Topics

locked B4 Issue #FT8

Charlie Hoffman

I'm having a problem with the B4 filter.
I have it turned on so that I should not see any calls worked B4.
It does not always work correctly.
I also have CQ alerts turned on.
Some calls are still highlighted as a new CQ call even when shows on the same page as worked B4 like the call K5DGC
in this capture.  This is not the first time this has happened.   I've called stations and had them tell me that I worked them B4.
It's embarrassing...
Is this a bug or is there a setting that I need to change.

Dave Garber

the difference i see is you qso before reports a different grid than whan the k5 station is sending.   the dark green is grid wanted, i believe.  that is why the alert.  

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 1:15 AM Charlie Hoffman <hoffmanc@...> wrote:
I'm having a problem with the B4 filter.
I have it turned on so that I should not see any calls worked B4.
It does not always work correctly.
I also have CQ alerts turned on.
Some calls are still highlighted as a new CQ call even when shows on the same page as worked B4 like the call K5DGC
in this capture.  This is not the first time this has happened.   I've called stations and had them tell me that I worked them B4.
It's embarrassing...
Is this a bug or is there a setting that I need to change.

Cleon Rose

I was having the same problem. Laurie had me change the alert filter to no QSL and it solved it. 

Cleon WA7RCT

Charlie Hoffman

Dave had the correct answer for my case.

I found that the B4 grid information was pulled from my own local logbook (HRDLog)
while the grid info in the lower screen is what is actually decoded.  As soon as I changed
my old HRD log entry from EL09 to DM91, I no longer received an alert.

I don't know why the B4 grid location is not pulled from the XML lookup location.
What is the purpose of me specifying WEB/XML lookup location as QRZ and providing a password?
When does JTAlert use the XML lookup feature and what is it used for?

I need more training ....

Dave Garber

did you confirm that the operator was never at el09, before changing it.  he may have been portable somewhere, which may mean the entry was correct, and you needed the grid after all..

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Charlie Hoffman <hoffmanc@...> wrote:

I found that the B4 grid information was pulled from my own local logbook (HRDLog)
while the grid info in the lower screen is what is actually decoded.  As soon as I changed

I don't know why the B4 grid location is not pulled from the XML lookup location.
What is the purpose of me specifying WEB/XML lookup location as QRZ and providing a password?

I need more training ....

Jim Cooper

On 11 Feb 2021 at 9:24, Charlie Hoffman wrote:

I found that the B4 grid information
was pulled from my own local logbook
(HRDLog) while the grid info in the
lower screen is what is actually
decoded. 
don't you think that the decoded grid
might be a bit more accurate that some
archived database? after all, that is the
grid that the operator decided to use at
the present time. He might be portable;
or moved and not yet changed the FCC
address; etc.

As far as the xml lookup, it's 'interesting'
background info.

w2jc

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/02/2021 4:24 am, Charlie Hoffman wrote:

All B4 checks are done against your local logbook (HRD in your case). The XML service is NEVER used for B4 checks, it is too slow and impracticable. Trying to do B4 lookups for a full band of decodes by going online to do an XML lookup for each callsign would add many seconds to the processing, likely to run into the new FT8 period or beyond. (realistically with current QRZ.com performance and reliability this could take a minute or more for a 40+ decode period)

The XML service is used to gather information about your current QSO partner (the DXCall in WSJT-X) to populate the log fields area of JTAlert for ultimate combining with the minimal QSO data from WSJT-X when you log the contact.

As for changing the previously recorded Grid in your log, why do that, unless you know it was wrong when logged. The station may now be operating from a new location compared to when you logged them in the past.

This difference in grids, current on-air grid compared to previous log entry is why they were not flagged as a B4. The B4 checks consider the Grid (as well as the Mode and Band) in determining the B4 status. If your not interested in chasing unique grids, set the "Ignore Grid" option for the B4 Alert settings.

de Laurie, VK3AMA

Charlie Hoffman

Thank you for that critical information.
I did not have "Wanted Grid Alert" enabled but had overlooked the additional option of "ignore gridsquare" in the B4 Alert section.
I'm sure that selection will solve my issue.

I sincerely thank you for the great work.
As a retired 40+ year IT UNIX Systems Administrator, I am fully aware of the challenges you face with all the "feature requests"
and educating the users.  I really appreciate the extremely useful features that are provided by JTAlert.  I just hope it doesn't become
a victim of creeping featurism'

73 - WD4CNO