Topics

locked Callsigns get cleared before I can see them

John Peck

I am running current versions of WSJT and JTAlert. My issue is that JTAlert clears the callsigns before I can click on them or even read them! To make it more frustrating, the nice lady announces that there is a station there that I am looking for, but then I can't access it!

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Jim Cooper

On 16 Nov 2020 at 14:13, John Peck wrote:

I am running current versions of
WSJT and JTAlert. My issue is that
JTAlert clears the callsigns before
I can click on them or even read them!
To make it more frustrating, the
nice lady announces that there is a
station there that I am looking for,
but then I can't access it!

Am I missing a setting somewhere?
use the "Decodes" window ... it keeps
a history of all the decoded stations.

JTalert can't display the calls until WSJT-X
has completed the decode process and passed
the calls to JTalert via UDP ... if your cpu is
loaded or 'slow' then it will eat up the time
for display before the next cycle.

fwiw, I had similar problems with a cheap
$100 win10 desktop that I was using ... it seemed
to do everything ok EXCEPT the cpu would get
maxed at times and the decodes would be slow;
not to mention that I could watch the waterfall
and see the decode 'pause' at times when the
cpu didn't quite keep up with the incoming audio .....

Moved my FT8 stuff to a much 'better' PC and
now there are no dropouts and no decode or
display delays ... it DOES make a difference.

Jim w2jc

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/11/2020 9:13 am, John Peck wrote:
I am running current versions of WSJT and JTAlert. My issue is that JTAlert clears the callsigns before I can click on them or even read them! To make it more frustrating, the nice lady announces that there is a station there that I am looking for, but then I can't access it!

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

What versions of WSJT-X and JTAlert? Quote the actual numbers, "current versions", tells me nothing.

de Laurie VK3AMA

AB8WD-Willie

screenshot shows how to delay screen closure on jtalert

John Peck

Jim, Not sure what you mean by the "decodes" window. And I have a reasonably fast computer.

John KC4LZN

I have to agree with John.

I'm running 2.16.1 and WSJT-X (Ver 2.2.2) goes through what appears a second sweep checking for missing signals and when it finds them, it posts them and JTAlert seems to clears the first sweep and posts the results of the second sweep.

Make sense?

73
John
KC4LZN

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 20:56 John Peck <Johnpeck@...> wrote:
Jim, Not sure what you mean by the "decodes" window. And I have a reasonably fast computer.

John Peck

Laurie, thanks for your prompt response, and here is more information. I haven't been on the air since May. Winter is here and I aim to pick up the hobby once again. I figured all my software was out of date so I downloaded and installed WSJT-X v2.2.2 and JTAlert 2.16.4. I think they are the current versions. I am sure whatever is happening is my fault, probably something got screwed up with the re-installs. What I believe is happening is that JTAlert displays the very first stations decoded, but clears those fields when the next batch of signals is decoded, then clears the display again when the final batch shows up. This three level decoding is new to me, so I'm sure I am misinterpreting something. I just don't see what benefit there is to the "early" decoding if it flashes on and off the screen too fast for me to read it, let alone click on it. Sorry to be a bother. I spent several hours today trying to figure this out and I am stumped. John

John Peck

Willie, I can't find that screen on my system. Exactly how do you get to it? Thanks, John

Joe - W9RF

Jim,

I have the same problem but have never mentioned it.

If you are just setting back and not making any contacts the decode (band activity) window erases soon after the activity stops and displays a new group of calls, but if you make a contact and log it the window will close much faster and be blank for several seconds.

BTW my computer is not slow either.

73,

W9RF -Joe

On Monday, November 16, 2020, 7:56:34 PM CST, John Peck <johnpeck@...> wrote:

Jim, Not sure what you mean by the "decodes" window. And I have a reasonably fast computer.

John Peck

John KC4LZN, yes that is exactly what is happening to me! Glad to know I am not alone!

AB8WD-Willie

JT ALERT

Manage settings
Window
Text messages

Jim Cooper

On 16 Nov 2020 at 17:56, John Peck wrote:

> Jim, Not sure what you mean by the "decodes" window. And I have a
> reasonably fast computer.

graphic

see the two arrows ...

graphic

Have you enabled this option?  It helps keep the calls visible
for a longer time under some conditions.

de w2jc

neil_zampella

John .. current JT-Alert version is 2.16.15 .... with the updated 3 pass decoder in WSJT-X v2.2.2, the older versions of JT-Alert were not setup to cover the 3 passes.

Neil, KN3ILZ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/11/2020 1:01 pm, John KC4LZN wrote:

I'm running 2.16.1 and WSJT-X (Ver 2.2.2) goes through what appears a second sweep checking for missing signals and when it finds them, it posts them and JTAlert seems to clears the first sweep and posts the results of the second sweep.

Make sense?

73
John
KC4LZN

That's to be expected because you updated WSJT-X to the new early (@ 12 secs) and multi-pass decoding version but didn't bother to update your JTAlert version.
A new build of JTAlert had to be released that took into account the new early decoding of WSJT-X 2.2.0. That was JTAlert version 2.16.5

From the 2.16.5 release notes...
  Changes:

    - WSJT-X 2.2.0 FT8: Callsign clearing time adjustments for early decodes.

Upgrade your JTAlert version and the premature clearing of decoded callsigns will be resolved.

On 17/11/2020 1:08 pm, ray cathode via groups.io wrote:
BTW my computer is not slow either.

That means nothing. It may not be slow in your eyes, but without quoted CPU core count, speed and Memory installed, it is impossible to offer any informed commentry as to what is causing your issue.

What is your CPU load when WSJT-X is decoding?
Is WSJT-X still producing decodes into the next time period?

On 17/11/2020 1:05 pm, John Peck wrote:
[...]
_._

Your description of the callsign clearing is the reason I asked about Versions.

Your JTAlert 2.16.4 version is the culprit.

A new build of JTAlert had to be released that took into account the new early and 3-pass decoding of WSJT-X 2.2.0. That was JTAlert version 2.16.5

From the 2.16.5 release notes...
  Changes:

    - WSJT-X 2.2.0 FT8: Callsign clearing time adjustments for early decodes.

Upgrade your JTAlert version and the premature clearing of decoded callsigns will be resolved.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe - W9RF

Laurie,

Actually they don't get cleared before I can see them (guess I misunderstood the subject)

What I was referring to was the fact that if you complete a qso and log it the callsigns go away faster than normal (about twice as fast)
I suppose it's something with the programing.

I like to log a callsign and click on another one before the callsigns go away..
Guess you could call it speed calling/clicking??

Dell Precision T5500
Intel Xeon CPU X5650 2.67 gig (6 core)
24 gig ram
Win7 Pro 64 bit

73,

W9RF - Joe

On Monday, November 16, 2020, 11:58:31 PM CST, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

On 17/11/2020 1:08 pm, ray cathode via groups.io wrote:
BTW my computer is not slow either.

That means nothing. It may not be slow in your eyes, but without quoted CPU core count, speed and Memory installed, it is impossible to offer any informed commentry as to what is causing your issue.

What is your CPU load when WSJT-X is decoding?
Is WSJT-X still producing decodes into the next time period?

de Laurie VK3AMA

John KC4LZN

Laurie,

You were absolutely correct. Was not aware that I was that far out in updates and made the update to the current version of 2.16.15 and the call signs remain and did not clear.

John, give it an update and hopefully you'll see the same results.

73
John
KC4LZN

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 01:21 ray cathode via groups.io <ray_cathode1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Apparently when I began operations again after the summer break I clicked on the wrong link and installed 2.16.4 instead of 2.16.15. Problem solved. Sorry for the false alarm.

John Peck

And.... thanks for all the new features and upgrades in the last six months! Can't wait to try them all.