--
Curt VE3ZN

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-04-03 9:30 AM, Curt Bowles wrote:

2. Did QRM or some other software issue on my end fail to catch
the 73 and therefore not log the contact?
WSJTX and JTAlert will prompt you to log the QSO when 1) You *receive*
"RRR", 2) You *receive* "RR73", 3) you *send* "RRR" or 4) you *send*
RR73.

These four cases are the correct definitions of a "completed QSO".

There *IS NO REQUIREMENT* to send/receive 73 (acknowledge your QSO
partner's acknowledgement of your report).

If you delay logging the QSO until you have received "73" and never
receive that "73", the "broken QSO" is on you - not WSJTX/JTAlert.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-04-03 9:30 AM, Curt Bowles wrote:
Good Day:
I am using WSJT-x V2.3.0 & JTAlert 2.16.17 with DXLab. It is set up for logging and works just fine on all normal QSO’s. I have been using this setup for a year but I am still learning. I hope I can describe the use case correctly.
Occasionally I work a DX and get a broken QSO…. That is I’m guess I may not have receive the 73 basically the auto sequence does not finished so obviously the QSO doesn’t get log.
When I sync eQSL or LOTW with DXKeeper. I will see a FT8 QSO not found as the broken QSO did not get logged. So then I have to go ALL.txt and look up the info…! And hand log the QSO after the fact if I consider that is legit (Broken QSO)!
1.   So is this actually considered a legit QSO?
2.   Did QRM or some other software issue on my end fail to catch the 73 and therefore not log the contact?
3.   Is there a way to force logging of a broken QSO if you note the sequence is not completing?
4.   Last question: Is it ok to occasionally clean out (delete) entries in the ALL.TXT file to reduce its size?
--
Curt VE3ZN

Jim Cooper

On 3 Apr 2021 at 14:49, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> On 2021-04-03 9:30 AM, Curt Bowles wrote:
>
> > 2.   Did QRM or some other software issue on my end fail to
> > catch the 73 and therefore not log the contact?
>
> WSJTX and JTAlert will prompt you to
> log the QSO when 1) You *receive*
> "RRR", 2) You *receive* "RR73", 3)
> you *send* "RRR" or 4) you *send*
> RR73.

ONLY if you have checked the setting box
on the Reporting tab of WSJT-X

graphic

Curt Bowles

“Prompt me to log QSO” is checked. In my email I said it is set up for logging and works!  I guess I am a little slow on the uptake but not all of us are digital and/or software experts.

Are you guy’s suggesting by the comment “the broken QSO is on you”... That I should have forced the auto processes by selecting and sending TX4 (c/s VE3ZN 73) manually after the TX3 msg (c/s VE3ZN R –xx) was sent several times.  And as a result the software will prompt me to log. Assuming #3 & #4 in your statement “WSJTX and JTAlert will prompt you to log the QSO when 1) You *receive*"RRR", 2) You *receive* "RR73", 3) you *send* "RRR" or 4) you *send* RR73” is true!

Curt VE3ZN

Jim Cooper

On 4 Apr 2021 at 5:46, Curt Bowles wrote:

That I should have forced the auto
processes by selecting and sending
TX4 (c/s VE3ZN 73) manually after
the TX3 msg (c/s VE3ZN R "xx) was sent
several times. And as a result the
software will prompt me to log.
you do not really have to go to all that
trouble ... just click the [ Log QSO ] button
on the left side of the WSJT-X main window!
but do it before you select another callsign.

This is really a WSJT-X operating question,
and should be handled in their groups.io group.

w2jc

Curt Bowles

Jim....

I've never used the log button; as a normal QSO gets logged into DXKeeper automatically. I get it now! Thanks for clarifying.

It does get confusing with the integration of  WSJT-X, JTALERT and DXLab which group you should be using...lol!

Curt VE3ZN

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-04-04 8:46 AM, Curt Bowles wrote:
Are you guy’s suggesting by the comment “the broken QSO is on you”...
That I should have forced the auto processes by selecting and sending
TX4 (c/s VE3ZN 73) manually after the TX3 msg (c/s VE3ZN R –xx) was
sent several times.
No. you apparently did not receive "RRR" or 'RR73" even though the
other station received your report and sent his TX4 message multiple
times. This is one of those gray areas ... both stations have received
and acknowledged the reports but one station (you) has not heard the
acknowledgement. I would guess the other station was sending RR73
and when not hearing further R-xx reports assumed you had heard the
RR73 and logged the QSO.

It comes down to a question of whether *you* consider it a valid QSO
without hearing (decoding) RR73 from the other station? Is there an
RR73 in your WSJTX.all file? Do you feel there is enough in the
WSJTX.all file to constitute a *complete* QSO?

I think Jim is correct, this is really a WSJTX operating question and
should be raised in <main@WSJTX.groups.io>. However, be prepared for
the onslaught of the "it's not a QSO until both sides have send 73"
mafia.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-04-04 8:46 AM, Curt Bowles wrote:
“Prompt me to log QSO” is checked. In my email I said it is set up for logging and works! I guess I am a little slow on the uptake but not all of us are digital and/or software experts.
Are you guy’s suggesting by the comment “the broken QSO is on you”... That I should have forced the auto processes by selecting and sending TX4 (c/s VE3ZN 73) manually after the TX3 msg (c/s VE3ZN R –xx) was sent several times. And as a result the software will prompt me to log. Assuming #3 & #4 in your statement “WSJTX and JTAlert will prompt you to log the QSO when 1) You *receive*"RRR", 2) You *receive* "RR73", 3) you *send* "RRR" or 4) you *send* RR73” is true!
Curt VE3ZN

Steve Roth - AD4K

It turns out to be a judgment call.

Mobile