locked Add option to only Read HRD Database #HRD

Ferry PD9FER

Laurie,

Would it be possible to add a checkbox with HRD Logging to disable Database writes?

This is useful when using the Last QSO option when forwarding to UDP 2333

When the above is checked it creates duplicate entries in HRD Logbook.
To prevent it, i can disable HRD Logging, but then I lose all Alert options.

73,

Ferry PD9FER

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/01/2022 10:22 pm, Ferry PD9FER via groups.io wrote:

Would it be possible to add a checkbox with HRD Logging to disable Database writes?

This is useful when using the Last QSO option when forwarding to UDP 2333

When the above is checked it creates duplicate entries in HRD Logbook.
To prevent it, i can disable HRD Logging, but then I lose all Alert options.

73,

Ferry PD9FER
What are you trying to achieve by using this alternate logging path?

If you want to have HRD logging WSJTX QSOs direct without JTAlert doing the logging JTAlert will not be reading the HRD logbook so its alerting will very likely be inaccurate as it will not know what is in your HRD log.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ferry PD9FER

Laurie,

I want to use the callsign lookup logic in HRD.
The method that JTAlert uses bypasses it.
So I don't get the benefit of the additional sources available to me in HRD.

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/01/2022 7:13 pm, Ferry PD9FER via groups.io wrote:
I want to use the callsign lookup logic in HRD.
The method that JTAlert uses bypasses it.
So I don't get the benefit of the additional sources available to me in HRD.

Are you saying that HRDLogbook behaves differently depending on which mechanism is used to log QSOs?

What is different about the QSO forwarding logging and the TCP logging, what is HRD Logbook doing or not doing depending on how the QSO entered the logbook? Please explain the difference. Perhaps there is a command available on the HRDLogbook TCP logging api that could bn set in JTAlert to allow for what you want to see happen, see my later comments about lack of api documentation

JTAlert uses the TCP logging interface for logging which was introduced by HRD V6.3 long before the QSO forwarding interface. There are users with older HRD V6 installations that cannot use the QSO forwarding method as it is not available in their version. I don't recall which version of HRD V6 introduced the QSO forwarding mechanism. I do know, the TCP interface that JTAlert uses still works so I will be keeping that option for HRD Logbook logging.

Note: JTAlert does not write direct to the HRD log file, all writing to the log file is done by HRDLogbook itself in response to the logging instruction sent to its TCP interface, except for version earlier than V 6.3 which had no interface at all. I don't know the exact version number when that was added as all past documentation on the logging API along with associated user messages
have been purged from the HRD forums. I no longer have access to any HRD documentation on its logging interface and its requirements so will likely not be changing the JTAlert -> HRD logging over TCPIP as it currently is working.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ferry PD9FER

Edited

Yes. The callsign lookup in HRD Logbook runs when the QSO goes into HRD Logbook using the UDP "QSO Forwarding" method.

The callsign lookup does not function with the "TCP logging" that was put in-place "long before the QSO Forwarding interface."

Because of this, HRD users who wish to use the data in their log to populate lookup information (previous Comments; more detailed location information that may be in their logs in previous QSOs with that station) are unable to do so using the "TCP logging" method "from long ago."

We realize that there's not much information on this TCP logging method. Now that most applications support the UDP (QSO Forwarding) method, it's likely that the TCP logging method will be depreciated in time.

We would like to prepare for this now by asking if there's a way that JTAlert can connect to the log to load the data necessary to build the B4 and "wanted" items... but use the UDP QSO Forwarding method for sending QSOs to the log.

As Mike (WA9PIE) tells me, "We fully embrace JTAlert. We don't want anything to break in JTAlert as we move HRD forward." With that in mind, is there a solution possible?

73,

Ferry PD9FER

Ferry PD9FER

Having not heard back for a while, can I conclude No changes will be made?