?  What are you wanting to
> achieve?
> de Mike W9MDB
>
>
>
>    On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 11:41:24 AM CDT, Jim Cooper
> <JTalert@...> wrote:
>
>  is there a future possibility
> that we'll be able to SORT
> by columns in the Decode History
> window?  especially the DB column!
>
> jim  w2jc
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>




Cliff
 

I am going to add my two cents worth. I only run 50-55 watts and have lost
track of how many times that I have gotten a -24 signal report back from the
station I am working. So don't think that running a lower power that nobody
will hear you, it might just surprise you who does. I have work stations all
over the world with what I am using.

Cliff
AB1WG

-----Original Message-----
From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim
Cooper
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:32 PM
To: Michael Black via Groups.Io <mdblack98@...>
Cc: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Decode history

It would let me spot the signals that are or have recently been strong and
more likely to hear me ... and put the -15db to -25db ones at the bottom
since they would NEVER hear
me with my puny 40/60w signal .. if they were strong 10
mins ago, they will probably be strong now as well and will float to the top
of the list, if sorted. Without that, we get about 3 to 5 seconds to try to
scan the decode list before they vanish ... and if scanning the JTalert
display, they don't come on until a second or so after decode finishes.

By 'time period' do you mean the 'Time' column?
It appears that column sorts automatically, with no option.

btw, I can see that sorting by Grid or by Zone (for example) could be very
useful for hunters of those items, as it would display all stations from
those desired selections that are on the air (or were, recently) and thus
those to be on the lookout for ....

Being able to sort the SP bearing column would display all the stations to
which your beam is currently pointed, in a group ... I believe N1MM+ in one
of its sub-windows offers that feature specifically for that reason.

btw, Mike, it's nice to see and work you now and then on the bands !!

On 13 Aug 2019 at 16:47, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:

I'm curious why you would want to?  Time period seems so much more
important I think Laurie never considered one might want to sort by
something else.So you have a strong signal from 10 minutes ago....what
good does that do you?  What are you wanting to achieve?
de Mike W9MDB



On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 11:41:24 AM CDT, Jim Cooper
<JTalert@...> wrote:

is there a future possibility
that we'll be able to SORT
by columns in the Decode History
window?  especially the DB column!

jim  w2jc









Jim Cooper
 

well and good Michael ... we each have our own ways
of coping with making QSOs ... but your way shouldn't
over-ride anyone else's ...

I inquired about the possibility of having the columns
sortable ... not JUST the DB column, but I used that
as an example ... the feature could be useful to many
different operating techniques ...

so far, I've not seen a response from the one person
who will make the decision ... Laurie ... I'm just
inquiring if it is feasible (obviously, it is) and if it is
being considered for the future.

Personally, I would find many uses for the feature.

On 13 Aug 2019 at 18:24, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:

I think you're worrying about signal level too much.  You have no
idea how they see you until you get a signal report.
The only ones I ever have a problem with are those on the borderline
of detectability but I still work about 80% of them or so.
Propagation has been flaky enough to cause ones with strong signal
to suddenly disappear.  What I do is try to work the weak ones
first on the premise that they are harder to get in general....then
the strong ones.
de Mike W9MDB




On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 12:31:46 PM CDT, Jim Cooper
<JTalert@...> wrote:

It would let me spot the signals that are or have recently
been strong and more likely to hear me ...  and put the -15db
to -25db ones at the bottom since they would NEVER hear
me with my puny 40/60w signal ..  if they were strong 10
mins ago, they will probably be strong now as well and will
float to the top of the list, if sorted.  Without that, we get
about 3 to 5 seconds to try to scan the decode list before
they vanish ... and if scanning the JTalert display, they
don't come on until a second or so after decode finishes.

By 'time period' do you mean the 'Time' column?
It appears that column sorts automatically, with no option.

btw, I can see that sorting by Grid or by Zone (for example)
could be very useful for hunters of those items, as it would
display all stations from those desired selections that are
on the air (or were, recently) and thus those to be on the
lookout for ....

Being able to sort the SP bearing column would display all
the stations to which your beam is currently pointed, in a
group ...  I believe N1MM+ in one of its sub-windows offers
that feature specifically for that reason.

btw, Mike, it's nice to see and work you now and then
on the bands !!

On 13 Aug 2019 at 16:47, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:

I'm curious why you would want to?  Time period seems so much
more
important I think Laurie never considered one might want to sort
by
something else.So you have a strong signal from 10 minutes
ago....what good does that do you?  What are you wanting to
achieve?
de Mike W9MDB



    On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 11:41:24 AM CDT, Jim Cooper
<JTalert@...> wrote:

  is there a future possibility
that we'll be able to SORT
by columns in the Decode History
window?  especially the DB column!

jim  w2jc
















HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 14/08/2019 5:12 am, Jim Cooper wrote:
so far, I've not seen a response from the one person
who will make the decision ...  Laurie
I'll respond in full at a later time.

Please remember we all live in different time-zones. Your first message in this thread hit my inbox @ 2:41 am local, your message to which I am replying arrived @ 4:24 am. I tend to be asleep at those times. It has just gone 6:00am as I prepare my first cup of coffee as I get ready to head off to work.

de Laurie VK3AMA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 14/08/2019 2:41 am, Jim Cooper wrote:
is there a future possibility 
that we'll be able to SORT 
by columns in the Decode History 
window?  especially the DB column! 

jim  w2jc
Jim,

I am really struggling to find a use case for sorting the DB column (or any of the other columns, Dxcc, Zones, Grid, Continents, etc).

Once you sort a column, lest say DB, you overwhelming the display with potentially very old decodes from all the +17db locals you decoded earlier in the day (when propagation was different or you were on a different band).

The better option than DB sorting would be filtering the display to exclude decodes that didn't meet a certain DB threshold (this feature currently does not exist). This way you would be seeing current decodes that meet your requirements, rather than very likely much older irrelevant decodes. A DB threshold filter could be set to either exclude DB values exceeding a set value (for chasing the weak ones) or exclude DB values that are below a minimum you set (if you want to take the easy route and work the string locals).

de Laurie VK3AMA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 14/08/2019 5:12 am, Jim Cooper wrote:
I inquired about the possibility of having the columns
sortable ...  not JUST the DB column, but I used that
as an example ...  the feature could be useful to many
different operating techniques ...
Jim,

I am really struggling to find a use case for sorting the DB column, or any of the other columns, Dxcc, Zones, Grid, Continents, etc.

While I might not use a specific feature of JTAlert requested by a user, I am happy to implement if there is merit to the feature and likely to find use amongst other users.

"The ball is in your court", convince me of the usefulness of column sorting, give me some real world examples where this would be useful.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim Cooper
 

On 14 Aug 2019 at 9:46, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

> The better option than DB sorting
> would be filtering the display to
> exclude decodes that didn't meet a
> certain DB threshold (this feature
> currently does not exist). This way
> you would be seeing current decodes
> that meet your requirements, rather
> than very likely much older
> irrelevant decodes. A DB threshold
> filter could be set to either exclude
> DB values exceeding a set value (for
> chasing the weak ones) or exclude DB
> values that are below a minimum you
> set (if you want to take the easy
> route and work the string locals).

I agree ...  this was my original thought,
but I figured programming that would be
a bit harder than just sorting the columns...

In fact, you almost have that already since
it flags DB levels below a threshold ...  I've
been using that in lieu of the other ideas.

Since I seem unable to convince either you
or Mike of my great ideas, I'll be quiet now
and just keep wishing.    ;))

> "The ball is in your court", convince me
> of the usefulness of column sorting,
> give me some real world examples where
> this would be useful.

I thought I had done that in an earlier posting:

On 13 Aug 2019 at 15:12, Jim Cooper wrote:

> > btw, I can see that sorting by Grid or by Zone (for example)
> > could be very useful for hunters of those items, as it would
> > display all stations from those desired selections that are
> > on the air (or were, recently) and thus those to be on the
> > lookout for ....
> >
> > Being able to sort the SP bearing column would display all
> > the stations to which your beam is currently pointed, in a
> > group ...  I believe N1MM+ in one of its sub-windows offers
> > that feature specifically for that reason.

As for "a lot of old decodes showing up" I see that
the 'maximum displayed' can be set as low as 100 ...
that's what I use and that covers a time of only about
14 minutes (judging from the display I have for a
moderately busy 20 meter decoding).

btw, I very much like that we can 'hide' selected
columns, as well as move them around. Nice touch.

w2jc


  

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 14/08/2019 9:52 am, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) via Groups.Io wrote:
On 14/08/2019 5:12 am, Jim Cooper wrote:
I inquired about the possibility of having the columns
sortable ...  not JUST the DB column, but I used that
as an example ...  the feature could be useful to many
different operating techniques ...
Jim,

I am really struggling to find a use case for sorting the DB column, or any of the other columns, Dxcc, Zones, Grid, Continents, etc.

While I might not use a specific feature of JTAlert requested by a user, I am happy to implement if there is merit to the feature and likely to find use amongst other users.

"The ball is in your court", convince me of the usefulness of column sorting, give me some real world examples where this would be useful.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim,

I'm still waiting to be convinced of the merits of Column Sorting in the Decodes History. Do you have a use case that benefits from column sorting? I await your email.

de Laurie VK3AMA