locked Changed computers, now need to update the B4 logs for WSJTX and JTAlert

Bill South

I am sure this is not a new question, but couldn't easily find the answer in this group so asking here.  I had to switch to a new computer in the shack and of course both WSJTX and JTAlert are new installs.  In a nut shell, how do I get the various logs related to WSJTX and JTAlert updated on the new computer.like the B4 logs and such.  I use N3FJP for logging and have manually updated that app with the previously worked calls, just need all the B4 info in both WSJTX and JTAlert to get updated.  I use this for contest logging only, not casual logging, so not a lot of old calls to bring over, I could certainly manually update the B4 logs on the new computer if that is an option instead of downloading a config or log file...is that possible to do in these database files?  Thanks.

73, Bil, N4SV

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/01/2022 2:31 am, Bill South via groups.io wrote:
I am sure this is not a new question, but couldn't easily find the answer in this group so asking here.  I had to switch to a new computer in the shack and of course both WSJTX and JTAlert are new installs.  In a nut shell, how do I get the various logs related to WSJTX and JTAlert updated on the new computer.like the B4 logs and such.  I use N3FJP for logging and have manually updated that app with the previously worked calls, just need all the B4 info in both WSJTX and JTAlert to get updated.  I use this for contest logging only, not casual logging, so not a lot of old calls to bring over, I could certainly manually update the B4 logs on the new computer if that is an option instead of downloading a config or log file...is that possible to do in these database files?  Thanks.

73, Bil, N4SV

If you have a logger enabled in JTAlert than there is nothing you need to do with respect to the B4 checks as they are automatically done against your logger. If you don't have a Logger enabled than you will need to bring across the old B4 database file. The Help file contains a topic on migrating JTAlert to a new PC. See  "Frequently Asked Questions" topic, "Move JTAlert to a New PC" entry.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill South

Well I guess something is not working as designed because I am not seeing those previously worked stations I manually entered in my logging program (N3FJP VHF Contest log program)...new calls are logged to this program fine and do show up as B4, but anything I added manually in the logging program do not show as B4. I'll check the FAQ for JTAlert. I confess I do not understand entirely the relationship between WSJTX and JTAlert, and which program controls what. The colors seen, the B4 status, the CQ station's color, most a mystery to me. But I have never used WSJTX without JTAlert so I can't imagine how WSJTX looks by itself. JTAlert is a great program add on...although I can't say I like the look of the latest 2.50.9 with the newer look and separated windows...I guess I am just so used to the old 2.16.17 version...old dog new tricks I guess, HI. I'll get used to it I am sure. Thanks.

73, Bill, N4SV

On 18/01/2022 5:07 am, Bill South via groups.io wrote:
[...]

So its manually logged callsigns that are not being shown as B4s in JTAlert. Are these QSOs manually logged while JTAlert is running? If so that is the cause.

JTAlert when it first decodes a callsign it does a B4 lookup of the log file and caches the result in memory, from then on (for the life of the JTAlert session) will use that memory cached result every time a callsign is decoded.. This is orders of magnitude faster than slow disk-based log lookups. If you manually log a previously decoded callsign, JTAlert will never know and will continue to report that now manually logged callsign as not a B4.

Does the above describe the situation?

You should not be manually logging QSOs while JTAlert is running as it will never know of those logged QSOs until it has been restarted and finds them on the next log based B4 check as the memory cache starts out empty.

If you insist on manually logging QSOs while JTAlert is running, then use the "Alerts -> Clear B4 Cache" menu (near the top) after each manual logging.

Please be aware this can cause a significant effect on JTAlert performance if on a very busy band when there are many decodes per period being processed as each decode will result in a slow disk-based log B4 check until the B4 cache is repopulated.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/01/2022 12:37 pm, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) via groups.io wrote:
So its manually logged callsigns that are not being shown as B4s in JTAlert.

Something else to check, what is the mode recorded for these manually logged QSOs. ACLog has a habit of logging the wrong mode if you're not careful.

JTAlert B4 checks are by default mode specific.

de Laurie VK3AMA