locked Callsign window has some problems

WB5JJJ - George

I have a very strict selection process in JTAlert.  I only see stations that I've not worked before that are LoTW users.  This would include any other alerts as well.  So I don't see B4 and non-LoTW users as they are shown already in WSJTx Band Activity, so no need to duplicate.  So, I've been watching the Callsign window carefully and noticed the following.

If a station is calling me, I hear the "Calling You" announcement and I see them in position 1, 2 or 3 (whatever the number calling).  Then I hear "New Prefix" and it pops UNDER the 1st position on the left.  If I click on any "X" in the calling me boxes, they spread out and the new prefix is shown after the calling me callsigns.  This also happens with "Wanted DX".

If the prefix or DXCC is in the first decode, it gets covered by any new "Calling You" alerts that arrive after.

--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/04/2021 11:58 am, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I am not following what you're describing. What is position 1, 2 or 3 referring to? Try posting some screen-captures of the relevant windows when the undersirable displays are present.

de Laurie VK3AMA

WB5JJJ - George

The 1,2,3 are positions from the left side of the Callsign Window.

I sent you a support request so you will have my settings and such to check.

--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

WB5JJJ - George

Caught it happening.

Screen 1 is the calling me on top of 2 announced wanted prefix callsigns.
Screen 2 is after I clicked the "x" and it shows what was hidden.
Screen 3 same as 1 with different stations.
Screen 4 same as 2 with different stations.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Joe Subich, W4TV

Increase the *HEIGHT* of your callsigns display to display a
second row.

Notice in Screen 1, 3 and 4 there is a gray line at the *TOP*
of the callsigns display. In Screen 2 that line is at the
*BOTTOM* of the callsigns display.

That gray line separates the "calling me" section of the window
and the "alerts" section. You need at least two rows in the
callsigns window otherwise the "calling me" section will overlay
the "alerts" (general callsigns) area.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-04-16 10:19 AM, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
Caught it happening.
Screen 1 is the calling me on top of 2 announced wanted prefix callsigns.
Screen 2 is after I clicked the "x" and it shows what was hidden.
Screen 3 same as 1 with different stations.
Screen 4 same as 2 with different stations.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

WB5JJJ - George

Thanks for you suggestion Joe.  But I desire to use a minimalist single line display for this as with earlier versions.  I'll live with the pop UNDER for lower priority items to keep it to one line.  Don't need a 2nd line that will be mostly empty space occupying real estate.  Besides the calling me calls are duplicated in both lines anyway just wasting space.

JTA filters all the chaff from the wheat for me, leaving just new LoTW callers and wanted DXCC, New Prefix and a couple other alert items.  A quick glance tells me all I really need to know in the moment, while WSJTx BA shows me the rest, if I'm interested.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Joe Subich, W4TV

Well, you can always disable the callers list all together since the
callers are duplicated in the main display. Click on the gear icon
or press F2, then select Callers and choose "Disabled" in the "Display
Position" box.

With your single line, you might also be able to choose Left or Right
and divide the long single line.

I use a tall and narrow Callsigns window since it fits my display real
estate better than a horizontal display so I have room to allow one
short line of "callers" at the bottom of the display.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-04-16 11:59 AM, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
Thanks for you suggestion Joe.  But I desire to use a minimalist single line display for this as with earlier versions.  I'll live with the pop UNDER for lower priority items to keep it to one line.  Don't need a 2nd line that will be mostly empty space occupying real estate.  Besides the calling me calls are duplicated in both lines anyway just wasting space.
JTA filters all the chaff from the wheat for me, leaving just new LoTW callers and wanted DXCC, New Prefix and a couple other alert items.  A quick glance tells me all I really need to know in the moment, while WSJTx BA shows me the rest, if I'm interested.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 17/04/2021 1:59 am, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
Thanks for you suggestion Joe.  But I desire to use a minimalist single line display for this as with earlier versions.  I'll live with the pop UNDER for lower priority items to keep it to one line.  Don't need a 2nd line that will be mostly empty space occupying real estate.  Besides the calling me calls are duplicated in both lines anyway just wasting space.

JTA filters all the chaff from the wheat for me, leaving just new LoTW callers and wanted DXCC, New Prefix and a couple other alert items.  A quick glance tells me all I really need to know in the moment, while WSJTx BA shows me the rest, if I'm interested.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

If you want single line only, which will automatically show a vertical scroll bar when the number of callsigns exceeds the space available, you need to have the Callers display position set to either "Right" or "Left", NOT "Top" or "Bottom".

If you're not interested in seeing the Callers in a separate view of the Callsigns window (where they persists and don't clear at the end of a period) then set the Callers display position to "Disabled"

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 17/04/2021 4:08 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Well, you can always disable the callers list all together since the
callers are duplicated in the main display.  Click on the gear icon
or press F2, then select Callers and choose "Disabled" in the "Display
Position" box.

With your single line, you might also be able to choose Left or Right
and divide the long single line.

I use a tall and narrow Callsigns window since it fits my display real
estate better than a horizontal display so I have room to allow one
short line of "callers" at the bottom of the display.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV
You beat me to my response, which essentially says the same, but not as clear in the detail.

de Laurie VK3AMA

WB5JJJ - George

That works very well. I was just was not totally clear as to what the options did.

A great space saver would be to eliminate the duplicated callers in the 2nd area would make it even better.

Again a great program and love the new layout.

--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 17/04/2021 5:35 am, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
A great space saver would be to eliminate the duplicated callers in the 2nd area would make it even better.
The Callers area, by design, only contains stations calling you, it does not auto-clear like the main view at the end of a period. It allows you to see past Callers that you have not worked. Its a convenience feature for those users who tend to generate small pile-ups.

If you don't want the convenience of seeing past callers, how often they called, and when they last called, when they may no longer be visible in the main display, simple, disable the Callers display.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 17/04/2021 5:35 am, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
A great space saver would be to eliminate the duplicated callers in the 2nd area would make it even better.
In addition to my last message, the duplication of the Caller callsigns, one in the main view, and one in the Callers view, is similar to how WSJT-X displays decodes. A Calling station will show under both the "Band Activity" left list and the "Rx Frequency" right list with the decode in the left list typically scrolling out of view in a few seconds while remaining much longer in the less populated right list. JTAlert behaves similarly in the persistence of the Callsigns.

The choice to not see the Callers in a separate view is in your hands, just disable the view. JTAlert offers a lot of user-choice.

de Laurie VK3AMA