Topics

locked Bitdefender

Fred

Well Bitdefender has finally grabbed JTAlert and this time I can not figure out how to fix it.

Of course it says the JTAlert is a ... Trojan.GenericKD.42497309
I have been fighting this for years and this time I am stumped.

I called them and now I have to jump thru hoops and send them the files in question.
They don't make it easy.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Fred KB4QZH

John

Fred,

Um, ditch Bitdefender and use MS Defender, it is free.
I have not had any problems with any of my ham software, HRD, N1MM+, WSJT-X,
JTAlert or Win4Yaesusuite or any other software, yes, it alerts me to something
it hasn't seen, but I just click on "Run it anyway" and I never get the alert
again.

John
VE3KKQ

Well Bitdefender has finally grabbed JTAlert and this time I can not figure
out how to fix it.

Of course it says the JTAlert is a ... Trojan.GenericKD.42497309
I have been fighting this for years and this time I am stumped.

I called them and now I have to jump thru hoops and send them the files in
question.
They don't make it easy.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Fred KB4QZH

Fred

Thanks John for the info.
Well it might come to that..

But I have been using Bitdefender for a long time.
It works and sometimes to good.

I did finally get a it to work but only last for a while.

So here's what I did.
I told it to restore all the files.
Then JTAlert was able to run.

I ran it for abt an hour.
Then it grabbed the files again.

I contacted Bitdefender support and sent them the files using their file archive app.

So they will be able to put that into new versions on the software.
I hope that makes sense...and works..

Thanks
Fred KB4QZH

John

Hi Fred,

I used to use AVAST for many years, it got to a point where I got fed-up with
the constant upgrade for this much money, then when you did, they would try to
up sell you some more, Avast never was like that in the beginning, the software
was developed by a guy who lived on the old commerce canals in a narrow boat in
the UK. Another story where the money spoils the concept.

Anyway, I uninstalled Avast to try Windows Defender, haven't looked back.

John

But I have been using Bitdefender for a long time.
It works and sometimes to good.

I did finally get a it to work but only last for a while.

So here's what I did.
I told it to restore all the files.
Then JTAlert was able to run.

I ran it for abt an hour.
Then it grabbed the files again.

I contacted Bitdefender support and sent them the files using their file
archive app.

So they will be able to put that into new versions on the software.
I hope that makes sense...and works..

Thanks
Fred KB4QZH

Stewart Wilkinson

I have been using BitDefender for a number of years and the probelm with false positive detections in each update of JTAlert seems to have got worse of the last few months.

The 2.15.10 update that I just installed has cause reports of different 'Trojan.GenericKD.xxxxxxx' in JTAlert.exe and JTAlert_AL.exe as well as a 'Potentially malicious application' report for JTAlertSettings.exe (with no indication of what that means).

I have submitted all 3 for checking, and submitted an update for my on-going ticket with them regarding this everytime JTAlert is updated with a note about how annoying this is and that I hope a permanent solution can be found (I doubt that will happen but we can only hope).

To allow the latest version to run I had to allow BitDefender to do it's 'disinfection' and then go to the 'Notifications' and select each of the reported problems (capture the information for submitting the False Positive reports) and click the options to Restore the file (it even removes the Desktop Shortcuts so have to restore those too). The action of Restoring the files automatically creates a scanning exception and allows the programs to run. (I remove the exceptions in a few days after they have fixed the database).

I useĀ https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/ for the submissions.

Stewart G0LGS

John

I'll assume (dangerous I know) that all the chit-chat is based on Win 10, I was
a loyal AVAST user for over ten years, eventually I got I tired of the
relatively recent constant up-selling their marketing department was (is?)
doing. It was around this time that I realized that Win 10/MS had their own very
effective anti virus software, free I will add. So, I gave it a try, it worked,
yes it would bring my attention to the fact that there was some unknown software
it wasn't familiar with, I would just say run it anyway. Now there have been
several improved versions of JTAlert since telling MS Defender the software was
safe yet I have not been notified about subsequent versions of JTAlert.

I theorize that as Win 10 has a different model to traditional software in that
it is updated semi-automatically, that there must be a two way communication
between each user and MS HQ, ergo any new software that MS Defender encounters
and is OK'd by a user gets trickled down through the update networking, clever,
convenient and scary all at the same time.

The above is my take on the situation, I have been wrong in the past though...

John

I use https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/ (
https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/ ) for the submissions.

Stewart G0LGS

Fred

Yes I'm using Win 10 64 bit.
I'm still waiting for a word from Bitdefender so far nothing.
I was on 40m this and had no problem but no doubt it will happen again...

Not sure how many of you guys have ever had a virus or malware.
I have and it's not easy to get rid of.
This was a long time ago not even sure which version of Windows...back then PC's were not the center of the world like today.

One time I couldn't even reformatt the drive.
So I'm a little gun shy

I have a hard time believing it as easy as save my money and use MS Defender... It's tempting though.

Guess l just ride this crazy train just a little while longer.

Fred KB4QZH