locked Two working locations, two computers, need to log contacts to the same log file

Bill South

I have two working locations but need to log contacts to the same WSJT-X log. Other than using a laptop and move it between the two locations, is there a method to make the logs portable, can be transferred between the two different computers? Or conversely, can one instance of WSJT-X be accessed from different locations, kind of a client-server approach?

Thanks, 73, N4SV

Michael Black

You can use DropBox (not OneDrive) to keep the log in sync between two or more computers...for example into a "Ham" folder.

You move the log to Dropbox and then do this on each computer

mklink \users\[username]\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\wsjtx_log.adi \users\[username]\DropBox\Ham\wsjtx_log.adi

The reason to NOT use OneDrive is the synchronization between computer is not even close to real-time...can take hours.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 07:06:58 AM CDT, Bill South via groups.io <wbs099@...> wrote:

I have two working locations but need to log contacts to the same WSJT-X log.  Other than using a laptop and move it between the two locations, is there a method to make the logs portable, can be transferred between the two different computers?  Or conversely, can one instance of WSJT-X be accessed from different locations, kind of a client-server approach?

Thanks, 73, N4SV

Bill South

As an alternative to a public/cloud approach for accessing this log file from each computer, it seems I could use a local drive share on my own network to provide the same function then?

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 07:12:21 AM CDT, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

David Brittenham

If you get this local drive (or server) working, please let me know.  I've been wanting to do this for a long time and just haven't had the time to dig into it.  My son works for Microsoft and could probably do it in his sleep.  But, getting him to find time to do it is sometimes ..... challenging?  If you can dump to Dropbox, you should be able to dump to a local drive or server with no problem.  My internet router supports a local drive, but I have never investigated that option.

73
David
WA0RVK

Michael Black

That should work too.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 08:00:30 AM CDT, Bill South via groups.io <wbs099@...> wrote:

[...]

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/04/2022 11:00 pm, Bill South via groups.io wrote:
As an alternative to a public/cloud approach for accessing this log file from each computer, it seems I could use a local drive share on my own network to provide the same function then?

That is how I do it here, via a network share.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill South

Thanks for the confirmation Laurie, 73.

Bill, N4SV, EN61on

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 11:26:02 PM CDT, JTAlert Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

On 26/04/2022 11:00 pm, Bill South via groups.io wrote:
As an alternative to a public/cloud approach for accessing this log file from each computer, it seems I could use a local drive share on my own network to provide the same function then?

That is how I do it here, via a network share.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill South

Is there a configuration parameter within the program where you can specify the location of the log file, telling the program where on the network the file is located. or what shared drive letter to for? I looked and couldn't find a place to do this if there is. Thanks.

On 27/05/2022 3:01 am, Bill South via groups.io wrote:
Is there a configuration parameter within the program where you can specify the location of the log file, telling the program where on the network the file is located. or what shared drive letter to for? I looked and couldn't find a place to do this if there is.

That is dependent on the logger. Once you have the logger using a network share for the log the only change in JTAlert is to point to that new file location.

de Laurie VK3AMA