Topics

AutoIT error; JTalert

Joe Roth

A few days ago I received this error. A clean re-install did not help.
What could be the fix?
Joe
AutoIT Error

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 27/07/2020 3:40 am, Joe Roth wrote:
A few days ago I received this error. A clean re-install did not help.
What could be the fix?
Joe
Joe,

Unfortunately, there is no know fix for this random error. Only a small number of users have experienced this fault and it is not repeated with each JTAlert start. My only suggestions...
  • Ensure that Windows has had a recent Restart.
  • If you PC is under-powered (4 or less cores and less than 8GB RAM) don't try and run many concurrent applications, especially Web Browsers with many Tabs open.
  • Configure your PC protection software to NOT scan your %localappdata%\HamApps\ directory.

On 27/07/2020 3:40 am, Joe Roth wrote:
A few days ago I received this error. A clean re-install did not help.
What could be the fix?
Joe
Did you follow the advice I posted in your earlier thread about this problem?
See https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/31090

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Roth

Edited

Still no go.
I deleted all the file & folders including those in localappdata.
Scanned and cleaned anything in the registry.
Re-booted, re-installed. Made sure no programs were running in the background. Got the same error with one minor change; instead of line 22238 it is now 22265.

UPDATE:
I repeated the un-install, directory and registry clean up.
Rebooted with a fresh install. But this time, I launched JTalert before WSJT-X (opposite of what I had done in the past year). It loaded and sees to function. THEN...
when I clicked on Settings, I get another AutoIT error.
Screen shot:
https://qsl.net/wc4r/jtalert2.png

Michael Black

What kind of computer/memory/cpu/speed do you have?

This seems to be more common in slower computers.

I haven't seen this error at all on my new computer and saw it a few times on the older one I had.

Mike

On Thursday, July 30, 2020, 07:01:15 PM CDT, Joe Roth <joe.wc4r@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Still no go.
I deleted all the file & folders including those in localappdata.
Scanned and cleaned anything in the registry.
Re-booted, re-installed. Made sure no programs were running in the background. Got the same error with one minor change; instead of line 22238 it is now 22265.

UPDATE:
I repeated the un-install, directory and registry clean up.
Rebooted with a fresh install. But this time, I launched JTalert before WSJT-X (opposite of what I had done in the past year). It loaded and sees to function. THEN...
when I clicked on Settings, I get another AutoIT error.
Screen shot:
https://qsl.net/wc4r/jtalert2.png

Joe Roth

Same PC I've been using since JTAlert and WSJT-X was first offered. This docx file has all the details.
https://qsl.net/wc4r/PC_info.docx

Michael Black

Seems like that should be OK.  Just for experimentations sake try raising the priority of JTAlert and see if it makes any difference.

I've been using ProcessHacker which allows things like CPU affinity and priority to be remembered for processes.

Mike W9MDB

On Friday, July 31, 2020, 08:48:28 AM CDT, Joe Roth <joe.wc4r@...> wrote:

Same PC I've been using since JTAlert and WSJT-X was first offered. This docx file has all the details.
https://qsl.net/wc4r/PC_info.docx

Joe Roth

Edited

I set it for High and WSJT-X above normal and there was no change :(
Nice program though.
Joe

Michael Black

Try real-time -- if that makes no difference than it would appear that it's not related to any processing delay.

This is a known, unfixable problem with JTAlert V2 that will go away with V3....yet to be predicted when it will be released.

Mike W9MDB

On Friday, July 31, 2020, 11:59:54 AM CDT, Joe Roth <joe.wc4r@...> wrote:

I set it for Above normal and there was no change :(
Nice program though.
Joe

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 31/07/2020 8:41 am, Joe Roth wrote:
I repeated the un-install, directory and registry clean up.
Rebooted with a fresh install. But this time, I launched JTalert before WSJT-X (opposite of what I had done in the past year). It loaded and sees to function. THEN...
when I clicked on Settings, I get another AutoIT error.
Screen shot:
https://qsl.net/wc4r/jtalert2.png

Whatever the problem, given the consistency of the failure, my guess is that the cause is specific to your Windows environment.

Users who have experienced these AutoIT errors have reported that the frequency is inconsistent (random) and not on every execution. I don't recall other reports of the failure occurring when trying to open the Settings.

I am thinking a possible security/permissions issue with the JTAlert installation directory. Try installing JTAlert to a directory outside the Windows protected "Program Files ..." directory trees. While JTAlert has been coded correctly to work under those directories it wont hurt to install to a new location.

If after installing to a new location the problem persists, failure when trying to open the Settings, please zip up the JTAlertSettings.exe file and email it to me directly (use my QRZ listed email address)

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Roth

No improvements :(
I did set priority to real time and installed right off the C: drive root.
Laurie - The EXE file (in zip form) is on the way.
THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS GREAT SUPPORT!
Joe

Joe Roth

Did you receive my file? Any new ideas?

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/08/2020 3:27 am, Joe Roth wrote:
Did you receive my file? Any new ideas?

Yes I did and sent a reply.

The file sent was not the one I asked for. I wanted "JTAlertSettings.exe" which is located in the plugins directory.
Your previously posted error image indicated the problem was within
JTAlertSettings.exe

Rather than sending that file, please update JTAlert to the latest beta (check your email for the download link) and report back the line number shown in the error message when you try to open the Settings (I expect the problem will still be present within the latest build as it appears to be restricted to your PC environment only).

de Laurie VK3AMA