locked Callsigns window settings not saved

Gary W9TD

Every time I update JTALERT, and most if not all times I exit the program, the callsigns window settings are not saved and I need to re-enter all of them, including the window size when I resatrt the program. Why aren't these persistent?
Gary
W9TD

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 28/09/2022 5:52 am, Gary W9TD wrote:
Every time I update JTALERT, and most if not all times I exit the program, the callsigns window settings are not saved and I need to re-enter all of them, including the window size when I resatrt the program. Why aren't these persistent?
Gary
W9TD

The settings should be persistent.

Does this only occur after a JTAlert update or does it happen every time you start a JTAlert session?

Try shutting down JTAlert and renaming C:\Users\[username]\Appdata\Local\HamApps

When you start it will be a new config and you can test it.  Could be a corrupt file or you ran it as admin some time ago and permissions are wrong.

Mike W9MDB

On 28/09/2022 6:19 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Try shutting down JTAlert and renaming C:\Users\[username]\Appdata\Local\HamApps

Mike W9MDB

NO, VERY BAD IDEA! That is way too destructive. That will blow away all JTAlert settings.
The user will need then to reconfigure all their alerting and logging settings.  Only a single file is needed to reset the Callsigns window. %localappdata%\HamApps\JTAlert\<YOUR_CALLSIGN>\Config\Callsigns_1.config

Only the Callsigns_1.config needs to be deleted to reset the Callsigns window.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Pat N6PAT

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 01:16 PM, Gary W9TD wrote:
Every time I update JTALERT, and most if not all times I exit the program, the callsigns window settings are not saved and I need to re-enter all of them, including the window size when I resatrt the program. Why aren't these persistent?
Gary
W9TD
Are you by any chance running multiple sessions of JTAlert when you are changing the settings?

Tom Job

Hi all....

Same problem here when the program is shut down completely and then restarted.  Not a huge deal but a PITA to reset all of the menu items.  It started this behaviour with the last update.  I didn't notice cuz I rarely shutdown the computer/program.

Using Windows 8.1, all updated, NOT running multiple instances, latest version of JTAlert and WSJT-X.

My two cents worth...

Tom VE3II
ve3ii@...
Mobile: 705-791-0048

On 2022-09-27 15:52, Gary W9TD wrote:
Every time I update JTALERT, and most if not all times I exit the program, the callsigns window settings are not saved and I need to re-enter all of them, including the window size when I resatrt the program. Why aren't these persistent?
Gary
W9TD

Did you try Laurie's solution?

On 28/09/2022 7:59 am, Tom Job wrote:
Same problem here when the program is shut down completely and then restarted.  Not a huge deal but a PITA to reset all of the menu items.  It started this behaviour with the last update.  I didn't notice cuz I rarely shutdown the computer/program.

Using Windows 8.1, all updated, NOT running multiple instances, latest version of JTAlert and WSJT-X.

My two cents worth...

Tom VE3II

How are you shutting down JTAlert? Are you manually closing the main JTAlert window or using some other mechanism that may not being closing JTAlert gracefully but instead force killing JTAlert?

The Callsigns window Settings are automatically saved when the window is closed either by closing the window or when JTAlert is closed.

Try the following...

  1. Open the Callsigns window.
  2. Set the Callsigns window to how you want.
  3. Close the Callsigns window (use the big red "X" top-right is fine).
  4. Open the Callsigns window.
  5. Has the Callsigns window remembered the previously set options (from step 2.)?

If the Callsigns window settings are remembered following the above steps, than they should be remembered following a JTAlert restart. If they are not that suggests that the reading of the Callsigns window config file is being interfered with during JTAlert startup.

Let me know what you observe.

de Laurie VK3AMA

kiyo

Hi  Gary,

I feel the same as what I posted in #40399.
See #40399. I was doing what I wrote there, but after that, the HD broke down, so I decided to use an SSD instead of the HD.
After I replaced it with an SSD, the problem never happened again.
Unfortunately I don't know the cause.

--
Kiyo
JA9HWD

2022年9月28日(水) 5:16 Gary W9TD <w9td@...>:

Every time I update JTALERT, and most if not all times I exit the program, the callsigns window settings are not saved and I need to re-enter all of them, including the window size when I resatrt the program. Why aren't these persistent?
Gary
W9TD

Tom Job

Hi Laurie...

I'm closing JTAlert by using the X on the top-right corner of the main screen.

I did as you suggested and it restarted just fine.  I'll keep an eye on it and report if it does it again.

73 and cheers...

Tom VE3II
ve3ii@...
Mobile: 705-791-0048

On 2022-09-27 18:51, JTAlert Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
[...]

No, only rarely when starting JTALERT, but seems every time I update.
Gary

Gary W9TD

Not running multiple sessions. When I close the Callsigns window and reopen it has saved the settings. I usually close JTALERT by the red X in the main window, not each window individually.
Gary
W9TD