locked Config nightmares: FT8, JTAlert, Log4OM #FT8 #JTDX

Peter Klein - KD7MW

Is there a way to configure JTAlert so it only monitors the received stream from JTDX or WSJT-X, but doesn't act as a go-between program between the FT8 program and Log4OM?

I'm asking because this "A thing on top of a thing, on top of another thing" multiple program configuration thing is getting frustrating.  :-)  Two programs, reasonably easy. Three programs handing off several functions to each other on multiple ports ...  not so easy when it breaks. Like the old Abbott and Costello routine, "Who's on first?"

Background:  When I started using FT8 four years ago, I ran WSJT-X with my logger, Log4OM. Then I found out about JTAlert, which made operating and logging much easier. I didn't care about JTAlert's DX cluster notifications and alarms. But I loved the clear presentation of received callsigns, Worked Before status and US States. The configuration was quite a bit more complex, but OK.

Then I tried JTDX, and liked it very much. So that's what I mostly use now. Using the Log4OM manual, I created a configuration that worked well with either WSJT-X or JTDX. It also allowed me to quickly switch to FLDigi if I heard an Olivia signal (or other conversational mode), without having to close and restart Log4OM with a new configuration.

The trouble was, it seems like every other time I upgraded one of the three programs, my configuration broke and I had to start over. After the latest JTDX upgrade, I got sufficiently frustrated that I uninstalled JTAlert and set things up so WSJT-X and JTDX interact directly with Log4OM. That's easy, and easy to troubleshoot if anything breaks.  But of course, I miss the JTAlert display, and the display of US callsigns with their States.

So I was wondering, is there a way for JTAlert interact only with the running FT8 program, reading and displaying the callsigns received, but not acting as a link in the chain between FT8 program and Log4OM?  That way, if something breaks, I would know exactly where to go to fix it. Ideally, JTAlert would still load wsjtx_log.adi from the FT8 program to see who I'd worked before.

Thanks!
--Peter, KD7MW

Dave Garber

must be something in how your settings are,  I run wsjt/jtalert/log4om with no issue, then If I switch to fldigi, which uses a different udp/ip port to log4om, I can still run wsjt if I need to.

did you change the port in fldigi to 2237??    dont

it will cause clashes with wsjt, etc

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 12:37 AM Peter Klein - KD7MW <boulanger.croissant@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks. No, Fldigi is set to its default port, which is nowhere near 2237. That's not the problem.