Topics

Any plans to add more RX squares ?

ed.n5dg@...

36 RX squares is fine on most bands . 20m and 40m being the busy bands an extra 16 squares would be about right . instead of 4 x 9 squares 4 X 13 would make the width about the same as WSJTX.
Thanks for the great SW , Ed N5DG

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 25/09/2020 10:15 am, ed.n5dg@... wrote:
36 RX squares is fine on most bands . 20m and 40m being the busy bands an extra 16 squares would be about right . instead of 4 x 9 squares 4 X 13 would make the width about the same as WSJTX.
Thanks for the great SW , Ed N5DG

Ed,

This has been discussed many time. See https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/29940

IMHO, 36 displayed Callsigns is TOO many. It is a chaotic mess of multiple colored callsigns. A better option is to filter out most of the unwanted Callsigns. Use the Alert Filters to help reduce the number displayed. Try filtering out B4s and non-alerting callsigns.

A JTAlert window with few callsigns displayed due to filtering makes for a more enjoyable (IMO) experience in the shack. It is less stressful time without trying to decide every 15 seconds which Callsign could be a possible QSO candidate. It is a far less chaotic experience.

The beauty with filtering is that a Callsign that is displayed in JTAlert (has passed the filtering) is likely a good candidate for a QSO. But this approach wont appeal to those more interested in racking up a high QSO count, that is qso "quantity" rather than qso "quality".

Currently, there is code with the Test Team (not yet available for public release) that removes the limit on the number of displayed Callsigns. While this new code allows for more than 36 callsigns, its primary focus is providing a flexible display window without any size restriction (width or height) with flexible sizing comes the additional benefit of increased callsigns displayed. Sorry, there is no ETA on when this will be available publicly.

de Laurie VK3AMA

TomK

I had thought of this myself but, as Laurie has previously noted and as I’ve now come understand, it is not just a matter of visual real-estate but, more importantly, the time it takes for (1) painting (aka “rendering”) the squares and (2) the user to read, interpret and react to the squares.  Perhaps even most important is, after all the above, there is no more time for the user to execute their desired action before the grid start to re-render the next time slice.

The nifty feature Laurie added a while back to retain the grid cell data as log as possible up to a limit does not help when all the grid cells are already populated.

In so much as it can take at least 1-6 secs to render all the squares based on PC and code speed plus another 1-2 secs for typical cognitive brain response.  That leaves less than 8-10 secs to visually, decipher and react to their analysis of 50 info boxes?

I may be maturing but I challenge anyone to keep that up for more than a few minutes without entering something us data nerds used to call “data wash” or “data-out”.

However, assuming there are no other limiting factors and it is technically possible, I am not opposed to allowing a user to select another 1 row and column for a total of 50 grid cells.  Such an option would be inherently self-limiting when the user realizes they can’t respond to the resulting deluge.

Just my 13 cents.

TomK KT1TK 73

[...]

Jim Cooper

On 24 Sep 2020 at 21:59, TomK wrote:

Such an option would be inherently
self-limiting when the user realizes
they can't respond to the resulting
deluge.
Besides, all the user has to do is use the
DECODES window and you can have UNlimited
numbers of decodes per cycle, nicely listed in
a tight column -- with oodles of other info on
each line. Try it !! Betcha even in that ccompressed
format you can't evaluate all 50 of them before it's
too late to do anything.

w2jc

TomK

Yup. That was the point. Thanks for your concurrence!
TomK KT1TK 73

Besides, all the user has to do is use the DECODES window and you can have
UNlimited numbers of decodes per cycle, nicely listed in a tight column --
with oodles of other info on
each line. Try it !! Betcha even in that ccompressed
format you can't evaluate all 50 of them before it's too late to do
anything.

w2jc

Bill Barrett

Since I'm only interested in DX I filter out NA and that reduces the
displayed calls to a few even on 20M. I would like one added filter to
exclude only USA calls since the caribbean is of interest to me.
Finally, would be nice if the filters were selectable for each
instance of JTAlert.
Bill W2PKY

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 8:48 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
<vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

352-437-4758

TomK

Not sure this is what you want but there is a way to filter out 1+ DXCC's.

Wait till you see any US station in the DECODES window.
Then Right-Click "United States" in the [Country Name] column.
The select "Hide DXCC Name = United States"
Then use the [Filter] menu to save this filter as something like "All but US"
Will that do it for you?

TomK KT1TK 73

[...]

Hello Tom-
This is a big help but wish the filter was applied to the regular JTA
window as well.
For those not familiar with the decodes window, Left click VIEW on JTA
window, Left click on Decode Window.
Follow Tom's directions.

--
Bill Barrett
352-437-4758

Hasan Schiers N0AN

I would like a filter that allows us to exclude USA only, NA is too broad, misses some of the more interesting Carribean islands.

...and I agree more squares is just a distraction as well as slowing things down.

So, atm, the only filter I find that helps is worked b4 filter. That reduces things a bit, but a USA filter (for display, while still permitting new STATE and Grid by Band Alerts), would be most welcome.

73, N0AN
Hasan

--
Bill Barrett